The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Vinyl Wrap Dsm, Who's Done It, Pics?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Car Cannibal

20+ Year Contributor
Jun 7, 2003
Chicago, Illinois
Well I'm leaning towards a vinyl wrap vs a paint job with plenty of body work of Carbon Fiber panels.

Anyone have any recent comments, pics?

I've been quoted from $3000 to $4000 on a wrap and about 1 week to do. I've got to fix some issues with the body panels but I'm pretty sure I'll be around $1000 to get the new panels needed and body work for a smooth clean car for seemless wrapping.

I've been told 4+ years on how long the wrap will last depending on many factors so that's another question, how long have you had it and how's it holding up?

I just had my car painted instead of vinyl wrap. I wrestled with the idea of wrapping the car for the longest time myself. It doesn't make sense to me to pay 3-5k to have the car wrapped when you can get the car painted pretty nicely with body work for that amount. Wraps don't add anything to the value of the car and require a good, straight body anyways. What is there to gain really? Not much unless you're doing it yourself cheaply. I would just get the car painted as paying someone to wrap it costs just as much.

I just had my car painted instead of vinyl wrap. I wrestled with the idea of wrapping the car for the longest time myself. It doesn't make sense to me to pay 3-5k to have the car wrapped when you can get the car painted pretty nicely with body work for that amount. Wraps don't add anything to the value of the car and require a good, straight body anyways. What is there to gain really? Not much unless you're doing it yourself cheaply. I would just get the car painted as paying someone to wrap it costs just as much.

Is that what it costs to wrap your car? Holy $hit!!

Local guy here in cc Tx quoted me the same 3k and acted like he was hooking me up I was shocked. I'm no where near ready to make decision paint vs wrap but I was curious and I just cant justify paying that much when you can get a pretty decent paint job for around same price. I work for a car audio/tint shop and have access to ordering supplies so I would probably attempt myself rather than pay outrageous labor costs but just my opinion
Jason Penny

I don't think I have ever seen a wrapped DSM on this site to be honest. We are by definition cheap.

Having that been said I would consider wrapping it yourself. Saving $2.5k on labor if you have the time and patience. The best thing is the material is cheap-ish depending how extravagant the wrap is so you can afford to make mistakes.

There are plenty of youtube videos on it my favorite is ammo NYC where he wraps his Audi R8 with an industry pro. The dude is thorough and I appreciate detail with things such as this

I've been quoted by two local shops to paint my 1G and fix the rear quarters with metal patch panels at $8000. Not sure where you guys are going for paint but paint itself is now much more expensive. Good jobs are not $3-$4k here in Northwest Chicago IL.

The cool thing about the wrap is every 5 years you can change the color and look. But you need nice panels, no rust or dents etc.

Well if I do it it'll come back.

In 2018 I had my right rear QT panel on my evo replaced and just paint/blend that part for $3500. To paint the whole car i was quoted $8000. Paint jobs are no longer in the 2 to 3000 dollar range anymore.

Im wrapping mine next year and going with KPMF as its nice quality. They sent me samples vs others i liked. Its not cheap per roll.

On average a 1 man band can wrap a car in 3 days. Ck wraps on youtube has good videos to help and its made me learn alot on it and what can and cannot be done

3m is tried and true. I've been eyeing pine satin metallic by 3m for motorcycle fairings down the road in the next year or 2.

@ec17pse what color are you going with?

Also if anyone wants a color match for lamp black for the two tone cars I have that sample laying around.

I have my wrap in the garage. It’s 3m 2080 series vinyl. Haven’t got around to prepping the car for it but 480- $500 is what I have into. Much better than the $3,500 I was quoted before any body work. I will keep following this page to see updates of people that have finished theirs. Whenever I get around to wrapping mine I’ll post pictures.

Youre better off painting it for the money. I only recommend wraps for race cars or advertisement on company vehicles. My friend owns a tint / vinyl business. Hes wrapped 2 cars of mine. Using 2 differnt brands of high end film. Car was never garaged. Dont expect more than 2.5 years life for a non garaged wrap. Also be prepared for possible paint damage upon removal. Its much less of a possibility on OEM paint but still does happen at times. If the vehicle had been painted before you can probably figure on some paint delamination on removal.

There's a color called = Gloss Midnight Blue I've been thinking of doing.

But Vanilla, your reply was sort of what I was afraid of, while my car is stored inside for the Winter, Spring/Summer/Fall is outside here in IL. I have a feeling the 5 year window I'm getting isn't true.

I'm so on the fence between, paint, wrap or Carbon from Carbonetics. I feel like if I fix up the body panels for wrapping I've lost the benefit of doing carbon panels from the start so that's financially ruled out. I don't wanna fix up the cars metal to then wrap it at $3500 ($4500 in) and 3 years later the wrap sucks and be pissed I didn't go full carbon from the start.

Painting it with the new hood and front fenders I got is looking like the best all around bet. $8000 and just find a color I will like forever.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.
wrapped mine myself with 3m 2080. Need to redo the bumpers because they are a pain. The rest of the car is easy though.
. How did you like the 3m 2080? That’s what I have in the gloss midnight blue and I haven’t wrapped it yet. How did you like working with it? Pretty easy to use?

Youre better off painting it for the money. I only recommend wraps for race cars or advertisement on company vehicles. My friend owns a tint / vinyl business. Hes wrapped 2 cars of mine. Using 2 differnt brands of high end film. Car was never garaged. Dont expect more than 2.5 years life for a non garaged wrap. Also be prepared for possible paint damage upon removal. Its much less of a possibility on OEM paint but still does happen at times. If the vehicle had been painted before you can probably figure on some paint delamination on removal.

This x 1000 is 100% truth.

You still have to do all the same body work to wrap a car vs painting it. So that's a push. Paint materials vs wrap cost about the same, the only money you save is on the wet sand and buff. Oh... and then the wrap fails in a few years.

If you love it, paint it. If you race and don't care, wrap it. Yes I have plenty of experience with wrapping dsms.

. How did you like the 3m 2080? That’s what I have in the gloss midnight blue and I haven’t wrapped it yet. How did you like working with it? Pretty easy to use?
It's pretty easy to use and it's pretty forgiving but I just can't do the double contours of the back bumper with out wrinkles. Every other part of the car is a breeze though.

There's a color called = Gloss Midnight Blue I've been thinking of doing.

But Vanilla, your reply was sort of what I was afraid of, while my car is stored inside for the Winter, Spring/Summer/Fall is outside here in IL. I have a feeling the 5 year window I'm getting isn't true.

I'm so on the fence between, paint, wrap or Carbon from Carbonetics. I feel like if I fix up the body panels for wrapping I've lost the benefit of doing carbon panels from the start so that's financially ruled out. I don't wanna fix up the cars metal to then wrap it at $3500 ($4500 in) and 3 years later the wrap sucks and be pissed I didn't go full carbon from the start.

Painting it with the new hood and front fenders I got is looking like the best all around bet. $8000 and just find a color I will like forever.

Also, you may already know but be prepared if you buy any carbon fiber parts that they will need to be professionly clearcoated before install to avoid yellowing / fading / cracking in a few years. Carbon parts generally dont have any UV protection in the resin so have them cleared with a high quality high-solids cleacoat right off the bat.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back