The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Shootout 2024 scramble

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So my plan underneath was/is, ospho all oxidization after all the grinding etc, rust converter/primer the seams, Eastwood seam sealer where I deem a good idea (figured out through all the cleaning there’s a good reason the lowest points should be left open; a place for moisture to drain). Clean with Eastwood “Pre” thoroughly, Eastwood Rust Encapsulator Platinum, touch up/ add rubberized undercoating where needed or removed to treat rust, top coat with base color to match as factory did, clear for protection with 2k or something. I think this should also work for the wheel wells, just not sure if I want the wells base color like original or go black there for contrast and help show off the hardware. See any reasons this approach would fail?

So it's (1) self-etching primer, then (2) Por15, then (3) rubber coating? I thought that Por15 did some metal-magic on its own, doesn't the primer interfere with that? (Sorry, I'm a noob and just learning about all this stuff.)

Your car is going to be better-than-new! Inspirational.

No need to apologize dude!! I always welcome any questions! So with the por15, yes, they do recommend applying it directly on metal especially if there is any rust or anything you are trying to encapsulate. Since I took my frame down to bare metal, I felt more comfortable applying it over the seam sealer, seam spray, and self etching primer. If it was a daily driver or something that is expected to see some moisture, then you would want to apply it directly to the metal most likely. They claim the product could lose some moisture barrier abilities if applied over something else. For my build however I think the etching primer and THEN coating will work better though. If you are considering it on a daily or road car, definitely should probably follow their recommendations.

So my plan underneath was/is, ospho all oxidization after all the grinding etc, rust converter/primer the seams, Eastwood seam sealer where I deem a good idea (figured out through all the cleaning there’s a good reason the lowest points should be left open; a place for moisture to drain). Clean with Eastwood “Pre” thoroughly, Eastwood Rust Encapsulator Platinum, touch up/ add rubberized undercoating where needed or removed to treat rust, top coat with base color to match as factory did, clear for protection with 2k or something. I think this should also work for the wheel wells, just not sure if I want the wells base color like original or go black there for contrast and help show off the hardware. See any reasons this approach would fail?

I think all of that would work perfectly fine as long as everything is done at the correct times. Mainly be sure to apply the top coat over the por15 right after it gets to the finger drag stage. If not you would have to really scuff up the por15 to get anything to stick again. Waaay more work than you will want to do! And also if you top coat the rubber with more paint and clear, remember that it will be textured. Other than that, everything sounds good to me. But also I have never used the Eastwood product on anything but inner frame rails and stuff. Never out in the open. So not sure how the product works exactly!

I think all of that would work perfectly fine as long as everything is done at the correct times. Mainly be sure to apply the top coat over the por15 right after it gets to the finger drag stage. If not you would have to really scuff up the por15 to get anything to stick again. Waaay more work than you will want to do! And also if you top coat the rubber with more paint and clear, remember that it will be textured. Other than that, everything sounds good to me. But also I have never used the Eastwood product on anything but inner frame rails and stuff. Never out in the open. So not sure how the product works exactly!
Yah that’s been my biggest conundrum trying to plan this all out is the timing of all the coats in succession in one weekend. Definitely don’t want to have to scuff anything down for next application to stick! Way too much work!

Yah that’s been my biggest conundrum trying to plan this all out is the timing of all the coats in succession in one weekend. Definitely don’t want to have to scuff anything down for next application to stick! Way too much work!

Oh for sure. It took me a solid FULL day to get the coatings done, but hours and hours and hours getting it to bare metal, not to mention the wait time on the seam sealer LOL! Whole process takes 2 weeks easily.

Oh for sure. It took me a solid FULL day to get the coatings done, but hours and hours and hours getting it to bare metal, not to mention the wait time on the seam sealer LOL! Whole process takes 2 weeks easily.
I’m going on like 6-8 weeks I think LOL! But I’m only working on it on Saturday’s.

So started on the engine bay, huge pain in the butt as well hahahaha. Just so much work to get everything down to metal and clean. Still a lot more work to do but so far no more rust found and the towers are really clean.

1682816086770.jpeg

So started on the engine bay, huge pain in the butt as well hahahaha. Just so much work to get everything down to metal and clean. Still a lot more work to do but so far no more rust found and the towers are really clean.

View attachment 694303
While you are here you will want to consider welding the seams a bit more and upper arm tubes. These tend to be a weak zone and although racers pull them you dont want them getting weak on you later and moving with nice coatings on, while its raw a bead of weld around the tubes will help protect for a long time for you.

While you are here you will want to consider welding the seams a bit more and upper arm tubes. These tend to be a weak zone and although racers pull them you dont want them getting weak on you later and moving with nice coatings on, while its raw a bead of weld around the tubes will help protect for a long time for you.
Good advice Bobby. Would you recommend a continuous bead or would additional spot welds suffice at the seams?

So since this is now the second trusted person I know to suggest this, I am def going to do it. Jesse also recommended the same thing. As you know I am planning to track the car so now would absolutely be the best time do to it. I am thinking a continuous bead on the top might be best. Although knowing my skill, it will be in three start and stops.

So since this is now the second trusted person I know to suggest this, I am def going to do it. Jesse also recommended the same thing. As you know I am planning to track the car so now would absolutely be the best time do to it. I am thinking a continuous bead on the top might be best. Although knowing my skill, it will be in three start and stops.
I know nothing about welding but it's something I considered trying so it's on the list. My only concern would be warping the shit out of it.

I know nothing about welding but it's something I considered trying so it's on the list. My only concern would be warping the shit out of it.

For sure! I am going to stick a spare set of upper control arms I have up into the sleeves while I weld around the outside to help with that. Just control heat based on material thickness and wire feed with the machine and should be ok.

As long as the whole tube is welded you will be ok and it dont matter if its in 3 or 4 sections. Just however you can do it, smaller spots might be good as it will control heat better without burning through the towers thinner material

So knocked out the strut tubes today! Did some testing to see which method was best and it absolutely is to slowly tack weld around. My first tower rod I tried a bead and it starting blowing through the tube so I stopped. Not super happy with the look of it but the rest of the tubes came out decent. I actually ended up turning the heat down some and wire speed up just a touch from what the machine recommended. Once that was dialed in it was a breeze. Going to slap some sealer over everything and then get back to stripping the bay. Thank you so much @EC17PSE and @gsxitement for the push to do this.

1682991033678.jpeg

Tried bead..

1682991058034.jpeg

Now with tacking over and over and cooling it with air then again with tacks.

1682991116416.jpeg

More grueling process today LOL. Can’t believe I am doing this to myself a second time. This is def one of the hardest parts in my opinion as well. But it’s done!

View attachment 694706

Getting so close to being done with the engine bay.. then paint and then engine!
Love the angle. No one shot fully grabs all the work involved does it?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back