The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

Using 4G63 Cam gears on DOHC 4G64 Hybrid

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TurboTims

Probationary Member
May 22, 2011
Minneapolis, Minnesota
I tried to find the actual setting but cant find them anywhere. Just wondering how I should advance or retard my adjustable sprockets if I timed the car like stock. Its a 4g64 block with 4G63 head

With 4g63 cam gears you will want to advance timing half a tooth on both cam gears (see pic below). Keep in mind this will get you in the ballpark and some degreeing might still be necessary.

You will also want to use the DOHC 4g64 timing belt (1994 Galant GS). You can make the 4g63 belt work with some modification to the tensioner arm, but I wouldn't recommend it. A Gates belt from Oreilly's would be a great choice. Gates 4g64 DOHC Belt

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Ok, bring this back up. I have read all the posts and saw all the picts about setting cam gears on a 4g64 w/4g63 head. I had stock 4g64 gears on my 4g64/4g63 engine. With both cam alignment dowels at 12 o'clock in relation to the head deck. Now I am putting on a set of AEM TruTime adj gears. With the dowels at 12 o'clock on the AEM gears the 4g63 timing marks line up. So, what I have is the 4g64 gears do not line up straight on the 4g63 head. What is the difference in the 4g64 head vs the 4g63 head? Now I know the difference in the belts, I have a 4g64 belt, but I have not got that far yet, still working on the cam gears. Here are some picts of what I am working on.

Attachments

• 4g64 cam gears.JPG
    4g64 cam gears.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 862
  • 4g64 adj cam gears.JPG
    4g64 adj cam gears.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 623
I’m going to revive this thread and hope for a response.

I have a G4CS block with a 4G63 head. I think my timing is off. With adjustable cam gears, I just line the lines up like normal, then retard both the intake and exhaust 3.5*?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back