The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

vpc guys

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zross1

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 7, 2004
Pocatello, Idaho
Just a simple question I can't find a answer to. I'm getting a vpc for a 1g. I have a eprom ecu with a dsm chip in it with compensation for my 650's, timing, and other things. When people talk about the "VPC" 450, 550, 650 chips...and so on is this a chip that goes on to the ecu like my dsm chip does? And if so do I need a specific "VPC" chip as mentioned or can I continue to use my dsm chip while using the VPC?? In other words do I need a specific "VPC" chip or can I just use my dsm chip. Any help would be appreciated.

The VPC chip goes into the VPC unit. The numbers are for the injectors. Go with the 450 chip. It does have some problems up top though as it stops counting the MAS at a certain point so it won't hit fuel cut on a stock ECU. The 550 I hear is a good chip that doesn't have all the problems assoated with it that the 450 does. IF you get the 550 chip you can just turn up your fuel pressure a bit to compensate. Basicly it will make your injectors act a little bigger but will the VPC not to run lean. You might be good right off the bat as I've read the VPC likes to run rich and idle and low and mid throttle settings...

check out the yahoo group, hksvpctuning. goto dsmchips.com, keydiver can make you a vpc 550 chip, which is better than the 450, and a ecu chip designed to work with the 650's and the vpc. i have both. if your 650's are delphi's, you should throw them. away.

Everyone I've talked to that does DSM VPC tuning says stick with the 450 chip as the 550 gives a ton of timing.

Ok, so the vpc chip I'm getting is the 550 chip. And I also have a DSM chip in my ecu to compensate for 660's, timing, 2g maf, no lift shift. Since I won't have a maf with the vpc will the dsm chip fubar things up since it's programed to compensate for the 2g maf?

I am also in the almost same situation. I was running a 2g mas and I am goin to the vpc. I do not have a chip in my ecu as of now, just a normal eprom. I am running 660 denso injectors and the vpc has a 550 chip. I have an afc to lean out but will I get timing advance issue and what kind of things should I watch out for?

You'll love the VPC at first, then you'll notice the sucky idle, then the ever present throttle hesitation. Then you'll notice your engine running lean at WOT, then the high timing advance. Top end power will be great, and so will part throttle power. But after a year your 2g MAF will start looking like a good upgrade. Kinda one of those things you need to try for yourself though.

pboglio said:
You'll love the VPC at first, then you'll notice the sucky idle, then the ever present throttle hesitation. Then you'll notice your engine running lean at WOT, then the high timing advance. Top end power will be great, and so will part throttle power. But after a year your 2g MAF will start looking like a good upgrade. Kinda one of those things you need to try for yourself though.

Did you mean swapping from VPC back to 2G MAS?

pboglio said:

sucky idle and throttle hesitation can be cured with a new map sensor. overall low and midrange driveability greatly improved with the new sensor(i also have a fidanza flywheel). i dont see any wot high timing advance, i have gcc, and 6500/8000 settings are cut back to the bone. vpc 550 chip, ecu 660 dsmchips w/cyclone activation, and vpc specific mods. before the new map sensor, response had to be max. hot starts sucked, but now it is like stock. part throttle hesitation should be cured by increasing response, or your map sensor is fubar. if you have gain too much(mine is at 9-10 o'clock) you will get fuel cut like symptoms.
tuned correctly, this sucker is a HOSS. if i am not careful, i can easily overrev, and in a few cases, break the tires loose. all of them. top end is greatly improved, but low/midrange is where it will surprise you. and, strangely enough, i get better fuel economy. i replaced the 2g mas with the vpc, and the increase in power is amazing. i never thought the mas was such a big obstruction.

ken inn said:
sucky idle and throttle hesitation can be cured with a new map sensor. overall low and midrange driveability greatly improved with the new sensor(i also have a fidanza flywheel). i dont see any wot high timing advance, i have gcc, and 6500/8000 settings are cut back to the bone. vpc 550 chip, ecu 660 dsmchips w/cyclone activation, and vpc specific mods. before the new map sensor, response had to be max. hot starts sucked, but now it is like stock. part throttle hesitation should be cured by increasing response, or your map sensor is fubar. if you have gain too much(mine is at 9-10 o'clock) you will get fuel cut like symptoms.
tuned correctly, this sucker is a HOSS. if i am not careful, i can easily overrev, and in a few cases, break the tires loose. all of them. top end is greatly improved, but low/midrange is where it will surprise you. and, strangely enough, i get better fuel economy. i replaced the 2g mas with the vpc, and the increase in power is amazing. i never thought the mas was such a big obstruction.

Part number for the new MAP sensor?

pboglio said:
Part number for the new MAP sensor?

Universal VPC Pressure Sensor (VPC and PFC F-CON units)
VPC Accessories Sensors 21202-006100

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back