The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

When to upgrade Lash Adjusters and Rocker Arms?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cassera

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 9, 2009
Bronx, New_York
Now I know when most people build their head they normally do cams, valve springs and retainers but my question to you guys is at what point would you really need Rocker Arms and Valve lifers? If you already have upgraded valve springs, retainers and cams than wouldn't it be only right to do Lifters and rocker arms also? Even if your only going for let's say 400whp and only reving to 8,500 rpm on a 2.0? Does it really complete your valve train and give you some extra horses?

Thanks a lot

Joey

Well you wouldn't necessarily need lifters and rocker arms. But if you are doing all that work already its always a good idea to get it all taken care of the first time. Instead of going back and doing that. Save the hassle in my opinion.

I do not know of any upgraded roller followers on the market for the 4g63, as long as the wheel spins freely and smoothly you should be ok.

A lot of DSMers make a move to the 3g HLAs. claiming they are quieter, if your head has been sludged up well, then new HLAs may be a good idea.

Also, you may want to do this oil mod...
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/341028-4g63t-head-oil-port-mod.html

Yeah, It just came to mind of why doesn't everybody upgrade their valve train with the full set-up.

I guess there's no real answer to that, its like asking why everybody does pistons and rods but no crank.
I just have this idea of building the engine completely from top to bottom despite of hearing a lot of people say to go from the ground up.

if thats what you want to do then its your ride and you can....

a fully built head would be....

+1mm OS valves ($200)
bronze guides ($75)
good springs ($500)
Ti retainers (^^^)
cams ($400)
cam gears ($250)
3g lifters ($90)
replace the folowers as needed ($??)

machine work would be
R&R guides ($90)
3 angle Valve job ($200)
Oil port mod 1
surface ($45)

you may also
Port n polish the head ($300 +)
new valve seats ($160 to replace them all)

you also may want to add the kiggley HLA regulator ($160)

just guessing .. all this would be about $2500-$3000 to do and get everything above.
the prices above are just rough estimates

but what are your real goals? what do you plan to do with the car?

I guess there's no real answer to that, its like asking why everybody does pistons and rods but no crank.

Probably because the stock crank is good for gobs of power. Unless you are looking for 800+hp the stock crank is more than enough. Even at 800hp it should still be fine.
Valve train.
3g lifters are a very common mod. All they do is eliminate the lifter tick that is it. No performance to be gained from them.
Roller rockers, I have been emailing crower to see if they will make one and they will let me know if they try anything new.
The rockers and lifters from a dsm are interchangeable with an evo. However if you look on evom forum the lifters still tick and people still break rockers. They are stamped steel but there is no proof on which rocker is better to use and why. Some say dsm and some say evo.
So would you really spend $150 on used evo rockers if you don't know if they will be any better than oem?
If I had money I would try them but how could I tell if they were better? I snapped a rocker a few weeks back but mine also have 134k miles on them. If I throw in some evo ones and drive around till they have 135k miles and then break are they going to be worth the money?
Spend your money wisely!

if thats what you want to do then its your ride and you can....

a fully built head would be....

+1mm OS valves ($200)
bronze guides ($75)
good springs ($500)
Ti retainers (^^^)
cams ($400)
cam gears ($250)
3g lifters ($90)
replace the folowers as needed ($??)

machine work would be
R&R guides ($90)
3 angle Valve job ($200)
Oil port mod 1
surface ($45)

you may also
Port n polish the head ($300 +)
new valve seats ($160 to replace them all)

you also may want to add the kiggley HLA regulator ($160)

just guessing .. all this would be about $2500-$3000 to do and get everything above.
the prices above are just rough estimates

but what are your real goals? what do you plan to do with the car?

My power goals are to run pump gas w/ street tires and no nos and hopefully get into the high 11's 1/4 mile wise. I just sorta want to overbuild the engine for its 1/4 mile goals...for ex If its gonna be a high 11 second car, than I'll have 10 second parts in it just for peace of mind. This should take me about a year and a half-2 years to do seeing as I really have no responsibilities except for a job....I have no bills to pay, I owe no money to anybody, I dont go to school (currently). So this is gonna be a project car.
A 1991 eclipse Gsx.....

Oh and most importantly, I don't have the car yet, Im 18 years old, and Just got my drivers license after 2 years of driving with a permit about a week ago, and the only knowledge I have about DSM's are from about 6 months of constantly researching every single day and coming on here EVERY SINGLE DAY!
Man, I even look through the service manual every couple of days to learn more about the car so when I get it, I at least hit the floor running.
So whatcha guys think?

So there ya go, everything on the table

Here you go for your head work for your goals.
Option1:
HKS 272 cams

Option2:
Kelford 272 cams
Kiggly springs/retainers

Option3:
FP2 cams

Option4:
Any other cam (delta, ffwd/dks, bc, crower etc)

Really for 11s you can do it on a 100% stock head. Cams help out and are some cheap power. Just get a good MLS headgasket and some ARP headstuds and you will be fine. If you want to change anything else just do oem valve seals and 3g lifters if you don't want it to tick.
You're making things way too complex.

People have gone 10s on stock head/block with a set of cams.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back