The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Voodoo curse

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pauleyman

DSM Wiseman
Nov 19, 2011
oklahoma city, Oklahoma
Alright...which one of you screwheads did it. I'm cursed...I KNOW it.

If you've been following blew up a hyundai santa fe recently. Teenager ran it out of oil. Sooo...the backup vehicle comes into play and it broke the steering rack IN HALF!! two weeks ago.
Explain that. 4 days ago our 2015 dodge grand caravan transmission fails. Multiple trips to dealer last 18 mo the complaining. NOW it fails, out of warranty.
Today my son's 2006 lancer ralliart breaks a timing belt.
And for what it's worth gates can suck it. No more gates for me.
Rant over now.

Yikes. Definitely some bad luck!

And of course, I just put a Gates kit on my car, but with OEM water pump and hydraulic tensioner. I'm going to be paranoid for the next 60k.

Reading the first post reminds me of an uncountable amount of occurrences in my life. Each and every time was just a reminder of how important it is to have some money in the savings account at all times, and also how life can take a shit at anytime so be ready.

Just confirmed this belt has under 50k on it and it snapped in half. I'll comment more when I get it apart. Thankfully this isn't a financial burden but jeez....
And I used an aisin hydraulic tensioner and whatever pulleys came in the gates kit.
Very curious what I will find under the cover.

You "luck" is spilling over into my shop Paul.....and it came in 3's for me.........:ohdamn:
I will elaborate later also. Sorry to hear it all hit at once, isn't that the norm???

Update. Balance shaft belt broke and took out timing. Nothing really out of place. Pulleys tensioner and shafts are ok. It started today. Just gotta adjust valves and check for leaks. What a suckfest. At least I can do this without too much difficulty. Car should be on the ground tomorrow.

It is really the worst when everything compounds on yah like that, definitely feel for yah man

Took the car for a test drive. Seems as good as it ever was. Valvetrain still seems noisy. Anybody got any pointers to adjusting valves?
I has a good "drag" on the feeler gauge but not tight. Did the settings hot (btw that sucks). .008 intake and .012 exhaust per the manual on 4g69. Eh....like I said it sounds and drives as good as it ever did. I haven't driven it hard yet or gotten it up to mivec RPM. I'm always cautious. I'll follow the car for a few miles on its first drive. Always afraid I made a mistake somewhere.
Tell you what I've decided to adopt a new policy. I had to undo and redo fasteners a few times. Kept having to check afterwards. I'm going to whiteout the bolts on final tighten on all critical fasteners from now on.

One last word. Check ALL bolt holes on a new/remanufactired part. One of the last fasteners to install on the head on the upper timing cover had a broken bolt. Gonna call the company Monday and raise a stink. Haven't tried to extract it yet. Not in a great spot.

I like feeler gauges that are “go or no go” like the ones I will link below. It takes the guess work out of adjusting valves. So if you need .008, you choose the gauge marked .007,.009 because .007 slides in and .009 doesn’t fit so it must be .008. Hope that makes sense.

OEMTOOLS 25024 22 Blade Go-No-Go Feeler Gauge | Measure the Gap Between Parts |Great in Engines for Adjusting Tappets, etc. | Great for Machines, Guitars, & More | SAE & Metric
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The link didn't work but I looked it up. Pretty slick. I didn't know they made gauges like that. Unfortunately I don't think I could use them. I did a cold setup just to get it close and flat gauges did not work. I bought a set of offset gauges this morning to finish the job. Money says I find the set I think I already have tomorrow.

Sorry about that link, I made one with the hyperlink button but then it wasn’t working so I thought maybe I would just copy/paste it. But yeah you found them at least. I’m not sure if they make offset ones like that, I always just bent up my straight ones to make them work. Gotta do what you gotta do!

On to the hyundai. This is a hail damaged 1000$ beater fir a teenager. I'm dropping the pan. Gonna assess just how bad it is. Possibly clean up the journal and put a bearing in it. Nothing to lose. Car is probably scrap anyway. If he gets 6 Mos out of it and maybe learns something.
Any comments?

Took the car for a test drive. Seems as good as it ever was. Valvetrain still seems noisy. Anybody got any pointers to adjusting valves?

Some nice heavy weight oil should help quiet that down. The rest of the engine tolerances would probably tolerate that just fine.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back