The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Using An EVO 8-10 throttle body on my dsm

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew Conrady

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 9, 2009
Lawton, Oklahoma
I have been trying to explore my options with different throttle bodies. What are your thoughts on using the evo 8,9,or 10 throttle bodies? I don't know alot about them as far as size etc either.

Also, what would I need to make this work. Throttle Postion Senser? I can get adapter plates for mounting to the smim etc i assume if needed

I am trying to build a 500hp motor if that helps. See profile for parts I own already. I am willing to buy pretty much whatever it takes.

If anyone also has any better parts to suggest please feel free to suggest it out and why. Cost too if possible.

Thanks again

Last edited:
I don't know the sizes of the evo throttle bodies but i you can get your stock on ported to 63mm or go with a mustang style bbk with an adapter plate or just order a smim with a flange for it. Are you looking for 500 wheel or crank horsepower?

why not the q45 throttle body.

WHP, also I have never used any other tb then stock so all suggestions are helpful

the q45 tb's are 80 or 90mm and the tps can be spliced into the stock harness.

also they are pretty cheap 100-250ish on ebay

A stock 1g throttle body doesn't have a problem making that kind of power, just clean it up and replace the shaft seals and you'll be good to go.

Thanks for all the info. I didn't realize the evo tb were the same size as the 1g. Should have done more research before i posted.

Think I will just try the stock 1g tb and if all else fails I can replace this part easy after engine install.

Since I actually have an Evo 8 TB in my possession and have taken quite a few comparison measurements, I might as well post up and share. Like I always do.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

As you may notice, there is an extension on the TB housing that is not on 1G or 2G TBs. Thus you would need a coupler to connect the intercooler piping. I know this wasn't any sort of question, just putting it out there. Here are a few quick pix from a Google search.

Anyways, the tip of the extension measures at 67mm (ID). At the rear of the housing, after the plate, the housing measures at 60.5mm (ID). There have been people who have had these TBs ported out to 65mm, but I'm not sure if it's completely worth the money, with it costing at least $300 IIRC.

And just for reference, this TB will absolutely bolt up to any 1G, 2G, or Evo 3 intake manifold (or obviously any aftermarket IM with the same bolt pattern).

BTW, the Evo 8 & 9 TBs are not the same as the Evo 10 TBs. But that's obvious.

DSMunkown, Do you know if it will use the same ISC and TPS as the 2G? I have a brink new Skunk2 68mm TB for an EVO 8/9 and an EVO III intake manifold that I'm going to have bored to 68mm and ported by Curt Brown racing. So I want to have all of the needed parts ready.

Thanks

DSMunkown, Do you know if it will use the same ISC and TPS as the 2G? I have a brink new Skunk2 68mm TB for an EVO 8/9 and an EVO III intake manifold that I'm going to have bored to 68mm and ported by Curt Brown racing. So I want to have all of the needed parts ready.

Thanks

the connectors are smaller on evo8/9 so you need to get wire clips from 8/9 harness. not an easy find as those harnesses are worth 200-300 complete. the sensor footprint is differnet as well so you cant swap.

there is also the question if the ISC interchanges well or not in the ecu. the 1g/2g has 110 step stepper motor. I belive the evo8/9 has 170 steps but not sure. some say they swap fine and others say there are idle problems

the connectors are smaller on evo8/9 so you need to get wire clips from 8/9 harness. not an easy find as those harnesses are worth 200-300 complete. the sensor footprint is differnet as well so you cant swap.

there is also the question if the ISC interchanges well or not in the ecu. the 1g/2g has 110 step stepper motor. I belive the evo8/9 has 170 steps but not sure. some say they swap fine and others say there are idle problems

Thanks for the answer. I guess I will need to sell the Skunk2 TB and get a different one. Maybe the BOOMBA or another that I was told about by JNZ Tuning, I think it's called S90. Both of them will use 2G DSM sensors.

As the ECU is concerned, I don’t think it cares if the TPS and ISC are from an EVO8, 1G or 2G they should work just fine. I myself as well as several others are running EVO8 ECU's in their DSMs without having to swap over to the EVO TPS/ISC, and one of the popular options for EVO engine management before ECUflash came along was to put DSMlink in the EVO. So you shouldn’t have any issues there..

As the ECU is concerned, I don’t think it cares if the TPS and ISC are from an EVO8, 1G or 2G they should work just fine. I myself as well as several others are running EVO8 ECU's in their DSMs without having to swap over to the EVO TPS/ISC, and one of the popular options for EVO engine management before ECUflash came along was to put DSMlink in the EVO. So you shouldn’t have any issues there..

So I would just need to make/get adaptor harnesses? I am under the impression that the connectors are not the same?

They are but they aren't... From the pictures I have seen it looks like a 4 pin wide connector like the DSM but it only has 3 of the pins used like the 1G sensors. There appears to be a couple of different TPSs 1 of the 2 looks like it might just be a straight plug in... Or may be just that there is a chip in the plastic on the sensor to the left.

Pictures borrowed from EVOm.

Attachments

• IMG_3553.jpg
    IMG_3553.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 305
Last edited by a moderator:

Ecmlink V3 has Direct access files to over come the ISC issues. I am running a 2G ECU with V3 and SD on my brothers Evo.

They are but they aren’t... From the pictures I have seen it looks like a 4 pin wide connector like the DSM but it only has 3 of the pins used like the 1G sensors. There appears to be a couple of different TPSs 1 of the 2 looks like it might just be a straight plug in… Or may be just that there is a chip in the plastic on the sensor to the left.

Pictures borrowed from EVOm.

It is missing the Idle switch pin you can also use ECMlink V3 to simulate the idle switch.

Ecmlink V3 has Direct access files to over come the ISC issues. I am running a 2G ECU with V3 and SD on my brothers Evo.

It is missing the Idle switch pin you can also use ECMlink V3 to simulate the idle switch.
1997_gsx what direct access settings do u have to use to operate the evo isc without issues with dsmlink? putting a evo9 s90 throttle body with evo 9 tps and isc valve

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back