The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Vibration under acceleration, but only while accelerating...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thugmaster1220

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 26, 2011
Woodstock, Illinois
So I just purcahsed a 95 talon awd turbo. 95% of the car is stock, the battery was replaced, and the exhaust is way too shiny to be stock. Car starts right up and no idle surge! Thank God!

The only issue with the car is that while accelerating theres a vibration, a pretty decent vibration at that. But if you let off the throttle it disappears instantly...

So based on that, im having a hard time thinking that it could be cv joints or a front end problem for that matter. It seems to me that this would have to be an engine or trans problem, No?

A friend also suggested that the diff. might have gone out or the rear axles and the load is just enough to create a vibration.

Any one have some insight they could drop on me? Thanks guys

Just check your carrier bearings I had the same problem I ordered new carrier bearings and torque solution mounts. Took the driveshaft to a shop had them rebuild it no more vibration.

I actually have a set of new coil packs laying around! The only reason i didnt is because i dont feel like replacing the throttle body gaskets for $6 a peice, so if anyone knows where to get reasonably priced gaskets, let me know!

And it doesnt suprise me that a bad coil pack would cause this vibration, I origonally thought that the car was missin or detonating cause the vibration, but its really looking like its the inner cv's.

You guys have been tons of help! Im thinking early next week ill have some time for laboring on the Talon. Ill keep you all posted!
I have the exact same problem, i would really like to know what fixed your problem please?

I've had this problem on my '95 (RIP),'99 (weekend toy), and '07 eclipse (daily). On my DSMs, both times ended up being the inner CV joints. On my '07, it ended up being my driver's inner side CV joint and lower ball joint. Inner CVs tend to vibrate at certain speeds when going bad. Mine would do it at about 70 mph+. Everything under that it was either completely non-existent or minimal. Depending on the mileage, I would just replace the axles as a precaution. If your engine or trans fails, you get stranded. If anything like suspension, brakes, hubs, and CV axles fail, you could be dealing with a car that's trying to kill you out of the blue. Lol.

Insight I have none, but a question: Does this vibration appear at or near a certain engine speed or is it at or near a certain road speed. Because it divides the possibilities in half that's the first question for a vibration problem.

Said another way does changing the gear change the RPM at which the vibration happens or not?

Then you get down to fine points like only when pulling, etc.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back