The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

Valve seals problem?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danny_l_2005

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 23, 2004
weslaco, Texas
My car starts smoking (not much) when idling, so when i take off a puff of smoke comes out of the tailpipe. I also have an exhaust leak where the manifold and head are connected. At the leak there is carbon deposits around the area but also is oily. I haven't taken off my manifold for the fear of breaking another stud. But last time I took it off couple months the valves seem to look normal. Now for another question. My car tends to drop oil pressure on the expressway. When entering the expressway the guage is around 5/8 up but after driving a bit on the expressway doing 70 at 3k rpm it goes down to 4/8. Im very paranoid of the pressure because i do not want to rebuild my engine for the same cause all over again. Is it normal for the pressure to drop a bit because the oil is getting hotter? Oil i have on is 10w-40

I would fix my exhaust leak on a side note LOL. I just had to extract some bolts from the head, while it sucks, its not impossible. Anyhow, as oil gets hotter, it also thins. Oil pressure should climb 10lbs per 1000rpms on most gms, and I am not sure if this applies here. As for the puff of smoke, what color is it, black, blue, white?

My broken stud is inside the head, and with it-it took a little prize, a broken ez-out extractor :D . The smoke is oil related which comes out as a light blueish color

It does sound like your valve seals are bad. Thats why your smoking. A pre turbo exhuast leak is real bad, I would get that fixed ASAP. As for your oil pressure im not sure. My pressure drops on my guage only when im at idle.

DAMN, broke an ez-out.... Not good! Going to have to use a milling bit to drill through it, and retap the threads. Anyhow, (could be wrong here) a leakdown test detects these seals right? Dont want to lead you down the wrong path, but its worth mentioning. If I am wrong, I am sorry. As for the stud, is there any bolt sticking out, or is it flush? If some is out, weld a nut to it, and wheel it out with a socket. Good luck.

As for fixing the stud, im taking that to a machine shop so they can do what they do best LOL it will be needing a heli-coil. I would like more info why a pre exhaust leak is bad other than making the turbo more laggy.

. Anyhow, (could be wrong here) a leakdown test detects these seals right? Dont want to lead you down the wrong path, but its worth mentioning. If I am wrong, I am sorry. As for the stud, is there any bolt sticking out, or is it flush? If some is out, weld a nut to it, and wheel it out with a socket. Good luck.

A leakdown test won't detect bad valve stem seals. It will tell you if the valves are sealing against the valve seats.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back