The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

visibility ?'s

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redlin'r

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 11, 2003
OhioUS
So I want to tint my windows and was wondering how much it costed other 1g'ers to get this done, and what percent tint you got it done. What is a good percent? 30%/40% don't know much about tint so this is where I need your help!!!

First let me say, Ohio tint laws are horrible. 50% is legal. Anything more and you get cited. That said...

It depends on the shops. But look to spend about $170 for mid grade tint. They will likely charge around there because of the hatch. there are different types of films too. Some are dyed. Some are semi-metallic(part dye, part metallic). And then there's full metallic. The dyed ones typically last about 3-5 years. The semis I've never seen fade. And the metallics will never fade.

You're options will be 20-21%, 34-35%, 50% & then the limo tints 8-10%. That's the general range anyhow. There ma be slight variations to the %'s. 21% is dark as hell. 35% is dark, but still easy to see at night.

BTW, what part of Ohio are you from?

Well right now I am living the the Toledo/ Bowling Green area.... doing a co-op for school (BGSU).

I would probably want 34-35%. Although I might get pulled over, but I am not sure. I have seen tint worse than what I think it would be like. I really want to get it to protect my interior, thats the main reason, but not getting them very dark just looks ###.

That's the main reason I'm tinting mine. I'm not going darker than 35%. I've seen several 35% tint jobs and they are plenty dark for me.

Are you gonna get your front windsheild tinted? I mean that little strip on the top..... I want that done is it extra?

Originally posted by Redlin'r
Are you gonna get your front windsheild tinted? I mean that little strip on the top..... I want that done is it extra?
Yeah its extra.
Actualy I was thinking tinting the whole windshield with 50%. My friend did it in his truck. No problem seeing and it keeps the uv rays off the dash.
Its a thought. But no I won't do the banner at the top. I don't much care for the looks.

Reall, isn't that illegal though? I think it completes it nice if you do it right. Some of the people who get it really low make it look bad. I will have to call around and find out how much I could get it done for. Also any suggestion on how to get circles off back windsheild before getting tinted ( person before must have smoke and there are those rings on the glass if you catch it at the right angle)

Originally posted by Addict

... it keeps the uv rays off the dash.

Sorry, just had to note, UV rays do not penetrate glass, that is why you cannot get a tan indoors, but you can get burnt.

Originally posted by nutshot

Sorry, just had to note, UV rays do not penetrate glass, that is why you cannot get a tan indoors, but you can get burnt.

This is true, good observation :rolleyes:

Some of the UV rays won't pass. The glass doesn't stop them all. Its 'tinted' from the factory to help block some of the rays and still maintain visibility. Its not the glass itself.;)

No, sunlight passes, but UV rays do not. Honest, I am not making this up.

No, sunlight passes, but UV rays do not. Honest, I am not making this up.
LOL...
It does block some of the rays, regardless of the factory tinting. It doesn't block all of them though.
Think about it like sunglasses and how they rate those. Some will block more than others.

I have 5% tint on mine, visibility is horrible. There are two hondas I helped tint at 20% and 35%, 20% seemed just about right. You also need to take in to account what kind of tint it is. Some tint will look more metalicized (spelling?), so more reflective, but you'll be able to see throught it better. Other tint just looks alot darker (for some reason appears to be cheaper).

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back