The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G Valves touching?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam's GSX

5+ Year Contributor
Jun 10, 2018
Hohenwald, Tennessee
Ok, bad news for me, I dont know if any of you remember me asking about valve spring shims months back, but basically I didn't know they existed till me head was put together, they are manley springs with bc 272/272 cams, the answer i wanted to hear is the one I eventually accepted, which was "it will probably be fine"
Anyway, the car rattles at 2800 rpm and up, (video at bottom)
At idle if you rev it up you can hear it, while driving it only makes the noise when I apply more than cruising pressure on the gas pedal.
I believe it has to do with the bc springs and not having shims, plus the head was machined. (If someone thinks its something else, let me know)
So now what my plan is, is to take the head off while it's in the car and install shims (I dont think I can do it from just removing the valve cover, because the valves would need to be all the way up to reset the springs in place)
Now I dont have the equipment to measure what size shim to get, so if anyone has run this setup with a head that's been machine, let me know what worked for you.
The other thing I'll do if possible, is drop the oil pan, unbolt rod/piston 3, removed it and do new rings and gap them correctly this time, I actually gapped ring 2 a bit big, and that cylinder has 130 psi compared to 175 on the others.
Let me know if you think this plan will work, or if there is any better ways to do this.

Thank you guys for the help in advance
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Thats not a valve problem, thats either a lifter or a rod bearing, or wrist pin sounds or piston slap. do you still have balance shafts in the engine?

Now, the rods, pistons and wrist pins are used, I believe for less than 30k miles and seemed in great condition, everything else bottom end is new, freshly machined block/head.

Exhaust manifold leaks can make a very similar sound to a knock, how are your lifters though? are they new? 3rd gen lifters or older ones? were they properly cleaned and bled?

Yes 3rd gen and bled.
I'll check to make sure it's not an exhaust leak tomorrow, I've probably driven the car 1000 miles since I put the engine in, and it drives great, so hopefully it's not damaged anything yet.

Is this auto or stick? sometimes the autos have issues with the flexplate bolts backing out or some flywheels bolts come loose or sometimes seem tight when the flywheel is not actually tight enough against the crankshaft. I have also seen this kind of sound from timing belt idler pulley bolt coming loose, and or the tensioner not working or being out of adjustment, allowing the tensioner arm to bounce off of the tensioner hydraulic units pin at certain rpm's.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back