The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Usually starts perfect. Tonight won't turn over.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

9!'clipseDOHC

Aug 24, 2003
El Paso, Texas
I have a 91 eclipse and it usually starts and runs fine. Tonight I was driving my car and everything was working fine like normal. I turned the car off for about 10 minutes and when I went to start it again it turned over real slow like the battery was low. I checked the voltammeter, 12 volts. I tried again and I heard what sounded like some sort of electrical interference. I tried again and the only thing I heard was the fuel pump running. I've got a full battery, 12 volts on the voltammeter, and everything else works, seatbelts, lights, radio, etc. But when I turn the key the only thing that starts is the fuel pump.

This same thing happened about a month ago, it turned over sluggish and I heard what sounded like electrical interference, but when I turned the key off and then on again it started up fine, and has started up fine since then. Until tonight.

I've already checked the clutch safety switch and it is being depressed so why isn't it turning over. Any ideas? Thanks guys.

Last edited:
check that your terminals are clean and that there is no corrosion inside the wires. after that check your starter connections. you can even test your wire right after the terminal sitting and when you put a load on it to start it and see what it does.

Ok I checked it today. Battery posts are clean and tight. No corrosion, no movement.

The ground wire on the body is tight and making a good metal on metal connection. I checked touching the ground on the body and the positive battery terminal and I got 12 volts.

The large red wire on the starter is getting 12 volts, drops down to 11.8 when I turn the key, but nothing happens. I know there are 2 other wires going to the plug on the starter. What kind of reading should I get there? Which one goes hot when you turn the key?

I'm going to look at it some more this afternoon now that I've got more time. I have a spare starter, I might try to switch it out. I don't know what else to try.

Thanks for the replies so far!

Nevermind, I fixed it! I swapped out the starter and and BAM! Started right away!

well, didn't get your post in time. LOL. was gonna tell ya to replace that thing. LOL. glad ya figured it out!

well, didn't get your post in time. LOL. was gonna tell ya to replace that thing. LOL. glad ya figured it out!
Yeah I was thinking it was the starter at first too, except for the electrical interference noise. Sounded like a bad ground or a short or something. But so far its working great. I'm just hoping that its not still something else also.

I once discovered a faulty starter that was arcing out...... at the same time I discovered a loose AN line with fuel dripping out in the engine bay.... whooo buddy. boy was I glad I found that problem....

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back