The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Valve cover color opinions

What color valve cover would look good.

• Gloss White with Black or Polished letters

Votes: 8 22.2%
  • Black Chrome with polished letters

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Red with polished letters

Votes: 10 27.8%
  • Gunmetal with polished letters

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • Other color, post in topic (No full polish though)

Votes: 2 5.6%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Looks a lot like mine!! I painted the whole thing then used brake clean sprayed on a rag to remove the paint from the letters. Then hit it lightly with the sander.

engine2web.jpg

ROFL I knew i would find someone with that same color someday.
Im thinking about doing my spare one purple with the the polished letters.
Not sure why cause i don't like purple much.
But i think it would look awesome with the polished letters:p
I like how you did the eci looks clean.
My engine bay needs a good cleaning but idk what to use to get all the grease and grime to come off without extensive long days of inch by inch scrubbing:|

what kinda paint did you guys use, or was it just spray paint???

I used hight temp engine enamel. It seems a little tougher. I painted it, then sanded the letters with a dremel. Then I hit it with several coats of high temp clear coat. Looks real sharp and the paint isn't flaking yet.

That's an anodized blue color. The clear coat has kept the lettering from tarnishing at all.

Attachments

• DSC07417_sm.jpg
    DSC07417_sm.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 163
I think yours looks good,but that blue one is really nice also.I personally like the polished letters.

well that blue one looks pretty nice, im gonna be doing mine gloss black today, then using a dremel for the letters like knochgoon24.... nice :talon:

do i gotta prep the valve cover at all??? or do i just go ahead and start spraying as soon as i take it off???

I would use some industrial paint stripper to get the old paint off. Then, make sure to wash all of it off before even trying to paint. take some sand paper and rough up the surface well. Spray on some high temp primer. Wait for that to dry. Then, paint it with some high heat engine enamel in a color of your choice. :thumb:

The can on the right:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I even used this on one once. Really looked PIMP!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I finally replaced my Valve cover gasket and put the new valve cover on.

Now here are the pictures of the valve cover installed.

Here's a closer shot

Well hope everyone here has a good day. Peace out everyone. Thanks again for all your help

To the moderators, if the pictures are too big, could you please tell me how I can resize them b/c I don't know how to. Thank you in advance and sorry if I broke the rules. I know you guys would let me know right away if I did.

Do they sell a decent metallic purple flake, i would love to match my greddy type S BOV with my valve cover...it would be great if someone could get back to me.

EventsCo21XL, Yes I did have a 98 NT/Turbo, Black, Wingless. My Baby. It was stolen over a year ago. I picked up a 94 Talon TSI AWD.

OP, Be different. You have a white car? White VC!!! I told my friend to do this to his white GST, He did it to a spare VC and it looks hella hot! I like matching the VC with the car.
My VC:

Looks soo much better in person, but the flash killed it.

When I painted my valve cover, I actually used a completely standard gold color. It was the same stuff you would paint arts and crafts or something like that. I also used an adhesion promoter before the base gold and I used a high clear coat. It's been over a month and I've driven the car plenty and haven't noticed any imperfections yet.

This is a terrible picture so I'll try to remember to replace it when I get my new shots loaded up.

Thanks.

When I finished it, I was genuinely shocked at how well it turned out. My intake is also the same color.

Paint it red and then sand off the letters real good.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back