The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Valve ping and rough idle

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bestwestranger

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 24, 2003
Cotter, Arkansas
Hey guys. In the past week I have noticed my car has been running sort of rough, and the power seems to be going down. At about 5K revs, I can hear some valve chatter, and I get some smoke out of the exhaust. The smoke is nothing new, but it has just now become a regular thing. The only mods I have done is hack the airbox, and added a Flowmaster muffler. It almost feels like I put crappy gas in it, but I am near the end of a tankfull of gas that I have yet to have a problem with. I also just ran injector cleaner though it. I am thinking a vacuum leak, or a timing problem. Any ideas?

:thumbdown OK, now I go out and start my car to go to work, and there is a really bad noise coming from the valve cover. Very loud, and very scary. I think I have just narrowed it down to a bent or stuck valve, or my timing belt has slipped. :thumbdown

Check your timing marks on the cam gears it might just be a collapsed lifter, and for what ever reason please get rid of the flowmaster muffler on the car.Believe it or not you are hurting performance with that muffler.

Well, my first clue was that one cam mark was straight up, and the other was at about 2 o'clock. Pulled the head and sure enough, all my intake valves had hit the pistons. Bought 8 new valves and I am currently in the process of replacing them, if I can find a spring compresor that will fit the head! Its been a very expensive day! :thumbdown

Checked VFAQ, and designed a much better compressor. I am going to build a few more of them if anyone needs one. You can find the ad in the Classified Ads forum. Anyway, it turns out I only bent 3 valves. I replaced them, and hopfully tommorow I will have wheels again! Thanks for your help guys!:thumb:

Well, got her all put back together today, even though I got rained on a few times (no garage or carport at my house!). I think it may have actually slipped a few months ago, cause it runs alot better than its has been. I also match ported the head and intake while I was there. Also found my accelerator cable was out of adjustment and I wasn't getting WOT. So thanks for everybody's input!:thumb: :dsm:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back