The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

EVO III Vehicle speed sensor / wiring

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gIGoN

Probationary Member
Mar 16, 2013
Shah Alam, Asia
Hi guys,

I'm trying to figure out where is my speed sensor. I have a CE9a EVO III. The speedometer cluster gets the reading via a cable which goes to the gearbox. So I'm wondering the vehicle speed sensor which goes to the ECU is reading the speed from which sensor as the speedo is only a cable which screws on the gearbox.

I noticed theres a 2 pin socket which goes to the calipers. Are those somehow related to the vehicle speed sensor wiring to the ECU or just solely for ABS?

Where does the vehicle speed sensor wiring to the ECU gets the reading from? I'm trying to get it working so I can cutoff certain parameters (eg: launch control) in my Link ECU.

Can't say for sure how the EVO III is but on a 1G DSM the speed sensor is in the Gauge Cluster and driven by the Speedometer cable from the gears in the transmission.

The sensor is a reed switch connected to ground and there is a rotating magnet that opens and closes the switch. The ECU counts the pulses in a fixed time period and calculates the speed. It's not very accurate. IIRC the ECU provides the bias voltage to the switch so it can generate the pulses.

The ABS is a different system.

Can't say for sure how the EVO III is but on a 1G DSM the speed sensor is in the Gauge Cluster and driven by the Speedometer cable from the gears in the transmission.

The sensor is a reed switch connected to ground and there is a rotating magnet that opens and closes the switch. The ECU counts the pulses in a fixed time period and calculates the speed. It's not very accurate. IIRC the ECU provides the bias voltage to the switch so it can generate the pulses.

The ABS is a different system.

Thanks for the reply. Which wire exactly is it from the meter cluster?

I traced the wire from the ecu and it goes to this socket. Where does this connect to?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Traced it again and this socket goes to the column shaft socket (the black thingy which has the wiper and light arms near the steering. Noticed there's some board inside it connects to. I’m lost after that.

Where does it get the reading from

Last edited by a moderator:
I did a continuity test and there is a connection from the socket up to the ecu. I am still clueless where it gets the speed reading from. Hope someone could shed some lights on this.

IIRC, EVO 3 ECU is getting pulses from the cluster. That's like 1G DSM like @steve mentioned above. The ABS speed sensors don't affect the VSS signal for ECU.
There should be a yellow/white wire between the cluster connector and ECU pin #66, that's the VSS signal wire to the ECU.

IIRC, EVO 3 ECU is getting pulses from the cluster. That's like 1G DSM like @steve mentioned above. The ABS speed sensors don't affect the VSS signal for ECU.
There should be a yellow/white wire between the cluster connector and ECU pin #66, that's the VSS signal wire to the ECU.

Thanks for the reply. when you say cluster, you mean that it's from the back of the speedometer? The one with the blue and brown sockets?

Can i pull a new wire and connect it directly to the ecu?

There's actually a few green and yellow. Do you happen to know which one (location) is it from the cluster socket?

this is my cluster socket

Last edited by a moderator:
just an update guys, the speedo is actually the centre pin on the blue socket. i did a continuity test and the cable is connected up until the ecu. I'm still not sure why theres still no reading at the ecu.

i've tried using a different cluster meter and its still not getting any reading to the ecu. :(

Yes that should be the one.

How did you test that?
using a multimeter, so the wire from the ecu is ok up until the cluster's blue socket. I tried swapping the cluster meter and there's still no reading as i believe it should be generated by the dash cluster meter.

Is there any voltage on the wire? I don't have my references with me here in the mountains but I think the ECU provides the pull-up voltage that the cluster reed switch pulls to ground to generate the pulses.

None. Based on reading in the link ecu. Theres no frequency at all coming out from that wire. Ive tried on 2 different clusters so i dont think the cluster meter is the issue though. Would there be anything else i hv missed or should check to get the reading?

None. Based on reading in the link ecu. Theres no frequency at all coming out from that wire. Ive tried on 2 different clusters so i dont think the cluster meter is the issue though. Would there be anything else i hv missed or should check to get the reading?
What you tested is only a wire between the cluster and the ECU. I see you are hacking the harness, so you should check all wiring related to the reed switch and the reed switch itself.
Should check :
- If the black wire in the green circle in the pic is surely grounded. (As you already tried another cluster, I doubt this first)
- If the wire from ECU pin #66 has some voltage with a "stock" ECU connected. (As @steve asked you above. I think it's 5v but it could be wrong)
- On the cluster side, insert a tiny flat head screwdriver to the hole where the speedometer cable goes in and turn it several times, while turning the screw driver check if there is continuity between the pin for the black wire in the green circle and the pin that goes to the ECU. If the reed switch in the cluster is working well, you would see continuity on and off.

Another possibility is : now you mentioned that you are using Link ECU, this could be the same issue as AEM EMS Series 2 on 1G DSM that the ECU doesn't receive any pulses from the cluster. If so, just go with an external VSS.

Traced and all the black wires frm both blue and brown are conected together. Did a continuity test and all the wires are grounded fine. Not cuts on the wires or whatsoever.

I decided to open up the cluster and found this 2 pins which connects to the whole speedo section in the cluster meter:

From the back of the cluster the 2 pins are tighten by 2 screws. Can i just connect a round ring terminal to these 2 screws? 1 goes to the ecu and one goes to the ground? Would that work?

Good news.
I did the 3rd step you mentioned, my reed switch is working fine. So what i did was i connected an ring connected to a wire to the screw on the top right (looking from behind the cluster) which is beside the left signal and pulled it directly to pin #66 and thank god it worked.

My new issue now is that the reading is way off in link ecu. eg: on my speedo its showing 40km/h but in the ecu its around 20km/h. and sometimes it spiked for no reason, probably something to do with the grounding.

I think what you are doing is directly applying some voltage. Which means this issue probably is caused by ECU side, the ECU is not providing the voltage. I don't use Link ECU so I am not sure, could be the VSS parameters or the ECU itself. What voltage did you apply? If you are applying 12v then try to apply 5v as I mentioned above and see if it works. Also try to play with VSS parameters in the software.
This sounds like similar to the issue of AEM EMS series 2 on 1G. If you can't make it work properly with the VSS parameters, go with a terratrip speed sensor probe. With this method, you can still use the stock speedometer and you can have stable pulses to the ECU.

DSMPT Can you shed a little light on which terratrip probe you are referring to. I have actually contacted them but didn't seem to be able to help me unless I am using a terratrip head unit.
They have a very uninformative website. I specifically asked them about the t006 probe but, again, no help.

DSMPT Can you shed a little light on which terratrip probe you are referring to. I have actually contacted them but didn't seem to be able to help me unless I am using a terratrip head unit.
They have a very uninformative website. I specifically asked them about the t006 probe but, again, no help.
The one I was referring above is TERT007, that's the sensor probe with M22x1.5 thread that you can sandwich between the stock 1g/ Early EVO style VSS and the speedo cable for stock cluster. I got it from JJC race and rally in the UK many years ago (www.jjcraceandrally.com). It seems that they now have their store only on eBay. also the TERT007 seems to be discontinued or they don't carry it anymore. but check the link below. JJC have a sensor probe that looks the same as the TERT007. I believe that would work the same as the TERT007. If you specifically need a TERT007, you should contact them through their eBay listing page below and make sure with them if that sensor probe would work the same as the TERT007.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brantz-Japanese-Gearbox-Sensor-Probe-M22-x-1-5mm-Thread-Lugdrive-/360743933196

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back