The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

Using a Front Case with Crankwalk wear

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greekgodchaos

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 4, 2007
Vancouver, Washington
I have a front case with a giant hairline crack that is causing on oil leak.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I have an old case from my previous engine that crankwalked, so there is some slight wear in the case on the back side. I measured how much wear there is and its only 0.32mm, so hardly anything.

There are no cracks (aside from your usual casting flaws and crap) but no cracks that go completely through from back to front. I am fairly certain using the case SHOULD be okay, but I just wanted input from other people here. It might also be worth mentioning that this is an OEM case (both the cracked and uncracked ones)

I would not use that pump. Follow the procedure in the service manual and measure the case accordingly. You can buya new acl pump for 170.... now worth it in my estimation. Oil pump and wear being used in the same sentence. No thanks

I would not use that pump. Follow the procedure in the service manual and measure the case accordingly. You can buya new acl pump for 170.... now worth it in my estimation. Oil pump and wear being used in the same sentence. No thanks

I do want to clarify it's not the pump that's worn, it's that ring around the crankshaft opening that's worn 0.32mm. The pump itself is fine visually, but I will double check for any wear and post back shortly.

I do want to clarify it's not the pump that's worn, it's that ring around the crankshaft opening that's worn 0.32mm. The pump itself is fine visually, but I will double check for any wear and post back shortly.
No i understand.....its just not worth bolting a used worn pump on any engine esp considering you can have one new for 170 bucks. I understand the damage was caused by excessive endplay and doesnt necessarily effect the area of the pump that makes oil pressure. Its not worth all the hassle imo, buy a new pump and be done with it....

I wouldn't. A new oil pump is only a drop in the bucket compared to the money it can cost you to replace the damage from using it. Not to mention if it was on an engine that crankwalked it could, and likely does, have metal in it. When my motor crank walked I scrapped damn near everything from the head down.

Decided to just go with a new ACL oil pump case. The gear driving and driven wear on the case was way out of spec.

This is why I love these forums and fellow Tuners. Thanks for your input, more money shall be thrown into the beast.

Just want to add, a new ACL pump runs about $125 new on eBay =)

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back