The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

ECMlink Using Omni-Power MAP Sensor to run SD using ECMLink

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GsXtacY325

15+ Year Contributor
May 21, 2003
Des Moines, Iowa
Been looking for a MAP sensor to use w/ ECMlinkV3. I would like to run a MAP based setup utilizing speed density via dsmlink. I recently discovered Omni-power Mass Absolute Pressure sensors, but I have a few questions & looking for some input before purchasing.

1. Being that Omni-power describes there sensors as direct bolt-on/plug-n-play, would the MAP sensor replace the factory MDP sensor? Due to the MDP primarily assisting EGR operation, how would this effect users that keep the factory EGR system? (Not me, my EGR is long gone, just curious)

2. Does the MAP sensor still need to be wired to a specific ECU pinout or input to be used in conjunction w/ ECMLink or this sensor really a true plug-n-play as described?

3. I have heard of other sensors losing resolution (correct me if this is improper terminology) when using a higher Bar rated sensor (for instance 5bar AEM vs. 3.5bar). Would there be any disadvantage in using an Omni 4bar (or even 7bar although way overkill) instead of a 3bar?
I am still on an FP T-28 so won't be seeing 30psi anytime real soon, but I plan to boost to the moon one day when I have the proper setup.

Any help, answers, advice would be greatly appreciated! :rocks:

The omnipower unit does directly replace your MDP sensor and will plug into the factory wiring harness. I can't tell you for certain but I suspect that DSMlink expects the MAP sensor input at the factory pin so it should be a plug and play unit if you select the correct scaling. As for the EGR it really doesn't matter especially if you have dsmlink. IIRC the EGR system should still function and the ecu should be able to ascertain what is going on with the new sensor because you are telling it how to read the output from that sensor.

As for resolution what you say is true, as you read a greater range within the same spectrum your resolution will go down but the criticisms that you refer to are actually from the AEM sensors using a smaller voltage range than other sensors .5v to 4.5v IIRC which significantly reduces granularity. The omni sensors IIRC don't have this issue and 7bar sensors have been used again and again by evo guys to run SD with no problems.

Once you go with SD, you pull the maf and mdp, installed the map sensor in place of the mdp, weld in a aem or equivalent temp sensor into the intercooler piping, and run SD. The wiring has to be done per the setup you will be running.

I have no idea how it must be done for dsmlink. But for instance, on the evo ecu swap and running SD, you have to wire it in to a specific spot and the same goes for the temp sensor.

Resolution, you shouldnt have any problem with. And as always, 1 bar is used for atmospheric pressure, and the rest is for boost. So, your 4 bar omni is really a 3 bar boost map sensor.

James :dsm::talon::laser:

AEM sensors aren't the greatest for the reasons Curtis already mentioned. The pressure signal is only distributed across a 4v signal. But, that said, they do drive fine. I'm running an AEM 3.5-bar on my car now (mainly because that's just the last thing I happened to be testing a few weeks ago) and it drives perfectly fine at idle, cruise and full throttle. But...as mentioned, the resolution is definitely not as good as other sensors.

For ECMLink, you are free to run the pressure sensor signal into any available input. When you install the pressure sensor, you just tell ECMLink where the signal is connected (which input) and the ECU will take care of it.

The IAT, however, must be wired into the IAT input because that's the only input with appropriate pull up/pull down resistor combinations built into it (well, coolant temp does too, but I don't think people are generally willing to give that input up).

More details on our SD Setup page.

Thomas Dorris

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back