The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Valiant

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Found this car a few weeks ago on local CL advertised for $400, non running for 6+ years. Not that I needed another project, but I figured I'd at least talk to the guy and see what the deal was.
After chatting for a bit, he said it needed an ECU and a few other small things looked at, but was fairly set on the price (it had been on CL for about 6 months). Then we chatted about his truck, an 04 f150 that he wanted to get a programmer for, and I mentioned I had an old edge unit no longer in use ( my freind was going to throw the programmer away, so I took it) and he asked if he was interested in a trade. We agreed on the programmer and $100.

I sent the ECU to emclink for repairs and after a whopping $60 for a new ECU (love them ecmlink dudes!) I tried it out. No start still, but everything else appeared to check fine. Deduced no fuel, hauled the car to my buddies place since my roomy/landlord said no more cars till some leave LOLLOLLOL . I pulled the pump from the panda shell (Weissen Tod), tested it and it worked great! So yesterday I went over after work, spilled and got covered in fuel, and after the new pump she fired up and purred like a kitten. The a/c even blows nice and chilly!!

Needs a few small issues addressed:
1: Overheats after small drive, suspect bad fan coolant switch and possible clogged rad/heater core.
2: headlight motors don't work, haven't dug into this yet
3: axles click on tight turns, easy-peasy.
4: no stereo and cut harness, guess I'll have to buy one and get paid installing it at my work ROFLROFL
5: needs at least rear tires. I may swap sets around on the current cars. The laser has Mazda rims with way too much positive offset, despite them looking good.
6: the brakes need either turned or replaced from rust, stops fine but I haven't decided what to do with that yet.
7: clutch needs bled at minimum and shifter bushings on the cables, it won't even engage the gear all the way as it sits now.

Otherwise the car is in great shape and the fixes are all minor in my mind. Just before the ECU went out the PO of the PO had the cylinder head rebuilt/replaced and a new OEM timing setup done, receipts were included, and under the hood it looks very clean. No oil leaks, not hacked up wiring, not overly dirty even.

Very happy with my cheapo purchase, and the plan is to get it roadworthy, drive it for a couple weeks to make sure it's solid, then sell it! I'd almost keep it for a gas miser, but I have an mx3 for that and don't need this many cars, haha. Maybe noone will want to buy it and I'll be forced to keep it?? :laser:

Couple pics, I'll get more in the next few days/week and update when I can.
IMG_20190730_164839.jpg
IMG_20190730_164847.jpg
IMG_20190730_164858.jpg
IMG_20190730_164928.jpg
IMG_20190730_164943.jpg

What does everyone else think I should do with this Lil guy??

Put alot of new stuff on and have been driving it alot! It runs awesome and drives excellent. Love the cruise and a/c, first car I've really used a/c in haha. It's a slow lil car, but it's such a joy to drive I dont even care :D

If noone buys it I'll continue driving it and use it as a daily! I kinda wanna do some different stuff once I get more time, would be a fun test platform!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back