The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

US Versus Euro 92GSX help with differences

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fallensun

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 21, 2003
San sebastian, Europe
I am looking to buy a 92GSX else in Europe or USA.
The fact is, that I need to know if both cars are the same or not. (I already know that the 2nd Gen at USA was not the same that 2nd Gen at EURO as a result of having the 420A in US GS cars).

All the turbo(1g and 2g) dsm's in europe are USDM models. None have been officially imported to europe by mitsubishi. So all are brought from states by private person or some smaller import business. Only 1gen n/a and 2gen n/a models have been brought to europe by mitsubishi.(1g having 110kW 4g63 and 2g having 107kW 4g63)

So the answer to your questions:
Yes, all GSX cars in europe are 100% identical to those that are in USA, cause they are USDM models.

Need to know more? :thumb:

:thumb: I need to know more!
So you are saying that a European 2.gen Turbo Eclipse would be an Import and not EDM(I am in Europe)? Because, I am looking at ads and most 2. gens are 2.0 non-turbo GS or RS models, but occasionally the turbo GST, RS-T and even AWD Eclipses can be found.

I have asked this before, but is the EDM 2.gen GS 2.0 NT 4G63 the same engine as the 4G63 Turbo found in the 2. gens worldwide?

So you are saying that a European 2.gen Turbo Eclipse would be an Import and not EDM(I am in Europe)?
Yeah, all turbo models(GS-T and GSX) are USDM in europe. EDM's are still imports, cause they are all built and manufactured in same factory in US. Just made with some small differences to EDM model.

I am looking at ads and most 2. gens are 2.0 non-turbo GS or RS models, but occasionally the turbo GST, RS-T and even AWD Eclipses can be found.
Yeah, i have noticed the same. Turbo models are really rare in europe. This is because they have never been imported by mitsubishi, only brought by single persons or some small import business as I mentioned earlier.

So All GS-T / GSX eclipses you see on sale, are USDM. If you see RS-T in the add, it's most likely RS model(also USDM) with 420a engine that has aftermarket turbo installed. Cause there is no such model as RS-T :cool:

Any more questions ? (I also live in europe :thumb: )

Yes, well, the small differences make it an EDM:thumb: and not an USDM, but my main question still remains unanswered:

Is the EDM 2.gen GS 2.0 N/T 4G63 the same engine as the 4G63 Turbo found in the 2. gens worldwide? Or is it like a 1. gen 4G63 and if so, how is it different? OMG

Ofcourse it's not same engine cause GS-T and GSX has turbo LOL :D

Does these help:

EDM 2g has a 7bolt 4g63 dohc engine with 107kW.
- Same block/head/intake manifold than turbo models.
- Has oil squirters.
- Different from turbo are the normal stuff that is difference between n/a and turbo(pistons,ecu,injectors....etc..)

EDM 1g 90-92(first half) are 6bolt 4g63 doch engine with 110kW.
- Has oil squirters.
- Different from turbo are the normal stuff that is difference between n/a and turbo(pistons,ecu,injectors....etc..)

EDM 1g 92(end of the year)-94 are 7bolt 4g63 dohc engine with 110kW.
- Has oil squirters.

Still need info? Tell me more specific what differences you seek?

By my side it's ok. Thank you for the info ;)

Now I can look for a 92 GSX :D

Fallensun, sorry, for busting into your thread like this. :coy:

Teme, thanks for the info. It's just what I needed. So, in general, if owning a EDM 2g 7bolt 4g63, one could bolt-on the turbo stuff (pistons,ecu,injectors....etc..) and everything should work fine. Or, even better, aftermarket "improved" turbo stuff could be used to go even further in performance. :sneaky:

Sorry, for the noob posts, but coming from the non turbo world of V-Tec worshipers, asking about a car which is very much different EDM than USDM or JDM, this is pretty much the only place I could hope to get some good feedback. :thumb:

Is there a thread about EDM/USDM/JDM trim differences or GS/GST/GSX trim differences?
For example in Honda Preludes, the differences go from different head-lights to manual Vs. digital AC controls. WTF

My current plan is to buy a EDM 2.0 GS with AC and get it to a decent condition. After that I will look for ways to improve it, be it via transplants from GST/GSX models or other market models. Aftermarket will probably come as an option for a summer body kit, wheels and audio, but for tuning, I would prefer to go with stock :dsm: parts.

Basicly EDM models are just like USDM models, really small differences.

I will list here differences that comes to my mind and what i know:

1g edm 4g63 2.0 dohc n/a is different to usdm 4g63 2.0 dohc n/a following way:
- EDM has 110kW where the USDM has ab.100kW
- EDM engine has 10.4:1 compression ratio, when USDM has 9.0:1.
- EDM has F5M31 tranny as the USDM has F5M22
- EDM has popup lights 90-94 as the USDM 90-92(93-94 normal headlights)
- EDM has different style bumbers than most the USDM models(think the EDM style bumbers are in earliest models of USDM eclipse's)
- EDM models have manual seatbelts when the USDM have automatic
- EDM 4g63 n/a block has oil squirtes when the USDM doesn't have.
- EDM model has long distance extra lights in the front bumber as the USDM model has fog lights.
- EDM mirrors are slightly different kind than the USDM
- EDM has km/h meter as USDM mph
- EDM 4g63 n/a engine has knock sensor as the UDSM doesn't have
- EDM has 275cc injectors as the USDM has 240cc(if i remember correctly)
- Rear lights are different(blinks are orange instead of red)

From what does the EDM model get the extra 10kW? That i'm not sure, could be just different fuel map in ecu + bigger injectors. Cams should be the same. Compression ratio is the same.

So how is EDM 2gen 4g63 engine different from 7bolt 1gen EDM 4g63 engine?
- 107kW instead of 110kW
- Exhaust manifold slightly different
- Intake pipe slightly different with MAFS normal 2gen model.
- ODBII system? Not sure yet, this will confirm when someone at our dsm club will test their 2g edm for the diagnostic port.

EDM 2g eclipse also has different style mirrors than usdm, and rear lights have orange blinkers. And all models have low wing, none have the bigger 97-99 eclipse wing.

Here's all differences that came to my mind for now. (boring @ work at the moment :D )

:thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back