The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G Used clutch advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babyviper

20+ Year Contributor
Feb 12, 2003
Mays Landing, New_Jersey
So my motor blew up in October and the engine is almost completely rebuilt. My next order of parts will be my turbo and a something for a clutch. I need some advice on what to do before I place my next order. The car came with a 7-bolt and I am switching over to a 6-bolt so at the bare minimum I have to swap out the flywheel. If I kept the 7-bolt in the car I would just slap the same one back in there but that's not the case. The clutch setup I have now is a competition clutch stage 4 un-sprung 6-puck, a competition clutch chromoly flywheel along with their TOB and clutch fork. The setup has just under 1000 miles on it, around 400 break-in miles, some dyno time lots of highway miles a few random launches. Should I buy a brand new clutch and flywheel or can I get away with just buying a new flywheel and not resurface the pressure-plate.

BTW: I'll be swapping the transmission out before the end of the year for a rebuild. It wont last long with a 35r in front of it.

What does the PP surface and clutch disc look like? Nearly new? If you're swapping out the tranny in the near future anyway I would just reuse the clutch. I would rough the surface up by hand with 100-150 grit sandpaper to get rid of the glaze and make sure to clean it real good with brake cleaner. Same thing with the PP. Don't go ape sh_t, just enough that is a fresh surface with no glazing. I've done that to a 6 puck before, it's pretty hard material and your not gonna remove much by hand!!!

I'd get a new OEM TOB while I was placing an order! I've heard horror stories about non-OEM ones. $35 is cheap insurance.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back