The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Type-S Lower Nipple Source

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doubleclutch

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 26, 2009
Canton, Michigan
I am hooking up my knock off Greddy type-s and I am trying to find a good source for the lower nipple. I understand the lower nipple hookup "isn't needed", but I am not entirely fond of how it operates with the lower nipple open. Also, the lower nipple being open can create a small amount of un-metered air being drawn in. I want to test it before i cut a hole in my nice hard piping.

My options are:
- T into wastegate/boost control line
- already tested that the lower nipple will leak into the intake pipe (hence could also be a vaccuum leak if uncapped) when prressurized. If it leaks faster then the line from the compressor housing can fill it, it will cause my wastegate to be delayed opening = boost spike
- T into line running to EGR solenoid
- Is this pre-throttle body?
- will the EGR solenoid functioning mess with the performance of the BOV (i.e. the EGR leaks pressure at times when the BOV would need to see it/ the EGR allows the BOV to pull vacuum through the EGR valve.
- My thought would be to unh0ok the EGR just to see if I like how it operates if there is a consensus that it won't function right t'ed into the line

Thoughts?

Wouldn’t the source be the same as what you’d use for the 1g modded bov? I’m interested in the answer for this as well.

I do believe that you won’t want to tap into you wastegate line. It’s been years since I dealt with all this and am getting back into it again.

1g BOV has a hole drilled in the bottom of it that sees intake pipe pressure air. This is a nipple on a type S. I just don't want to drill into my intercooler piping if i end up not liking how it responds or go to a different BOV.

I’m not talk about the stock, unmodified bov. I’m talking about the mod where the hole on the bottom is plugged and a nipple is added that connects to the hat (above the diaphragm). I think this is still referred to the old dodge colt mod.

The Dodge mod essentially makes it like an open lower nipple type-s like i have now. It allows the port underneath to see atmospheric pressure instead of boost/vac.

If you connect the lower nipple to boost pressure you'll be making a boost leak. Only the upper chamber is sealed.

If you connect the lower nipple to boost pressure you'll be making a boost leak. Only the upper chamber is sealed.

Understood. However, it leaks back post MAF, so it should only make the turbo work a little harder. In theory, my BCS is a boost leak too.

If you did your job correctly this is how the valve should look like- now pressure from the upper intercooler line cannot reach the lower port in the BOV. Installed on the Daytona with the new port open to atmospheric pressure this valve has held without leaking at 30 psi! And the best part is if I want the BOV to be "quick releasing" again (that's the whole point of having that port in the base of the valve from the factory) its a simple matter of running a vacuum line from the turbochargers outlet nipple to the new port and viola'.

http://www.thedodgegarage.com/turbo_bov_mod.html

I’m not sure how you got the idea that it would create a boost leak.

So, I’m guessing that if these blow off valves are the same in where these vacuum lines lead, then it would be safe to assume that this would apply to both of them.

If you did your job correctly this is how the valve should look like- now pressure from the upper intercooler line cannot reach the lower port in the BOV. Installed on the Daytona with the new port open to atmospheric pressure this valve has held without leaking at 30 psi! And the best part is if I want the BOV to be "quick releasing" again (that's the whole point of having that port in the base of the valve from the factory) its a simple matter of running a vacuum line from the turbochargers outlet nipple to the new port and viola'.

http://www.thedodgegarage.com/turbo_bov_mod.html

I’m not sure how you got the idea that it would create a boost leak.

So, I’m guessing that if these blow off valves are the same in where these vacuum lines lead, then it would be safe to assume that this would apply to both of them.

He is right. On the 1g, the chamber is sealed. on the type s, the chamber will leak.

Derps... so, I just thought about my question and am wondering if maybe you hook up that lower nipple to your intake pipe like you would a catch can. Would that make any sense?

yeah, it is supposed to be hooked up to intercooler pipes. my problem is I would have to drill a hole in mine. I am looking for a source that wouldnt require that.

If you must, you can tee it on the same line as the compressor housing (before any boost controller or BCS)/wastegate. Make sure you do a BLT a little higher than your target boost after you hook it all up.

I can blow air through it so it def will leak boost.

I’m not talk about the stock, unmodified bov. I’m talking about the mod where the hole on the bottom is plugged and a nipple is added that connects to the hat (above the diaphragm). I think this is still referred to the old dodge colt mod.

So I see that what I posted here was wrong. My apologies.

As I mentioned earlier, it has been almost 10 years since I have been doing this.

For the lower nipple on the 1g(dodge garage/Gus mod) you want a pre throttle body pressure source.

I am actually looking at putting a mbc set at 15psi between a nipple on the TB and the lower nipple since I will most likely be boosting well above 21 psi.

I know that this is an old post but I did not want to leave this as it is with bad info.

Since being back, I have run across a lot of second hand knowledge or bad info like what I did previously.

Ah, ok. Thank you for that. So what do you do then? What’s that nipple for? Do you just hook up a vacuum line with a check valve?
Yea that should work and is how it is supposed to operate. Like others have said the lower chamber is to help with low throttle surge not to hold more boost. A check valve so boost can't get in and leak is how you deal with this.:applause:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back