The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Untuned 1G

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dope96clipse

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 8, 2003
N.P., California
Alright so ive been driving my brothers 91 gst this week and his car is not tuned but will be soon, his setup is 660's with stock SMIC, turbo, 2.5in uicp an intake, K&N, "highflow cat", dualstage boost low 10 high 15, evo3 mani. and his cars runing way rich, hes getting it tuned here in the next week but my ? is, when the cars at operating temp and you come to a stop or let the rpm drop to idle it drops to like 400 an tries to die an sometimes it does, is this because its running so damn rich an needs to be tuned or would it be something else? thanks

What tuning device does he have and is the BOV vented to atmosphere?

WHat turbo is he running. I think 660s for a 14B is just a tad to big :confused: I think that big of an injector with no tunning device or compensation would cause pig rich and thats whats causing it to stall. not positive but pretty sure

my car does something similar. but instead when i turn the car on after sitting for a little bit(like 15-30 mins) it will start up @ like 750 rpm and then immediately drop to 400 or even die unless i give it some gas and keep it running. I have stock 450s and supra TT fuel pump. i havent really tuned it yet. Any ideas

DSM_GSX4life said:
my car does something similar. but instead when i turn the car on after sitting for a little bit(like 15-30 mins) it will start up @ like 750 rpm and then immediately drop to 400 or even die unless i give it some gas and keep it running. I have stock 450s and supra TT fuel pump. i havent really tuned it yet. Any ideas

Change your FIAV (or you could block it off if you live in warmer climates). Or you are venting your BOV to atmosphere without a MAFT, that would do it too. My problem was the FIAV. It stopped the problem you just mentioned, stopped my idle surge, steadied my idle and fixed the problem I had with the idle dropping when I turned on the AC (it's supposed to raise up about 50-100 RPM, not drop). :sneaky:

91 white tsi said:
WHat turbo is he running. I think 660s for a 14B is just a tad to big :confused: I think that big of an injector with no tunning device or compensation would cause pig rich and thats whats causing it to stall. not positive but pretty sure

Your right. Even 550's without a tuning device or compensation is bad. :nono: When I put in my 550's, I started the car before installation of my MAFT, the car wouldn't even run. I had to install the MAFt and lean it out big time.

ok ill try that. but what is it again. FIAV??? i feel like i newbie but oh well.

94EclipseGST said:
Change your FIAV (or you could block it off if you live in warmer climates). My problem was the FIAV. It stopped the problem you just mentioned, stopped my idle surge, steadied my idle and fixed the problem I had with the idle dropping when I turned on the AC (it's supposed to raise up about 50-100 RPM, not drop). :sneaky:

Steve,
The FIAV doesn't have anything to do with the AC idle up. Sounds like you did some work on the ISC too.

DSM_GSX4life,
Getting the car to idle well with 660's and no tuning might be part of the problem but the ISC needs to be working correctly and the BISS adjusted for the 750 rpm idle that the ECU is programmed for. If that car also have a big fuel pump the combination of too much injector and too much fuel pressure is going to drown it.

Steve

ok thanks. yea im still on the stock injectors for the moment. i just have a supra TT fuel pump. But i will take a look at the ISC and BISS. thanks

DSM_GSX4life said:
ok thanks. yea im still on the stock injectors for the moment. i just have a supra TT fuel pump.
The supra pump is a nice pump but it hammers the FPR just as bad as the walbro's do. For grins you should check your base fuel pressure.

Steve

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back