The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Upgrading a Pte 6266

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SasaniFab

Proven Member
Dec 1, 2013
Mexico, Connecticut
A few years back I purchased a 6266 dbb turbo , I’ve been creeping up to 40psi and I’m starting to wonder if it’s time for a new turbo. I don’t like pushing things to their max if I don’t have too. I was thinking that it may be possible to upgrade this turbo to a 6466 of even the 6766. Im waiting to hear back from precision. Has anyone heard of doing such a thing or have any personal experience with this ?

Precision isn't going to upgrade anything but they'll gladly sell you a new turbo...or if they're willing to do the upgrade it'll cost as much as buying a new turbo by the time they get done replacing everything except the turbine housing.

Don't consider the 6766 unless you're ready to start at around 40psi...the trim of that wheel is very high and the 7.7mm tip height demands a ton of boost to move air on a small-displacement application...so at lower boost you'll gain nothing but lag and possibly even make less power. The 6466 is probably a better option, but your best move would be to sell what you have and buy what you want unless there's something wrong with it. They're part of a publicly-owned corporation, they're not going to try to save a single part when tearing your turbo down for any reason.

Precision isn't going to upgrade anything but they'll gladly sell you a new turbo...or if they're willing to do the upgrade it'll cost as much as buying a new turbo by the time they get done replacing everything except the turbine housing. Don't consider the 6766 unless you're ready to start at around 40psi...the trim of that wheel is very high and the 7.7mm tip height demands a ton of boost to move air on a small-displacement application...so at lower boost you'll gain nothing but lag and possibly even make less power. The 6466 is probably a better option, but your best move would be to sell what you have and buy what you want unless there's something wrong with it. They're part of a publicly-owned corporation, they're not going to try to save a single part when tearing your turbo down for any reason.
I’m was considering the super 99 if I can find one . The 6466 is nice , I just feel like I’m going to be pissed because that turbo is not far off from the 6266. The turbo I have is in perfect shape , I’ll probably end up selling it.

Last edited:
So just to recap, on August 15th you were at 28 psi with an inadequate fuel system and 9 days later you’re sick of 40 psi? These cars are not rewarding of this type of mentality especially at the numbers that turbo makes at that boost level. It’s unfortunate, but you will have to do quite a bit of digging to find the info you are looking for. The 62-67mm jump territory seems to be where most dsmers fall off because there is not as much information readily available for those kind of power levels. You can find thread after thread about precision 62’s and hx40’s but there’s a select few still hanging around the forums who are both knowledgable and experienced with 67+ sized turbos because that market is more for competitive racing where people won’t just jump on here and explain how their dual injector setups work and how they’re winning races. I hope this post doesn’t seem like an attack, it’s more of a “let’s make sure we have a good understanding of the situation” post. I myself spent several years in the 62mm territory and still can’t figure out where I would like to go next.

I’m was considering the super 99 if I can find one . The 6466 is nice , I just feel like I’m going to be pissed because that turbo is not far off from the 6266. The turbo I have is in perfect shape , I’ll probably end up selling it.
The Super 99 is a 72/99mm turbo that is no longer in production; replaced by the Xona 105•68. If you find a Super 99 and it fails, you're screwed. You'll also need to be able to run about as much boost as that thing can give you, and if you're not shifting at 9500-9800 you're wasting precious time and money.

If your 6266 isn't the Gen 2 (7-blade compressor) there's probably more between what you have and a 6466 than you realize.
The 62-67mm jump territory seems to be where most dsmers fall off because there is not as much information readily available for those kind of power levels.
Having gone from a 60mm HX40 to a 66mm HX40 to a Super 99 to a Batmowheel S475 to a Forced Inductions S480, I definitely agree with this. The car and driver definitely worked better together on the smaller 60-66mm turbos than it did on the S480 despite logging around 116-118 lb/min at 55-58psi.

The T3 .85 Super 99 was probably the best setup but it was fighting exhaust restriction terribly and was donezo at 46psi and somewhere in the 90-92 lb/min range; made a best of 878whp on a Mustang dyno with the wastegate clamped shut at 100% duty and drive pressure off the charts. Despite the setbacks, it was the most-successful setup to have been on the car and earned some W's at various events running a best of 8.56 and consistent 8.6's. If that turbo came with about about a 72mm turbine option in a 1.06 T3 or similar v-band turbine housing we'd probably still be running it.

The Super 99 is a 72/99mm turbo that is no longer in production; replaced by the Xona 105•68. If you find one a Super 99 and it fails, you're screwed. You'll also need to be able to run about as much boost as that thing can give you, and if you're not shifting at 9500-9800 you're wasting precious time and money.

If your 6266 isn't the Gen 2 (7-blade compressor) there's probably more between what you have and a 6466 than you realize.
Having gone from a 60mm HX40 to a 66mm HX40 to a Super 99 to a Batmowheel S475 to a Forced Inductions S480, I definitely agree with this. The car and driver definitely worked better together on the smaller 60-66mm turbos than it did on the S480 despite logging around 116-118 lb/min at 55-58psi.

The T3 .85 Super 99 was probably the best setup but it was fighting exhaust restriction terribly and was donezo at 46psi and somewhere in the 90-92 lb/min range; made a best of 878whp on a Mustang dyno with the wastegate clamped shut at 100% duty and drive pressure off the charts. Despite the setbacks, it was the most-successful setup to have been on the car and earned some W's at various events running a best of 8.56 and consistent 8.6's. If that turbo came with about about a 72mm turbine option in a 1.06 T3 or similar v-band turbine housing we'd probably still be running it.
I have a gen 2 6266 , Id like the 6466 but I feel like it would be a waste , how much more will that actually provide me flow wise

So just to recap, on August 15th you were at 28 psi with an inadequate fuel system and 9 days later you’re sick of 40 psi? These cars are not rewarding of this type of mentality especially at the numbers that turbo makes at that boost level. It’s unfortunate, but you will have to do quite a bit of digging to find the info you are looking for. The 62-67mm jump territory seems to be where most dsmers fall off because there is not as much information readily available for those kind of power levels. You can find thread after thread about precision 62’s and hx40’s but there’s a select few still hanging around the forums who are both knowledgable and experienced with 67+ sized turbos because that market is more for competitive racing where people won’t just jump on here and explain how their dual injector setups work and how they’re winning races. I hope this post doesn’t seem like an attack, it’s more of a “let’s make sure we have a good understanding of the situation” post. I myself spent several years in the 62mm territory and still can’t figure out where I would like to go next.
I was at 28psi because one of my two fuel pumps came disconnected, I was at 100% duty cycle on one Walbro 255, I’m currently on dual pumps with 8an feed and return with 8 1650s. I’m in the process of sumping the stock tank for the magnaflow 750. At 34 psi I was logging 65lbs/ min, from my understanding the turbo is pushing it at 75lbs ... could be wrong. I’m currently over 70lbs / min.... I didn’t want to run the turbo on the edge of its efficiency.... that’s why I was considering the 6766. I don’t want to rev the engine out to 9500 however so I’m starting to think the 6466 might be a good compromise.

I have a gen 2 6266 , Id like the 6466 but I feel like it would be a waste , how much more will that actually provide me flow wise
There is no cut-and-dry answer to this. It depends how much boost you're running, supporting mods, displacement, rev limit, etc. The 64 wheel is bigger on both the inducer and exducer so it's not a simple trim change and will respond differently to different setups. You have to be careful you don't go too large or you can end up gaining more lag than you'll stand to gain in performance at the end of the map, or the power will be out of range where you typically drive the car and you'll hate it...there have been plenty of people who have went bigger and made less power- or at the very least upgraded, made more power, but the powerband wasn't where the driver needed it to be so it ended up going a few tenths slower at the track. It happens.

Just wait to hear back from Precision and let them sell you the right turbo- they have people on the payroll who (I'd hope) are capable of providing a suggestion which makes your decision easier or at the very least give you some information based on the results of other users and let you decide for yourself.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back