The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

2G Using an Evo 8 IAC and TPS on a 2g

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cficare68

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 29, 2010
Boise, Idaho
I've been searching for a while now with no luck. Has anyone ever ran a throttle body for an evo 8/9 on their DSM and used the TPS and IAC?

I know some guy managed to make an evo 4 or 5 TB work... I figure it should bolt up.

But here is a better question... Why would you. What benefit. Match your TB to your intake manifold. We've got a few options for ones that work and fit with no modification. 1g/2g/1gN/T/3000gt N/T get one that fits your intake manifold bore size. If you want a 2g manifold or evo3 manifold but a slightly bigger tb, then bore it out and use a 1g or 1g n/t tb.

I know some guy managed to make an evo 4 or 5 TB work... I figure it should bolt up.

But here is a better question... Why would you. What benefit. Match your TB to your intake manifold. We've got a few options for ones that work and fit with no modification. 1g/2g/1gN/T/3000gt N/T get one that fits your intake manifold bore size. If you want a 2g manifold or evo3 manifold but a slightly bigger tb, then bore it out and use a 1g or 1g n/t tb.

I bought my car as a shell and i am putting it together. I have no plans what so ever to run a stock intake manifold or throttle body. My game plan is to run a billet jm fab drag manifold and a 74mm s90 throttle body. The reason i wanna run the evo sensors are because i have spare tps and iacs sensors for an evo. I know the tps will work because if you look at the boomba throttle bodies they use the evo tps sensor. The iac though is my concern.

They make s90 tbs for either platform. I would prefer to go with the evo model. That why im asking about the using the evo iac on a dsm.

Can't say since I haven't done it.

People has used EVO ECU's on DSM's after flashing the tuning changes but I don't think anyone looked closely at how well the idle speed stepping worked for a street car.

The EVO IAC has about the same resistance for each coil as the DSM ISC/IAC so it wouldn't smoke the DSM ECU drivers. You would need to verify that the pintle steps in the correct direction since the wiring of the coils varies between DSM years. Changing the coil wiring order can fix that if it's wrong.

What's not clear is how much air flow per step but I suspect it's close enough. The idle airflow is a pretty sensitive parameter on a DSM and surging is what happens when you get too much. On a race car with a race tune you can dial out most of the factory idle behavior.

Not planning on running a stock ecu. Im planning on running an evo 8 aem (v1 or v2) which is another reason id like to try to stick with evo sensors. Both iacv on each platform use a 6 pin connector so i am going to assume that they would work. I would just need the wiring pin out for both iacv to see what wire goes to what between the dsm harness and evo pigtail.

So wait i just thought about this. If the 2g can use evo ecus then the pin outs would have to be identical between the two sensors. Therefore as long as i have the evo pigtail i should be able to wire it into the dsm harness and be able to use the iacv from the evo without any issue.

It sounds like you have it figured out. Sorry I just assumed it as yet another one of those can I use these evo parts my friend had left from his evo build on my dsm type posts. But it seems like you know whats up. If you end up doing that, let us Know what you figure out. Never a bad thing to share the knowledge.

It sounds like you have it figured out. Sorry I just assumed it as yet another one of those can I use these evo parts my friend had left from his evo build on my dsm type posts. But it seems like you know whats up. If you end up doing that, let us Know what you figure out. Never a bad thing to share the knowledge.

I mean it is kind of like that I guess. I have the Evo sensors and I'd have to buy the DSM ones. Plus on the Evo style S90 throttle bodies you don't have to worry about blocking off the FIAV cause they come in one piece where as the DSM ones you install the bottom of the stock throttle body (which I don't have) to the S90 so it still has the provisions for the coolant lines. Bottom line cost is the biggest factor. I don't mind spending the money if I have too. But if I can accomplish the same task and save money I'm always down to take that path.

I mean it is kind of like that I guess. I have the Evo sensors and I'd have to buy the DSM ones. Plus on the Evo style S90 throttle bodies you don't have to worry about blocking off the FIAV cause they come in one piece where as the DSM ones you install the bottom of the stock throttle body (which I don't have) to the S90 so it still has the provisions for the coolant lines. Bottom line cost is the biggest factor. I don't mind spending the money if I have too. But if I can accomplish the same task and save money I'm always down to take that path.

Not really what I meant. Used to be, and still are to some extent, a lot of can I use an evo 8/9 turbo on my nearly stock 2g posts stuff like that from when evo parts were a dime a dozen. But now that stock evo 8/9 are getting hard to find, and the parts well has dried up its not as common. I thought you were wanting to use an evo throttle body on a stock intake manifold. Would be an aweful lot of work and experimentation to make that work, and work well without stalling, and partial throttle tune issues, idle surge, etc for little benefit. When you could just get a throttle body that works for most people (anyone under 500-550 whp range could be spending that money in other places than throttle body upgrades).

I don't know about the S90 throttle bodies, but on the stock mitsubishi ones, you can block the FIAV without a block off plate. You just knock out the freeze plug and crank the fiav down with needle nose or an adjustable pin spanner, or some lock ring pliers work well too.

Not really what I meant. Used to be, and still are to some extent, a lot of can I use an evo 8/9 turbo on my nearly stock 2g posts stuff like that from when evo parts were a dime a dozen. But now that stock evo 8/9 are getting hard to find, and the parts well has dried up its not as common. I thought you were wanting to use an evo throttle body on a stock intake manifold. Would be an aweful lot of work and experimentation to make that work, and work well without stalling, and partial throttle tune issues, idle surge, etc for little benefit. When you could just get a throttle body that works for most people (anyone under 500-550 whp range could be spending that money in other places than throttle body upgrades).

I don't know about the S90 throttle bodies, but on the stock mitsubishi ones, you can block the FIAV without a block off plate. You just knock out the freeze plug and crank the fiav down with needle nose or an adjustable pin spanner, or some lock ring pliers work well too.

From the looks of it the you remove the bottom section of your oem throttle body and install it on the bottom of the s90. If you wish it will allow you to delete the fiav and iac as a whole by using a block off plate. Id rather just avoid the fiav in general and by an evo one since the bottom section come attached and the fiav isn't something you have to worry about anyways.

Yeah thats how it usually works.

If you're running an EMS designed for an evo, it should be no problem.

As long as the EMS can drive the stepper motor in the ISC it should be okay. The TPS can be calibrated with the EMS.

You'd just need to figure the wiring. Shouldn't be too hard.

Evo tps sensor will plug into the dsm harness with no rewiring needed. Just to cut the dsm pigtail and solder in the evo pigtail. They look identical anyways the only different is the DSM one is larger than that evo one. I have a v1 in my evo and it drives that stepper motor so I shouldn't have any problems are there.

Old thread revival .......
But what was the outcome of this? I need to wire an Evo IAC to use on a Q45 TB setup on my Talon.

Old thread revival .......
But what was the outcome of this? I need to wire an Evo IAC to use on a Q45 TB setup on my Talon.
The pinout would be the same between 2G DSM and EVO 8.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

EVO 8 <-> 2G DSM
Pin #1: Blue/Yellow <-> #1: Grey
Pin #2: Red/Yellow <-> #2: Red
Pin #3: Yellow <-> #3: Green/Black
Pin #4: Red/Green <-> #4: Grey/Blue
Pin #5: Red/Yellow <-> #5: Red
Pin #6: Light Green <-> #6: Green/Yellow

Last edited:
So I just bought the Magnus remote IAC for my 95 DSM harness mirage to try and stop the cold start annoyances or holding the pedal down some until coolant temps is 100°

So I just need an EVO 3 bolt IAC and I can plug the sucker in and drill and tap for a 1/4" barb at the TB elbow and the other side at the intake mani. Yes?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back