The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Using a 3g shifter with shift buttons

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I havent seen anyone talk about this. However if your using the 3g shifter, then this is a decent option to have. It doesn't change the way the shifter operates. Im assuming you have the working shifter installed already. If not here is a good thread that I followed.

Now what I did is make a splitter. The splitter will need to be a 3 way. One end will go to the shift box (for me purple wire). Im using a forced four shift box. The other end will go to the 3g shifter. The last end will go to the shift button on the steering wheel. You'll need a second splitter for the other shift button. The shift box wire for me was white with purple. Again, one goes to the button, one goes to the shifter. The last will got to shift box.

The steering wheel kit I got was from motion raceworks. You'll need to run the black wires on the buttons to ground. I also drilled into my wheel to install the bracket to install the bracket. I ran the cables under the steering wheel and above the kick panel.

Before you had to put the shifter in manual mode to shift up and down. These buttons will allow you to be in Drive and still shift.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I like the buttons on the wheel also. I have a 3g shifter but don't use it. I found out that after I mounted the buttons, I don't use the shifter for anything except going to Park or Reverse. :thumb:
I like the wheel, nice!

I like the buttons on the wheel also. I have a 3g shifter but don't use it. I found out that after I mounted the buttons, I don't use the shifter for anything except going to Park or Reverse. :thumb:
I like the wheel, nice!
I'm kind of mad because when I drilled the whole for the bracket, the rear of the steering wheel didn't have enough clearance to use the nuts on the backside. So I had to redrill. Now I got these holes there. LOL. Gives me the chance to look for the black Evo wheel. I just got to find what model their in.

If you struggle for a black wheel i got one stored in the garage. I bought it years ago thinking i was going to swap to a black one but never did. They come from the MR Evo 8 models and up i think from memory

I'm kind of mad because when I drilled the whole for the bracket, the rear of the steering wheel didn't have enough clearance to use the nuts on the backside. So I had to redrill. Now I got these holes there. LOL. Gives me the chance to look for the black Evo wheel. I just got to find what model their in.
You can find the black Evo wheel from the USDM 2006 models. At least the RS, MR, and SE.

You can find the black Evo wheel from the USDM 2006 models. At least the RS, MR, and SE.
Thanks for the specific info. I checked ebay quick and all I found was wheels that were flat on the bottom. I know I payed 200 for mine with the airbag. Its not perfect but definitely functional. Ill have to look some more to see how much they go for.

If you struggle for a black wheel i got one stored in the garage. I bought it years ago thinking i was going to swap to a black one but never did. They come from the MR Evo 8 models and up i think from memory
I would be interested in that when work starts getting busy again. I got to see how much these go for. What wheel did you decide to go with since your not going to use the black one?

Thanks for the specific info. I checked ebay quick and all I found was wheels that were flat on the bottom. I know I payed 200 for mine with the airbag. Its not perfect but definitely functional. Ill have to look some more to see how much they go for.

I would be interested in that when work starts getting busy again. I got to see how much these go for. What wheel did you decide to go with since your not going to use the black one?
Oh i have a custom wheels now as i use paddle shifters also. I had a driven wheel customized. I started off with the normal silver evo wheel at first.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back