The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Shootout 2024 scramble

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Well thought it was time to put the new build up and start the process of the restoration. Hoping I can help some people out with any questions they may have with theirs. I am going to follow a very similar process to the A52 GSX build I did but make this one more of a focused build since I don’t have to be so crazy about keeping it OEM like the A52! I am so excited to be working on the A87 and can’t wait to get deep into getting it restored.

So for now here are the off the trailer shots and some things I have done so far!

1660086361644.jpeg

1660086372671.jpeg

1660086403224.jpeg

Last edited:
Picked the vehicle up with the entire drivetrain removed from it and shoved inside the vehicle inside the cabin and in the trunk. Got to work on sorting everything and seeing exactly what I had and what things looked like. Seller said it was complete and didn’t need anything but just to be put together… we will see about that hahahaha…

1660086556347.jpeg

1660086584275.jpeg

1660086613421.jpeg

1660086638403.jpeg

I haven't seen a DSM with an engine in the trunk since back in the day when Vinny Singh put one there. Looking forward to the build.

Oh no, the car is not a rear engine powered, it was just thrown in the trunk when it was shipped. Can't complain though since I would have paid what I did just for the completely rust free shell, so getting the drivetrain with it was a huge bonus.

Looks pretty clean, all in all. Taking on that scope of project (engine in the trunk) would be too much commitment for me, but as others have said, looking forward to following your progress posts.

Thank you man. I am pumped with everything so far and sooo happy I found such a good roller. So far zero rust and MOST everything seems to be there haha. Only one broken bolt so far too which is amazing.

Well I did get around to breaking down the block and started on the head as well. Plan was to send everything out to be hot tanked/bored over and then high temp painted. Now I am not really sure I want to bore it over. May just keep it pretty stock and just replace the rings. Crank/journals-cap/pistons all look really good. Was praying for a 97 split thrust block but no luck there. Also, have no idea why but once I started taking the head apart I stopped when I realized it was a 6bolt head.. so probably going to throw it on the shelf and hoard it for no reason like a typical dsm owner haha.

1660189292382.jpeg

1660189337178.jpeg

1660189401472.jpeg

That's a head from a 2.4L. I would check the block as well. The whole thing might be a 2.4L. Looking into it a bit further because it confused me a bit. That's a 7 bolt head but that stamping screams 2.4L which was only available in DOHC, correct me if I'm wrong, on the Galant?

Edit. I think I'm wrong about it being a 2.4L. Further research leads me to believe this may be an EVO 1 head.

Last edited:
That's a head from a 2.4L. I would check the block as well. The whole thing might be a 2.4L. Looking into it a bit further because it confused me a bit. That's a 7 bolt head but that stamping screams 2.4L which was only available in DOHC, correct me if I'm wrong, on the Galant?

Edit. I think I'm wrong about it being a 2.4L. Further research leads me to believe this may be an EVO 1 head.

I also did a quick google search and does seem to be an Evo head. It has the small runner features of the 2G but thermostat feature of a 1G haha. I am not sure if I should even keep it or give it to someone that may need it. We will see I guess. I am also now going to double check the block when I get home as well. Thank you for the heads up.

I see what you did there.😆
Also, the thermostat housing bolt pattern looks like a 2g as well. Check the exhaust manifold bolt sizes. 2g will have 2 larger ones on the outside.
So looked at it again and it is a hybrid of a 1G and 2G which makes me thing it’s def an Evo head. It has the thermostat housing of a 1G but runners and exhaust stud sizes of a 2G. Either way it’s going on the shelf since I have plans to use the magnus intake I bought years ago haha. Glad you caught my little pun too haha. Just came to me off the top of my head last night..

1660247289649.jpeg

1660247259996.jpeg

Well, got started on the interior since I need to get at the pedals and everything related. Removing every single metal piece I can to be powder coated so there is never an issue with this ugly surface rust that develops on everything. Dash is removed and all metal mounting brackets now removed. Also removed all pedal assemblies for powder coat. Tunnel parts are next.

1660257161450.jpeg

1660257212111.jpeg

What do the head intake runners look like?
And is the CAS end of the intake cam threaded?
Is there a place to bolt a 95-96 CAS under the intake CAM gear?

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back