The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Uhm ...?? Oil in coolant, like alot.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitsukid02

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 29, 2011
Boston, Massachusetts
I have like alot of oil in my reservoir, its all.sludge and black. I have pics but tapeatalk said security error I can't upload? U need to see it, im.not sure at all.how oil can get.into the coolant? I have no running issues at all

you need to take the head off and send it to get inspected and repaired.
also you need to do a compleate timing job.
your car over heated at some point, so you will need to the necessary repairs.
If you plan on keeping the car this will be the perfect time to upgrade the valve train.

The motor only has 1200 miles on it, its a fully built 6 bolt and the car has a copper headgasket. I don't think its a head gasket, no smoke or driving problems

even without the smoke it could still be the head gasket.. sounds like your head gasket has gone out.. its letting oil into the cooling jackets of the block.. or like said your head could be cracked... if you havent overheated it though I would lean to the head gasket more.. but you need to clean the block out regardless a their is oil in the coolant jackets and in the block..

It might be new but nothing is guaranteed you know.. brand new batteries, alternators starters go out.. just happens once in awhile..

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I think oil is getting in from another way besides the head gasket,I do notice a leak in the timing area, oil leak near the filter housing maybe the oil pump or relive valve? Idk, car runs and drives like a champ any ideas?

with that mcuh oil.. WOW if your not leaken oil from the top taht you can see out of the head... you might have a jacked ehad or even the block is shot.. might have a hole from the inside.. you need to pull that bad boy and look it over... if i was closer id help ya..

its really not gonna smoke much if its oil getting into the coolant as the coolant doesnt burn.. the only think i can think of is that a coolant jacket wall has busted.. i could be wrong but thats what it looks like to me...is there any collant in your oil at all?

God dammit, there's oil coming out between headgasket and head.
. Should I send to machine?

The easiest thing to check is the oil cooler, which only one person previously has suggested.

I bet it's your oil cooler.

I'm going to agree with the above statement and if nothing else its free to check. At any rate go ahead and check your watercooled oil filter housing to see if its leaking internally. The higher pressure oil might be making its way into the coolant. Any recent oil changes and possibly someone got a little crazy with the oil filter?

The easiest place for oil to mix in with coolant is the oil cooler. Especially if you tighten your oil filter down too tight. I am guessing you've been boosting quite a bit too?

If your cooler is not completely done for then try flushing coolant system, top oil off, and drive the car for a while without boosting. You shouldn't have very much oil in your coolant then.

I had this issue a few years back and thought it was something major, turned out it was simple. But it took alot of trial and error of blowing upper radiator hoses apart and adding oil all the time, and flushing coolant a few times, etc... It was fun to find being my first car and not knowing much at all. (still don't LOL)

Ok here's the run down on the filter. Went to do a filter and oil change, noticed the filter on the housing was bigger than what I bought, but figured since I had the filter for a 97 gsx ill go ahead and put it on. I then noticed less surface area so I cranked on the filter to hope it wouldn't leak... how do I check for damage?

The gasket mating is mainly what matters for an oil filter. It sounds like you maybe got a 1g filter. I wouldn't even know how to begin to check that for leaks, but I'd bet it is evident right when you take off the filter.

So I should.pull off the filter, and the oil.filter housing? How do I check for damage?? Also I should mention I have no coolant in my oil.according to my dipstick and valve cover, if it was a head gasket wouldn't the car be constantly over heating?

No need to pull the filter housing, just the filter and cooler. Even if the headgasket has a leak between an oil and coolant passage, that doesn't mean it's leaking compression.

No coolant in the oil, and it looks like copper to me its deff metal and cometic makes this gasket

Will do, im pulling off the oil filter in about an hour, what do I need to look for if I damaged the cooler? What part is the cooler??

Did you have the block and head decked before running the MLS headgasket? I know that not having it decked correctly and using the multi layered gaskets can sometimes cause issues.

I belive all the machining was done prior to hg install

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back