The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

420A Vacuum leak

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

96eclipse_rst

Probationary Member
Jan 23, 2010
San Antonio, Texas
Hearing some sort vacuum sound from the back left side of the engine. Towards the timing belt. Idk if it's because I need to replace it or something. Anybody have any idea.? I have a 99 eclipse GS

One, the front of the motor is where the timing belt is. Take some starting fluid and spray it on the vacuum lines while its running. If the idle gets better, you have a vacuum leak.

No, it runs great the idling is good. But the check engine light comes on[DOUBLEPOST=1408240429][/DOUBLEPOST]
One, the front of the motor is where the timing belt is. Take some starting fluid and spray it on the vacuum lines while its running. If the idle gets better, you have a vacuum leak.
I hear the sound coming from the front too, around the radiator cap[DOUBLEPOST=1408241041][/DOUBLEPOST]
Check your vacation lines does it run like crap is there any symptoms that are out of the ordinary
It actually runs great, my check engine light comes on and that vacuum noise gets annoying. You can hear it more as I accelerate & it sort of sounds like my air intake sucking in air but I can hear the distinct difference from the vacuum leak

Last edited:
Check the brake booster line, and the fuel pressure solenoid. Those are the two things on that side of the engine that can cause that. My car blew the brake booster line off once, i found out it didnt have a clamp on it when I bought the car. Just some things to check.

Have you scanned your CEL? And is it almost like a whistling noise? Mine did that when i had a cracked intake. Still the starting fluid trick will tell you.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back