The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Volvo s60

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98spydert

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 16, 2004
Phoenix, Arizona
Right now I've got my Spyder and a 02 Z71 ex cab. I've got a kid on the way, expected first week of Nov. I've been looking at more family oriented cars lately but it's hard cause I'm still 21 and the kid side of me is strong!!! :) Anyways, I've been seeing these Volvo S60s around lately. 208 hp 236 tq turbo/intercooled AWD 4door. Sounds awsome for a family car considering volvos superior saftey rep plus that AWD. Only thing I can think of as a problem is high maintence costs but I'm sure I could do most of it myself. Anyone know much about these cars???

volvo's are great cars...
Things I know about the:
1) they have small turbos (similar to VW and their 1.8t's)
2) they are very hard to work on yourself (new ones) as they are making them more and more dealer compliant for maintenance
3) they do not have good resale value (similar to DSM's)

Why are you considering one anyhow? Did you aquire a new family?

Get the s-60R 300HP 300TQ 6 speed transmission, and they are VERY reliable cars, they handle better than an audo s-4, and most other cars in it's class with computer controlled AWD transfer design, 3 different suspention modes, air air bags at all 4 corners of the car, awsome stock stereo, all that

or go with an s-40 1.9 liter turbo known from personal experiance that even those are as fast as the maxima, and can out handle one just as well. take your pic volvos are highly underrated as far as everyday driving is conserned

The S-60R was what I was talking about... I heard they had 300hp but then read on the web site it was only like 208. I just read it wrong I guess. Anyways, yes I have a wife and we have a baby on the way, gotta get something four door and as safe as possible. I'm obviously not gonna mod it or trick it out at all so I'm tryin to find something a little sporty from the factory and with some looks to it. There's two guys here on base that have S-60Rs and they are awsome. Seems like a good sports car and a good family car that will be reliable at the same time. Thanks for the feedback.

Well you are about my age... and I know I would never get a new volvo because of a wife and kid. Thats pretty pricey car to be getting into at yoru age with your family and all..regardless of waht kind of job you have (if someone is buying it for you then forget this)...

Maybe you shoudl search the market a little more and find out what kinds of cars are out there. In recent years "family" or 4-door cars have been getting more and more powerful and nimble feeling. Honda Accord, Altima and Maxima, WRX/Impreza, Mazda 3 and 6 are all sub 25k cars that can be pretty cool lookiong, reloable/great warranty, cheaper on gas milage/gas and insurance and pack some power. I know the V6 accord's are doing 240hp, WRX-227 and the altima and maxima are like 240hp/255hp or something and the Mazda 6 is 220hp... I have driven all but the new maxima and they all have certain things, but all are cool cars for MUCh cheaper than the volvo s60R (starts at $38k).

If you want to be safe then I think being a cautious defensive driver is the best thing you can do. Most all new cars are pretty safe, as the standards are getting sticter annually. If for some reason you have indespensable cash flow and I am way off base then please, get a niec car like that. Perhaps consider a Audi S4, BMW M3 (they are gonna make 4-door versions soon) or something else to. Good luck,

I'm not hurting for funds and that's why I'm trying to find something I want and not something I can afford. I was looking at the Altimas and Maximas and they're pretty nice if you get them loaded. 500 series BMWs are awsome but those are pretty pricey. I'm really into the Audis and Volvos right now as far as 4 door cars

Maybe you should just consider an A4 1.8T quattro then.. I mean they are like $20k less than the S60-R!!

Good luck w/e you do! I wish I had that kind of funding, I jsut figured that the kid and wife woudl hold you down a bit. I mean the payment difference evey month between a $~60k car and a $35k car is pretty big. Keep us updated though, if you are really gonna get one.

hahaha when it comes to initial safety, the s-60R is by far better than any of those...did i mention they can beat the audi S-4 in a straight line, and the twisties???? not to mention the rear corner, air bag curtains, all that, they are awsome in the snow, rain, on gas, comfortable most of all, not to mention reliable.....they are one of the most, if not THE most reliable turbocharged cars. they run high to mid 14's in the 1/4 which is very peppy for a fully loaded AWD inline 5 cylender....trust me if i had the money i would definately get one myself

Originally posted by 1G/TS-ituner
they are awsome in the snow, rain, on gas, comfortable most of all, not to mention reliable.....they are one of the most, if not THE most reliable turbocharged cars.

Right there! That is what's selling me right now. But like I said, the kid in me is still strong! so gotta have that pep :)

LOL it's got enough pep to run with 300ZX twin turbos, stay with lancer evo's untill 5th gear where it starts to pull away from it.

no turbo lag, it's all spool time, low end power, it has enough balls to pass someone in 6th gear at 2500 RPMs hahah i want one myself...looks like a granny car, but that R next to the s-60 isn't even remotely a joke, it's enough HP and TQ to push you into your seat, with a smile every time you get on it

even if you treat it bad... it'll treat you like a king:thumb: There is nothing bad on a Volvo... a few years back my dad wanted to buy an V70... and that was hardcore already, with a trab speed by 155mph(250kph) down rated OMG so that kicks ass... I love Volvos, everytime when I say to my friends that I wanna new car, I say I wanna Volvo sporty yet luxury +big time safe... They look at me like WTF is your problem... If they knew volvos...

I'm actually looking into one for our family...looks like a great deal to me. I say go for it.:thumb:

Originally posted by 1G/TS-ituner
hahaha when it comes to initial safety, the s-60R is by far better than any of those...did i mention they can beat the audi S-4 in a straight line, and the twisties???? not to mention the rear corner, air bag curtains, all that, they are awsome in the snow, rain, on gas, comfortable most of all, not to mention reliable.....they are one of the most, if not THE most reliable turbocharged cars. they run high to mid 14's in the 1/4 which is very peppy for a fully loaded AWD inline 5 cylender....trust me if i had the money i would definately get one myself

hhhmmm.........

I'm not exactly sure about the Volvo beating the s-4 in the twisties and such, especially considering that Audi was banned from touring racing for unfair advantage because they out cornered everything, and did it with such ease, and volvo is still in touring racing. Don't get me worng,I love both volvo's and audi's, I would take either.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back