The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Very slow time... why?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coldandafraid

20+ Year Contributor
Mar 1, 2003
Edmonton, Alberta_Canada
something is seriously wrong with either, my engine, my turbo, or my tranny...

I went to the track and my best was 15.3 at 90 mph, 2.3 60ft. 15 psi on big16g.

According to my mod list, I "should" be at least high 13's. My car is auto, so I could build 7 psi at the line before I launched. I dont know what a 13 sec talon should feel like, but it just seemed to me that I was losing it at the top end.

No logs, but even though I have no knock, I also dont have very nice timing advance. Maybe 13 or 14 before it shifts.

So, yeah. I'm extremely dissatisfied with my car. :barf:

hhmm...I gtech'ed a 15.23 @97.1 with my car. I'm at 13psi with my 14b though...hopefully the gtech meter is just stupid and my car is actually faster then that! your time does seem a bit slow...actually I think thats what they run stock?

oh yeah...how do you know your not getting knock w/o a log? I didnt think I was getting knock either with my boost set to 16psi until I hooked my logger up and found out I was getting 24 counts of knock.

my keydiver chip, turns the CEL into a knock light.

and, yeah! I have spend about $8000 cad on the car, only to be beaten by my friends stock gsx 5-speed. he got 15.2.

no afpr. But O2s are .98v. Any lower and the knock light comes on.

An AFPR and Torque converter are next on the list of things to buy, but I am feeling now like whats the point. Why spend more money on the car if I cant even get below 15's with what I have on there.

Low timing means? What timing are you at at WOT at 5-6k RPM? WHats the base timing set at? How is the running? Is it brekaing up? What about EGTS? Not really enough information to see whats happening. How is the tranny shifting? Is it stuttering flaring or hesitating? Keydrivers chip shows knock with cel? AT what knock sum does it come on? My keydrivers chips all show knock sum on the boost gauge not the CEL.

1. Check for boost leaks. Boost leaks can kill your power very quickly

2. Do you have an actuall logger? If not, invest in one.

3. Compression check. Make sure there is nothing wrong.

4. Are you bogging on the launch? If so, try launching at a higher boost

With the mods you have, you should me running much more than a 15 Post a time slip.

MrPikolo said:
1. Check for boost leaks. Boost leaks can kill your power very quickly

2. Do you have an actuall logger? If not, invest in one.

3. Compression check. Make sure there is nothing wrong.

4. Are you bogging on the launch? If so, try launching at a higher boost

With the mods you have, you should me running much more than a 15 Post a time slip.

1. No boost leaks, but when I pressurize, my valve cover gets pressurized too, and air comes out the breather if I dont plug it for the test.

2. Yes, pocketlogger. Car is tuned acceptably - not so rich to cause me to lose 2 seconds.

3. This is the only thing I think it could possibly be. My engine might just be too old to take the charge air, or produce the maximum power.

4. No bog. 2500 rpm power brake, 7 - 9 psi off the line.

What about me running only 14 psi on the big16? 14 psi is hardly higher than stock... if I were running 19 psi, would that make a 2 second difference?

JohnTSI said:
Low timing means? What timing are you at at WOT at 5-6k RPM? WHats the base timing set at? How is the running? Is it brekaing up? What about EGTS? Not really enough information to see whats happening. How is the tranny shifting? Is it stuttering flaring or hesitating? Keydrivers chip shows knock with cel? AT what knock sum does it come on? My keydrivers chips all show knock sum on the boost gauge not the CEL.

thats the thing, everything seems to be just fine. base is 5 degrees. runs smooth, doesnt stutter at all at 15 psi. EGTs are nice. Tranny shifts great with the kit. Keydivers chip shows knock on my CEL and on my boost gauge.

Is 15 degrees low timing at WOT 6500 rpm?

I have a similar situation. I went to the track yesterday for my first time. I ran in the 15's when I severely bogged my launches (~2.3 to 2.4 --60'). I took 6 runs between 1:30pm and 2:05pm (probably should have let car cool in between runs).

My best run was a 14.67 with a 2.09 sec 60'. Out of the six runs, I missed third gear on two of them. I was shifting at 7K rpm....which I am thinking may have contributed to missing third gear.

Overall, I was very mad at myself for driving so poorly. My car is completely untuned, because I just finished with most of the mods, and the SAFC, Pocklogger, and AFPR have been ordered and not yet installed. I am getting very little knock at 6500 rpm from the factory boost gauge (keydiver chip). My EGT's do not ever exceed 1400F. Boost running between 18-19psi. I believe that I am running very rich.

My guess is, that with a decent launch (1.7-1.8) and without missing any gears...I would have netted high 13's...which is what I was hoping for for my first time out and no tuning. I totally contribute my bad times to my poor driving. I need to practice my launches a lot more... :mad:

The one problem with my car that I noticed, is that when revving over 5K, I feel a lot of vibration with my foot on the gas pedal. I also feel vibration with my foot on the clutch pedal when depressing it at over 5500 rpm. I'm thinking that my new flywheel may have been tightened down too much and is already warped.

Overall, the first time at the track was a good experience. I didn't feel as bad because in every run but the first (where the other car ran a 10.4), I was able to still win the race. :D I probably raced a 6 cyl camaro for at least half of the runs....and even with missing 3rd gear, I was able to beat him....(yeah, I know...pathetic...but I have to focus on the positives... ;) )

First off you have 680cc injectors, turn your boost up to 20psi. My buddys Auto Talon with a 50trim at 20psi pulls like crazy. You really need more boost.

98GSX-WI - I shift my car at 7500rpm and it pulls all the way there with stock cams (though it does drop off the power is still good) and the trans shifts great at that RPM. It's totally stock too, just a 2100 clutch. Just be firm but easy with the shifter and it will go in, no power or speed shifting.

98GSX-WI said:
I have a similar situation. I went to the track yesterday for my first time. I ran in the 15's when I severely bogged my launches (~2.3 to 2.4 --60'). I took 6 runs between 1:30pm and 2:05pm (probably should have let car cool in between runs).

My best run was a 14.67 with a 2.09 sec 60'. Out of the six runs, I missed third gear on two of them. I was shifting at 7K rpm....which I am thinking may have contributed to missing third gear.

Yeah... but our main differences are, I have big16, you have T28. I have FMIC, you have SMIC. I have GM MAFT, you have stock MAS. I have Auto, you have standard.

Arguably, I have 3 power advantages and a shifting advantage, while you have launch advantage, and you have a couple tenths of a second better 60 ft time, as well, as about a second faster 1/4 time.

I have stutter above 17 psi, due to a weak spark wire. When I get my COP in the mail I will be going with 20 psi.

Also, I am going to get a torque converter with at least a 3000 rpm stall speed, and an AFPR just to make sure my fuel pressure is still good with the rx7 pump.

If I can get my 60 fts at 2.0 or lower with the converter and 20 psi will that be enough to get me into 13's? Or, judging by my modlist already, purhaps my engine is just too old to do it... my friends stock GSX got 15.2 (compared to my 15.3)

Coldandafraid said:
Yeah... but our main differences are, I have big16, you have T28. I have FMIC, you have SMIC. I have GM MAFT, you have stock MAS. I have Auto, you have standard.

Arguably, I have 3 power advantages and a shifting advantage, while you have launch advantage, and you have a couple tenths of a second better 60 ft time, as well, as about a second faster 1/4 time.

I have stutter above 17 psi, due to a weak spark wire. When I get my COP in the mail I will be going with 20 psi.

Also, I am going to get a torque converter with at least a 3000 rpm stall speed, and an AFPR just to make sure my fuel pressure is still good with the rx7 pump.

If I can get my 60 fts at 2.0 or lower with the converter and 20 psi will that be enough to get me into 13's? Or, judging by my modlist already, purhaps my engine is just too old to do it... my friends stock GSX got 15.2 (compared to my 15.3)

Actually, I don't think you have that much of a power advantage. I believe that my Big28 flows almost as much as your Big16. You have a FMIC, but I have a Hahn SMIC that is good up to 400hp of flow with only 1psi pressure drop.

My big problems were my driving and lack of tuning.

DSMJim-- Thanks for the point about the shifting at >7K rpm...I actually was attempting to power-shift....and I do notice that if I shift easier, with medium speed--it does go it even at the higher rpms....

Sam don't get so discouraged we will figured out what is up with your car. Do you have a tool to check your compression? If not I me and Phil both have one so we can check that one night. And my car is not completely stock either and I was hoping for a mid to low 14 sec pass.

Lunch_Box said:
Sam don't get so discouraged we will figured out what is up with your car. Do you have a tool to check your compression? If not I me and Phil both have one so we can check that one night. And my car is not completely stock either and I was hoping for a mid to low 14 sec pass.

I'd have to agree on this one. Compression is very likely to be your problem. Your mods really should get you far more unless A) your getting knock and that chip just isn't working right (showing on the CEL) or B) your engine has low compression and is massively losing power. The 15deg timing is also odd, at WOT in high RPM you should have around 20deg for best power. Of course normally this goes high on cars (like mine getting 25-30deg). This would indicate knock more than likely...

You could try racing fuel if you don't have a compression tester. But that sure would cost a lot more!

Yeah your times seem slow casue i got a 15.4 @ 92.05 mph with a 2.600 reaction. and i only have the t25 boosted to 16 psi which then drops to about 14 or so psi at higher rpms. but i would be hella quicker if i didnt spin threw 1st and 2nd. oh yeah that was full weight, full tank of gas, subs, and 35 psi in tires.

I would have to go with the compression being the problem with your car . I woiuld do a compression test and then a leak down test .

Your time is not that far off mine . My cars best is 14.522 @ 96.23 mph . on a 14b set at 16psi , stock smic , and injectors . This was my first time at the track witht the 6 bolt 2g auto car and i was disappointed .

With a 2.3 60ft on an AWD, there is some problems. I did a 2.4 60ft on my FWD and ran a 14.04@111MPH. I only got 2 runs in too. I should be able to do a lot better.

Check your compression. I bet it's below 120psi across the board.

Origanal post. Start your own if you want some help.

TimG said:
With a 2.3 60ft on an AWD, there is some problems. I did a 2.4 60ft on my FWD and ran a 14.04@111MPH. I only got 2 runs in too. I should be able to do a lot better.

Check your compression. I bet it's below 120psi across the board.

Well... it is an Auto, with the stock converter, so that will give me lower 60 ft times than a manual.

When I bought the car 1 and a half years ago the compression was 150 across... but, Ill be checking it again here.

exzercist said:
Yeah your times seem slow casue i got a 15.4 @ 92.05 mph with a 2.600 reaction. and i only have the t25 boosted to 16 psi which then drops to about 14 or so psi at higher rpms. but i would be hella quicker if i didnt spin threw 1st and 2nd. oh yeah that was full weight, full tank of gas, subs, and 35 psi in tires.

My time is also 14 psi, full weight, including sub and spare.... but 14 psi on a big16 should run faster than 14 psi on a t25 right...?

i wasnt askin for help i thought you were saying it to me cuz i was the last post. yeah but anyways, youll have more top end. mine doesnt but i should be well into the 14s if i just let my tire pressure out. def if i didnt have a full tank. i will be goin to the track soon to do run again but with out this extra weight and tire pressure. my relative has a stock 92 tsi and we ran a 16.03 with about 2.5k brake boost. brake boost at 3k or more. you should be faster. but if your building 7 psi thats about 3k. so maybe boost leak.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back