The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Valve cover can I reuse the week old gasket?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2G Josh

Proven Member
Aug 23, 2014
Bloomington, Illinois
Hey fellas... Couple questions... My valve cover has a tiny crack in the well so it fills up with oil. So I bought another cover and will replace it today. However.... A week ago I did the valve cover gasket and the rings and bought an OEM cap thinking t
One of those would fix the oil in the well. (I didn't realize it was cracked. You can barely see it) but my first question is can I reuse the week old gasket?? Second.. What techniques have you guys used for covering just the letters on the cover when painting it?

You can reuse the gasket just add some rtv. As to covering the letters you can use masking tape and an small knife to cute around it. Or just paint everything and sand the letters down once everything is done

I do not agree on the rtv. Only place rtv is specified is on the half moon. A quality gasket and properly torued bolts. No leaks. Yes you can reuse it.

It's more of a back up then what's necessary. On my car there's rtv on every edge and the half moon. But when I do valve covers at my shop I put red rtv on most of the gasket. And all of them have gone years without leaking. Mine is starting to leak again.

Very minimal amounts of RTV should be used. Along the top of the semi-circle plug, and at sharp transitions on the valve cover.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

If you are wanting the letters on the valve cover bare/natural finish, I would paint the entire cover and let the paint dry/cure. Take a very fine metal file across the top surface of the letters. The paint will remove easily. When the desired look is achieved, touch up the top of the now bare letter surfaces with some hig-temp clear paint applied with a brush.

If the letters are already painted, you could put a light coat of petroleum jelly on the letter surfaces. Paint the entire valve cover and let it dry/cure. Then carefully wipe of the letter surfaces.

Last edited:
I always paint the letters then use a block of wood I wrap in fine grit sand paper and sand the paint off, then go up grits to polish the letters, then clear the entire cover when done.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back