The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

upgrade turbo

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geno414

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 13, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Hey, i have been wanting to upgrade my turbo for a very long time i have all the mods to support it i have the 16g small and it's not cutting it it's maxed out at 20 pounds on my car i don't know what the trim on my 16g is i would like to know but i was looking at a bolt up and go turbo. not a t3 turbo but i didn't want it to big because i don't have speed density and don't know were to get that ether but i am still using my stock maf i have a 95 2g dsm . i saw this turbo but i don't know if its two big or not to hook up to the intake EXTREME PSI : Your #1 Source for In Stock Performance Parts i am not realy the guy who knows all about the turbos so shed some light ? thanks my goals are a dd and race hear and there but not at the track mostly dd.

That 2g maf will carry you well into big numbers. Dont worry about SD yet. Check out PTEs, they come mitsu flanged. If your going FP, i would choose the RED. Just my opinion. Ive got a pte 5858 and see 50lbs on stock 2g maf btw. But, if i had to do it over again? I would go all out, externally gated, pte 6266 or 6262(which can be a direct bolt on). Ive learned that unless its your DD, bigger is always better. You can make more power on 93 with a larger turbo before having to switch to e85.
Just do some research

do you have a web site were you bought your turbo and i was looking at the red one also but really didn't notice a difference . and ya its my DD LOL. just this little turbo isn't cutting it all it's doing is blowing hot air now.

Got mine at extremepsi. .63 a/r mitsu flanged. Undivided, internally gated with HD WG. T04E cover. Thats a 3" inlet vs the t04s(p?) which is 4". I chose journal bearning. I have just over 1k miles on mine, no problems so far. You will need to block off or cap water feed and return for turbo and get a new oil feed line and drain. No big deal really.

to big for my car mine is a dd.

arguable, holsets in bep .55 dsm housings spool quickly, not as fast as a 14b but quick none the less

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/turbo-system-tech/274459-holset-turbos-part-3-a.html

The bolton BEP housing (0.55 a/r) is enough to push the limit of the compressor. There's several 500whp 8blade hx35 cars out there with the bolt on housing. It reaches 20+psi by 3500rpms in 3rd with 272 cams. Smaller cams would equal a faster spool speed in most cases.

Would a td06h wheel be "to big for you car"?

Last edited:
An hx35 would b a great choice. It would most likely spool faster than the turbo im using. I can tell you that "lag" isnt THAT much of a hassle, even if it is a DD i would rather have plenty 'o power on tap with a big snail and accept the extra turbo lag.

arguable, holsets in bep .55 dsm housings spool quickly, not as fast as a 14b but quick none the less

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/tur...results-only-complete-installed-systems.html:

Would a td06h wheel be "to big for you car"?

the link didn't work. and i was looking for a turbo thats bolt up .

would a header with the wast gate mounted onto it be better then the wast gate mounted on the o2? because i can not fin a o2 that is 2.75 or 3" that has a wast gate on it and my down pipe is 3" right from the turbo.

this is what i am talking about but it is not 3" it's 2.5"

EXTREME PSI : Your #1 Source for In Stock Performance Parts

and what i saw was this for headers but don't know about it if it will fit in my car or if it will work good.

let me know.

the link didn't work. and i was looking for a turbo thats bolt up .

would a header with the wast gate mounted onto it be better then the wast gate mounted on the o2? because i can not fin a o2 that is 2.75 or 3" that has a wast gate on it and my down pipe is 3" right from the turbo.

this is what i am talking about but it is not 3" it's 2.5"

You wont see much of a difference in 3" and 2.5" that close to the turbo housing. FP used a 2.5 outet for the 30 and 35 housing, they even said on there website at one point, there wasn't a difference in dyno result when they used the 2.5 housing that bolted to the stock downpipe.

and what i saw was this for headers but don't know about it if it will fit in my car or if it will work good.

Yes it will work "good" the question is where do you want to place the wastegate? o2 housing or manifold.

let me know.

fixed link

And holsets are bolt on, with the proper housing:thumb:

What is your budget also? If it doesn't matter, the FP series turbos are perfect.

If it does, holset setup can be had around half the price of the FP turbos on sale.

Do you have link currently? Your profiles says you want it? What are you logs like? Are you really maxing out the 16g at 20 psi, or could you have a boost leak, a/f that is off, fuel cut etc. Dont take these questions as an insult, I am just curious to see if you setup is reaching full potential.

If you are looking for an upgrade form the 16g, you will probably need to buy a new set of injectors, larger ones at that. Since you are aiming for link, I would go big, 1000cc min, no reason not to.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-tuning-ecu/366003-injector-fuel-pump-supported-airflow.html
660cc @ 100% IDC will support 47.37lbs/min
660cc @ 80% IDC will support 37.90lbs/min

All in all since you profile says:
Engine Internals:
stage three porting 2.3 stoker eagle rods mahnly pistons balance shaft eliminator kit .20 bore fuel upgrades

I wouldnt worry about spool for a DD

Last edited by a moderator:
Spend some time researching turbo's so you can find one that matches your needs and expectations. I just purchased an externally gated 76HTA because I am hoping for 400whp on 90oct, probably need meth but oh well.

Idk why people love holsets so much on this site. Ya they're cheap but IMO that's where the pro's stop. They put out big numbers on the dyno but most of the time they dont back it up on the track. Plus if you want a bolt on holset you're going to have even more lag as well as limiting the turbo's potential. You could avoid that by simply not buying an old diesel turbo. My 2 cents is all. No offense to all the people running holsets.

fixed link

And holsets are bolt on, with the proper housing:thumb:

What is your budget also? If it doesn't matter, the FP series turbos are perfect.

If it does, holset setup can be had around half the price of the FP turbos on sale.

Do you have link currently? Your profiles says you want it? What are you logs like? Are you really maxing out the 16g at 20 psi, or could you have a boost leak, a/f that is off, fuel cut etc. Dont take these questions as an insult, I am just curious to see if you setup is reaching full potential.

If you are looking for an upgrade form the 16g, you will probably need to buy a new set of injectors, larger ones at that. Since you are aiming for link, I would go big, 1000cc min, no reason not to.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/art...03-injector-fuel-pump-supported-airflow.html:

All in all since you profile says:

I wouldn't worry about spool for a DD

i have link yes sorry i haven't had time to update my profile at all but i was looking at the fp one and i can just feel that my turbo is maxed out i haven't had time to install it but when i got my trans rebuilt by Tim zimer he said that i should get a bigger turbo and it just feels to lose its power when it hits the 20 pounds that i have it set at . i do not have a boost leak at all no spikes or anything and if i get a the green fp turbo i would have to get bigger injectors ?

i have link yes sorry i haven't had time to update my profile at all but i was looking at the fp one and i can just feel that my turbo is maxed out i haven't had time to install it but when i got my trans rebuilt by Tim zimer he said that i should get a bigger turbo and it just feels to lose its power when it hits the 20 pounds that i have it set at . i do not have a boost leak at all no spikes or anything and if i get a the green fp turbo i would have to get bigger injectors ?

If you go with a Green I would definitely get bigger injectors. Or go with the 76HTA since its 400 dollars cheaper;) coincidentally FIC has 1150cc injectors for $405 IIRC.

There are serveal FP turbos, all have info on the FP website. Most state what they flow, ie FP green 54lbs. You need injectors that will compensate for that much charged air. So your set of 660cc, which I quoted, as will hinder your turbo, reference the link I gave you and choose the correct injector size or larger.

660cc @ 100% IDC will support 47.37lbs/min
660cc @ 80% IDC will support 37.90lbs/min

the link above that I gave you on airflow will help you decide what injectors you need.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are serveal FP turbos, all have info on the FP website. Most state what they flow, ie FP green 54lbs. You need injectors that will compensate for that much charged air. So your set of 660cc, which I quoted, as will hinder your turbo, reference the link I gave you and choose the correct injector size or larger.

the link above that I gave you on airflow will help you decide what injectors you need.

it just keeps saying page not found . ?

sorry there was a ":" after the url.

its been fixed, all links fixed:thumb:

Dang looks like i need bigger injectors,
If i go with a bigger turbo because the amount of boost with the size of my injectors and the size of the turbo i have now is kinda maxed out injectors are maxed witch the pump won't flow as much as it says it is because of that and the turbo isn't happy with that but when I'm in boost i have AF of 10 but even that i would need bigger injectors for the turbo right ? about 1000cc ? or 1500cc ? because the turbo i want it has a flow rating of 54lb/min and is capable of producing upwards of 540hp. This journal bearing turbo is mated to an 8cm turbine housing that can be configured to run with an internal wastegate or external does that seam right ? I'm a noob with turbos sorry. :banghead:

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you are asking but yea that is the description for the FP Green. I would suggest FIC 1150 injectors to go with that.

Dang looks like i need bigger injectors,
If i go with a bigger turbo because the amount of boost with the size of my injectors and the size of the turbo i have now is kinda maxed out injectors are maxed witch the pump won't flow as much as it says it is because of that and the turbo isn't happy with that but when I'm in boost i have AF of 10 but even that i would need bigger injectors for the turbo right ? about 1000cc ? or 1500cc ? because the turbo i want it has a flow rating of 54lb/min and is capable of producing upwards of 540hp. This journal bearing turbo is mated to an 8cm turbine housing that can be configured to run with an internal wastegate or external does that seam right ? I'm a noob with turbos sorry. :banghead:

Yes it can be used with either an internal or external gate, however, the turbo costs more upfront with the internal gate. But in the long run, it's cheaper than the external route.

Keep in mind that, just because the turbo will flow enough air for 540 horsepower, doesn't mean you will get 540 horse power. Also, do you WANT all that torque going through your drive train?

I think a FP Green will do you well. It is a great pump gas, "fast" spooling turbo (especially with a 2.3L) that will get you some very impressive power. But remember, you don't have to go balls to the wall with it either.

All of my research that I did over the years lead me to the FP Green for my goals, though, if it were available at the time I bought my Green, I probably would have jumped for the 71HTA. (I would have sacrificed some power for faster spool)

I have not gotten a change to run my Green yet as I'm fighting a clutch issue, so I unfortunately cannot give you my impressions of the turbo yet. But if I get it resolved before the snow starts to fly, you're more than welcome to a ride in it since you live in the same area as I do:thumb:

BTW, I run FIC 950s and a rewired wally 255, and I am not worried about running out of fuel.

-Shawn

Yes it can be used with either an internal or external gate, however, the turbo costs more upfront with the internal gate. But in the long run, it's cheaper than the external route.

Keep in mind that, just because the turbo will flow enough air for 540 horsepower, doesn't mean you will get 540 horse power. Also, do you WANT all that torque going through your drive train?

I think a FP Green will do you well. It is a great pump gas, "fast" spooling turbo (especially with a 2.3L) that will get you some very impressive power. But remember, you don't have to go balls to the wall with it either.

All of my research that I did over the years lead me to the FP Green for my goals, though, if it were available at the time I bought my Green, I probably would have jumped for the 71HTA. (I would have sacrificed some power for faster spool)

I have not gotten a change to run my Green yet as I'm fighting a clutch issue, so I unfortunately cannot give you my impressions of the turbo yet. But if I get it resolved before the snow starts to fly, you're more than welcome to a ride in it since you live in the same area as I do:thumb:

BTW, I run FIC 950s and a rewired wally 255, and I am not worried about running out of fuel.

-Shawn

well i won't be running crazy boost with it if i get it like right now i have to run 20 psi to get the power i want with my set up it just doesn't give it much air but the green i would think it would i just don't want to buy new injectors LOL and ill take u up on that offer LOL not to Manny dsmers in wi around hear . i'm actually trying to find something with my windshield wipers they don't work but that's something totally different.

Well at only 20psi you're not out really maxing out your current turbo. Regardless of that, your current injectors don't leave you a lot of room to grow so you will more than likely have to upgrade those if you want to go bigger.

I'm just as confused as to how your 16g is "maxed out" at 20 psi haha.. I ran my little 14b that high for quite some time and she pulled like a champ.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back