The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Two catalytic converters???

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sotarts

20+ Year Contributor
Sep 30, 2002
Chicago, Illinois
Has anyone ever installed two catalytic converters, two high-flow 3", one right after the other? Anyone thought of this? What do you think? Do you think I'm retarded? :laugh:

well lets think logically, a which would be better, a regular 3" piping or a slightly constrictive cat, hmmm con constriction vs constriction, i think you can figure it out :thumb:

ps if im completly wrong im an idiot i know, if im right then forget what i just said :shhh:

Originally posted by stuffy1256
well lets think logically, a which would be better, a regular 3" piping or a slightly constrictive cat, hmmm con constriction vs constriction, i think you can figure it out :thumb:

ps if im completly wrong im an idiot i know, if im right then forget what i just said :shhh:

Um, the car needs to be emissions-legal, Einstein. WRX's have two catalytics. I'm not sure about STi's.

I guess I neglected to say it's a 14b with 3" exhaust. Two cats would probably provide me with enough restriction to ease lots of the creep.

I know it may retarded to a certain degree, but hey, it should work. No?

Originally posted by f4st
why
My dads truck has the same motor(4.6) and it has four cats to....one precat and cat for each bank of cylinders.

My 93 mustang had 4 cats also, 2 for each side. But they worked to varying degrees. I dont believe putting two cats inline will accomplish the same thing. I installed an aftermarket high flow cat from bushur on my Laser and had to have it e-checked and it passed with no problem. Just make sure your car is good and warmed up. Dont go to the emissions center with a cold car. Your car needs to be up to temp so all the systems are functional. Having two cats in my opinion is a waste of money and wont buy you anything.

I had a 96 Mustang GT. SIX cats. 3 on each bank. I still have that stock h-pipe with them on it sitting outside, everytime I look at it I cringe. My old RX-7 had 3.

Buddy of mine has a '95 mustang GT, i wanna say it has 4 cats

LS1's have 4 cats also... or is it 3?

I lot of newer cars have 2 small ones right near the head and another 1 or 2 further back in the exhauset.

If I wouldn't just put another cat there.. get a resonator. In my car I have a cat, then a dynomax muffler, then a borla at the very end. I is still a little too loud for me so I think I am going to replace the first muffler with a resonator and the second with a dynomax muffler.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back