The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Upgrade path for an old school noob.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSMSeifer

20+ Year Contributor
Jan 8, 2003
Bartlesville, Oklahoma
Well my mail man sold me a really nice 98 Tsi and now I face the prospects of getting back into the dsm scene after 12 years or so of my stuff collecting rust and dust.

The car is currently a fwd with full bolt ons and Chinese 16g and a rod knock.

That said in my collection of dsm stuff laying around is a stroker I built years ago I just tore down and inspected and reassembled getting it ready to go in the car. So my question becomes were to move forward from there.

Block is .020 over 4g63 with the 4g64 crank, eagle rods and weisco pistons.
Stock head with BC272 cams.
Tuning wise I have a black box ecu and cable or alternatively I have a virgin eprom I could socket act. Plus or minus the MafT and GM maf.

I have some 560s ready to drop in or some 660s and 720s that need a good cleaning.

I need to upgrade my fuel pump still.

Act 2600 street disc and Act streetlite flywheel.

I will be awd swapping it at some point I have all of the required parts.

Goals wise is where I tend to get fuzzy. More is always better and I'm not sure what enough power is but I haven't found it yet. I would like to start playing on the road course a few hours from where I live. So suspension and brakes are first on my list. From there is really where I need to figure out.

I have not kept up on what is current for dsm builds so anyone want to give me some suggestions of which topics I need to research again?

Last edited:
More is not always better for a road course, more so if it is a small track, you already have the base for a good , powerful engine.
Try to get true 16 g or similar but not chinese, use your eprom ecu and go with ecmlink, run speed density and run e85 if available,you can sell the injectors you have and get larger ones if you decide to go e85.
What type of racing is done at this track will change some parameters.
The no 1 thing I would add would be a roll cage and also would get front strut braces this 2 things will get you going. Road racing is not cheap and initial entry costs are high, but dont become a car builder and enjoy your baby steps.
Sus pension wise there are a miriad of options and your budget will guide you,
goes without saying to do your basic maintenance first.
GOOD LUCK
Mandy

The track is a 1.8 miles with 10 turns. I just want to go down on open days and play with my toy. I don't plan on being competitive in anything.

Strut bars and sway bars are already taken care of. I have been shopping around for a set of cool overs. Tien seems to have some decent looking entry stuff.

The crappy turbo for sure is on the chopping block. I have a Turbonetics cast manifold with external gate laying around I may look into something in that flange configuration.

Open track days are a lot of fun, this usage would change things, I am talking about strut braces, a member of this forum makes them and it should be one of the first things I would add.
Look at the track layout and see how many turns are left or right, this will tell you about mods to fuel and oil, and add new gauges and watch them closely.

Mandy

Hey, I am in a similar boat as you. I let my GSX sleep for almost 10 years before I started working on it again 2 years ago. A lot has changed as you will see. OEM parts are harder to find, but there is a ton more aftermarket. I would say my favorite update was Speed Density. No more maf, no more GM blow through, maf trans etc... I think your in the right direction but I would 100% look into getting into speed density. Much cleaner setup, easy to install and extreme psi sells a kit which can be done in an hour or so.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back