The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

USA always pay before fill?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LumpyVR4

Supporting Member
May 21, 2014
Sydney, Australia
Don't know how the subject came up, but as you may or may not know in the land down under we fill up at the pump and then go in and pay for fuel. Yes there are drive offs, but with cameras now they just call the cops and report the plate.
I was wondering if the states has always been pay first or was it pump first at some point, but that system got ruined the thieving scum?

I've always lived in Minnesota. When I was a kid (1960-70's) it was always fill up and then go in and pay, everywhere in the USA. Then with more and more thievery, depending on where you were in the USA, you'd have to go in and either give them your credit card (CC) or give them more cash than you were going to pump in gas (and then return for your card or change) - so always 2 trips. After that in some higher crime areas (where the attendant was behind barred bullit proof glass) you'd have to go in first and they started making you "guess" at how much gas you were going to pump, give them that exact amount of cash in advance (or CC), and they would set the pump so that's the maximum amount of gas it would pump and shut off - really stupid since you'd never knew how much you needed to fill the tank, so you'd never get a full tank. Finally pumps that accepted CC's started appearing everywhere ("Pay at the Pump"), so now in the last 10-20 years, you put your CC in the pump and pump as much gas as you want and it automatically got put on your CC immediately. You can sometimes still go in and pay after pumping but only in the daytime and only at a very few places here in Minnesota but they are disappearing (and have never been at the coasts). Nearly everything now is CC at the pump before pumping (or go in and pay cash first for the exact amount it will be setup to pump so you don't have to return, or pay way more cash first and return for your change when done). Some places here accept a $0.03-$0.05/gallon off receipt you get at certain grocery stores but then you must go in to pay (which IMO is too much bother at places where you have to go in first, pump, go in again to redeem the coupon).

Last edited:
Another factor was the disappearance of full service gas. The attendant was there keeping a watchful eye, once it was just a lone high schooler at the mega pump high volume convenience store register, and before cameras were available, drive offs were suddenly easier. Bye bye pay after fill.

And we had these things called Green Stamps! And then glasses. And then steak knives.

There is only one service station in my home town that is full service. I don`t know of any station where you need to pay in advance...you fill and then pay or pay and then fill..your choice .. I live on the US/Canada boarder between Port Huron USA and Sarnia Ontario Canada

I live in a town of almost 10k. I can pull up and normally fill up at most stations here. If it is late or someone new in one of the stores, I might have to go in and pre-pay. We also have 2 full service stations.....(well not like it use to be, check oil, air filter etc) that pump it for you and you just pay when they are done and for the same price as the pump yourself stations.
I am lucky!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back