The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

Vacumn Leak?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zerocygnal

20+ Year Contributor
Jul 1, 2002
Springfield, Ohio
Here I am leaving the gas station and before I pull into the street I happen to glance at my (aftermarket) boost gauge. It's reading 0...impossible I thought..stomped the gas to see if the needle moved and it only went into the boost area of the gauge up to about 3psi...then fell back to 0...WTF? At a stop light I get 13hng usually it sits about 18 or so. As I pull away and start moving, I get to second gear and decide to give it some boost...only goes up to about 10.5 or so. Usually I get 15 with a creep to 18. I get home the engine is idling like crap, missing at about 500rpm.
I'm thinking vacumn leak right? I go over every hose I can think of.. All of my emissions are removed, has been for some time...EGR Valve is still there, but capped off. I put a vacumn hand pump on the hose junction at the fuel pressure reg and everything held with no leaks. Checked and even replaced most of the other hoses since I planned on doing this anyway.
Start the engine up, runs like a charm. So I start going again, I'm getting 18 vac/ 15psi boost. Cool it's fixed....next stop light engine warms up a little more and it starts it's #### again...cept i'm getting 13vac.
Intermittent Vacumn problem??!!? Some suggestions Please!
Is the damn EGR Valve opening and causing an intake leak?? The intake gaskets? I went over all the connections around the throttle body area with soapy water and ran it..nothing...sealed fine.
Suggestions?

It still could be a lot of things, even the smallest crack in a vac. line will cause it to loose vacume. Also, check your connections not just the lines, make sure they arn't messed up either. I'm not sure about the EGR because that is vac. accuated. That's all i can suggest for now, let us know!

I do question some of the plastic junction connectors. However all the vacumn lines are new...
I'm starting to wonder if it's not the boost gauge vacumn line behind the a-pillar....I don't hear any hissing. And I did use teflon tape on the threads, so it's not likely to come off.
Would a test such as this find the problem?
http://www.vfaq.com/mods/ICtester.html

No the EGR is capped off, and the emissions system is no longer on the car

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back