The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Unrelated to dsm

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dalesocks

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 29, 2011
sarasota, Florida
I know this is off topic but I have a question for some of you.

Has anyone had or know where to get an internship as a mechanical engineer for any car maker? I have been searching the net but have not found much info on any of this other than couple threads.

but your better off getting into school for it

I disagree and yes I have a degree in mechanical engineering. It's fine to get an internship but I would not limit yourself to just that career path. Or haven't you been paying attention to the economy and car market lately? If you wanted design then yes specialized schools will help. I didn't seek cars, not saying you couldn't I just wouldn't specialize in it. Network network network and do the internship while you're in school. Anybody would work. If for any reason you're romanticizing what a career in the automotive field would mean take a long hard look at it. Have you thought about looking at the websites of all the major manufacturers? Don't rule out any tier supplier. Tires, electronics, controls, chassis etc. Find the date of the SAE convention and attend. Make sure your resume is polished. Good way to get internships is at that single event. Formula SAE is a great idea also. No I do not work in the automotive field.

I disagree and yes I have a degree in mechanical engineering. It's fine to get an internship but I would not limit yourself to just that career path. Or haven't you been paying attention to the economy and car market lately? If you wanted design then yes specialized schools will help. I didn't seek cars, not saying you couldn't I just wouldn't specialize in it. Network network network and do the internship while you're in school. Anybody would work. If for any reason you're romanticizing what a career in the automotive field would mean take a long hard look at it. Have you thought about looking at the websites of all the major manufacturers? Don't rule out any tier supplier. Tires, electronics, controls, chassis etc. Find the date of the SAE convention and attend. Make sure your resume is polished. Good way to get internships is at that single event. Formula SAE is a great idea also. No I do not work in the automotive field.

Good piece of info, thank you.
And no I won't be limiting my self to just automotive, but mechanical engineering which is very broad.

U wanna stick to car engineering. mech is very broad. there were about 3-4 400 level courses in automotive tech mech engineering at UMD when i went there. You should probably be looking at lincoln tech or something like that. get working on cars done. then you will know why wee dont want any more ford or gm engineers. they make stuff so dam hard to get to...

Buy a non running old honda, get the manual and rebuild it.If it runs you know your in the right direction do alot of reading and studying and check out mechanic classes, this should get you on the right path to learn the skills.As a mechanic you won't learn that much unless you do hands on expserience imo.Good luck maybe you can work on my car some day.:thumb:

Mechanical Engineering is a broad field, let alone the automotive end of it. You're best bet is to specialize in one aspect i.e. engine and cooling, chassis and suspension, hvac, control systems, NVH, etc. and then relating it to automotive design. There is a lot more going on than people realize when it comes to vehicle engineering, you can be on the design side, production side, testing side, and everything in between, so just saying you want to be an ME is very generalized.

If you're serious about doing it, you're best bet is to start small with an OE supplier and move from there. The major players: Ford, GM, Chrysler, etc. take only the best - even when it comes to just a simple internship. They usually don't waste their time, even if you have a 3.3 GPA. Try contacting Morphius on here, I believe that he is an engineer with one of the Big 3 in Detroit. And remember, when it comes to the automotive industry, they are a very close knit bunch, so it becomes who you know, not what you know.

Easier to get an internship when going to school, a lot of schools will help you find an internship.

This.

Also, getting a degree in EE will help substaintially, since the industry will eventually go that direction.

I agree with this statement 100%. I've been in industry for a couple years now and this is completely true. Everyone is trying to integrate their systems to incorporate more electronics to get finer, more precise control and better efficiency from existing mechanical designs.

I'd hate to say it, but ME is a slowly dying field. Most of the breakthroughs are coming from either electronics or electronics integration. The problem is, though, EE isn't terribly interesting - at least to me. Control Theory isn't bad, but wave forms and convolution just aren't me. I prefer tangible things and ideas

Sadly I do not have any really good suggestions for finding an internship other that contacting whatever resources you have in school.

Also talk with people in the car clubs, the track, wherever you run into automotive interested people. Networking works.

Going for a engineering degree from a connected school is another way to improve your odds.

As you look at the classes you take for your chosen engineering discipline think about taking the advanced math and controls courses.

Cars are a huge set of control systems. Whether it is controlling the suspension to keep the tires on the road, minimize the fuel used, advanced valve control or the climate control.

These are all electro - mechanical systems. The design and test can be from either discipline.

Buy a non running old honda, get the manual and rebuild it.If it runs you know your in the right direction do alot of reading and studying and check out mechanic classes, this should get you on the right path to learn the skills.As a mechanic you won't learn that much unless you do hands on expserience imo.Good luck maybe you can work on my car some day.:thumb:

The issue is to get an intern ship, not being a mechanic. I do my own work on all my cars, I know how they work. For the most part.

Thank you all for the advice. I am not starting as an automotive engineer, my major is mechanical engineer, but I rather work on cars with that degree than do some other random thing that I probably won't like but then again might end up doing it any ways. Is just hard finding a job as an engineer in the automotive field.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back