The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

Very Low Dyno Numbers

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElChupacabra

Probationary Member
Apr 3, 2004
washington, D.C.
Hi,

I have a 1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX with 59,000 miles on it. I replaced the sparkplugs with one step colder and tuned my S-AFC to a pretty flat A/F ratio of 12.5~13, but my dyno is still very low for my modifications.
Do you think the 60,000 mile service will help?
Is it common to see numbers this low with these types of mods? Should I check for boost leaks or do a compression test? Any help or similar experiences would help me a lot. Thanks in advance.

These are my mods

# EVO 16G Turbo (Ported)
# EVO O2 housing
# Walboro 255lph fuel pump
# FIC 550cc injectors
# GReddy Front Mount Intercooler
# APEXi S-AFC
# Magnacore wires
# TurboXS Blow Off Valve
# Joe-P Manual Boost Controller (stuck at 16 psi of boost - the controller won't move to adjust boost up or down, I think its melted shut).
# Dejon Intake + K&N filter
# GReddy Hard Upper Intercooler Pipes
# Extreme Motorsports 3" Downpipe
# Extreme Motorsports 3" Hi-Flow Catalytic Converter
# RS-R 3" mandrel bent exhaust (quiet)
# B&M Short Shifter
# Clutch Master 2500lb Pressure Plate, Stage 1 Disc
# Lightened OEM flywheel (15lbs)

I dynoed at 235 whp and 244 ft-lbs of torque. I've seen cars with similar mods well above 300 horsepower, but usually in the 300 range.

Please, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Well, this may not be quite what you're looking for as far as responses go, but, I would venture to guess that the numbers aren't quite as high as you want because you're only running 16#'s of boost. With an EVOIII 16g and a FMIC, I would think you could run close to if not 20 lbs of boost on pump gas, and that should yielder numbers closer to 300whp. Just a shot in the dark though, would be helpful if we could see the actual dynochart and possibly a log. Raising fuel pressure and leaning out your fuel curve with your S-AFC could also help gain a couple ponies as well. Just some food for thought. I am by no means experienced in the tuning department, far better help is available here on tuners.

-Bill

Thanks a lot guys.

I think I'll switch over to the Extreme Motorsports controller and see what happens.

I'll look into getting dynos to post as well.

-=>Marc

So with an FMIC and 550cc injectors, hard IC pipes and 3" piping from the turbo back would it be safe to try for 20 psi ?

Dude your way way to lean. you should be down around 11:1 to 11.5:1 on pump gas for race gas raound 12:1-13:1

What are your egts saying? Fix your damn boost controller. Also what kind of dyno?

I made 290awhp on my small 16g on pump gas at 20psi and 302.6 at 24psi and 110.

I would like to see this dyno graph and you need to log your car and richen it up a bit. IMO thats way to lean for pump.

exactly...you are WAY TOOOOOOOOO LEAN....richen it up and you should gain power...get your a/f to be 11.0:1 that would be perfect for pump gas...then turn your boost up to 19...you should see and feel a big change...

don't ever try to get a turbo car to have the same a/f ratio as an N/A car...thats EXACTLY how your going to blow it up...

Ohh...and bro...the mods I had, all in my list...

I was making 330-340 crank hp and about 300-310fwhp with a big16g at 20psi...so ya...richen it up...get rid of the knock and actually get some timing...then you'll feel it pull...I'm surprised you were able to get 230 out of it with that kind of tuning/ a/f ratio...I would expect a lot of knock, causing very low time and no more than 180-190 hp...

Thanks, everyone . . . . I'll be tuning again on May 14 so hopefully we'll richen it up a bit.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back