The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

VR-4tt into a 2g

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

20gst

20+ Year Contributor
Jan 5, 2003
Colorado_Springs_Colorado
Yeah the guys at our shop is taking on this project of dumping a VR-4TT into a 2g eclipse.. The guy is paying big bucks but everyone is argueing about how this is going to take place.OMG
Some want to complety cut the whole front off and attach the VR-4 3000gt front to it and convert the 2g into a wide body, some want to keep the 2g in place and extend the firewall and other crap. So far the car has sat in the back bay for over a month now and nobody has done anything.
Has anyone done this yet..? If so fill me in, cuz I dont see it going to work at all:confused:

Someone asked me to do the same thing a year ago (a ricer, obviously).Only someone who wants to say "twin-turbo" would do such a thing, since the dollar per horsepower cost far outweighs whatever imagined benefits such a conversion would bring. Its doable, but rice-stupid.
Easiest way to do it is make a chassis to fit the new drivetrain, all you'll be using from the DSM is the body.
Personally I would drop in a 9" Ford rear, ladder-bar/coilover, and setup up a SBC/Powerglide combo. It would be cheaper, faster, and actually cool (AWD sucks, I like wheelies).

you know i have seen a shop that was in the beginning stages of this operation. The wheel wells were cut out. The fire wall was extended, and the hood did not fit. I never saw if they got the thing done, I lost the web page. But i think it would be easier to buy a front clip off of a FTO. or the GTO from japan.

I think a stronger 6 speed tranny would be an advantage.
3 liters are 50% more than 2.
A Talon or Eclipse is much lighter than a 3000 GT or Stealth.
I think a 1g and a large single turbo would be much better.

Speaking of the Getrag 6 speed, any one ever try to fit just the transaxle in a Eclipse?

i thought the trannies in the 3000/stealth's were prone to blowin chunks.?.

Do this as a little project:

1) Find the transaxle diagram for a TT AWD
2) Find the transaxle diagram for a 2G AWD
3) Compare where the axles run.

If you really want to swap the whole engine and transaxle, cut the front off a 2G, build a tube frame, and build all the suspension, hub, and axle setups. Then compare how much you spent against buying a VR4 or modding a 2G to go faster.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back