The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Twisted axle splines

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TSITurbo95

Probationary Member
Oct 26, 2009
Ohio, Ohio
So upon my clutch swap, noticed the splines on my front axle were "twisted". . . Too much torque is what I am guessing? What else can cause it?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Retaining clip is there, and axle was tight in the tranny.

My brother broke his in his lebaron the other day. Same place as where yours is twisted. He thought his lsd broke because only one wheel was spinning.
I suggest replacing soon as possible. I "think" he did it with slicks.

Hold up a labaron with slicks? Any video?

Good thing you found it before the splines went into your trans case.

Its a turbo lebaron. I'll see if he has any vids. Its pretty quick and is a nice car. uses a water cooled intercooler. I "think" he has a 50trim garret turbo not certain though. I'll see if I can get some vids and pic and make a separate thread. It traps over 80mph in the 1/8th. Idk his latest speed. Weighs 3060#s By itself LOL.

The axles in both of those pics appear to be units from an autoparts store. If they in fact are, then that's your problem. Those cheap China made units always fail and I believe they are very dangerous due to the poor quality of the parts and metallurgy.

Find some original factory axles or get some from Raxles. Anything else sucks and can kill you.

I had a guy that ran the auto parts store axles and one broke in a way that locked his steering wheel to the right side. This happened when he was on the interstate and he was lucky that he didn't crash the car. I still can't understand how he was able to save it and not hit anything. Cheap axles are not worth it.

Jack

Jack, this was a OEM axle, not a cheap auto parts store one. . .

Hmm, that's strange because the cup in the pic doesn't look OEM to me at all. If it is OEM, then that's a very odd failure.

Yeah, ive never had to replace any axle until this one. I do find it odd. Happen to know a "possible" cause? And yes it was all the way in the tranny (that's NOT what she said)

No clue, always possible but somehow doubt it :/. Only one person had it before me, and it was an elderly lady. Only had 48k miles on it.

Aren't OEM cups are green? Maybe a previous owner maybe replaced the axles?

Bingo! That's 1 clue and the way the axle rusted seems to indicate an auto parts store unit to me. These cars are getting so old now who knows, just make sure you get an OEM one next time around and i would be willing to bet it never happens again. Oh, and when a parts store says it's OEM, it's not. They mean OEM replacement, not OEM quality or true OEM part.

I would take a close look at the diff inside the trans. It"s possible the shaft did some damage to the sun gear inside. Other than that, I would have no idea what else to look for.

Damn, Ive got new, non OEM axles in the front, and all because I didnt feel like cleaning up the good OE axles I had when I was restoring the car! Figured Id be ok since Im not putting down mad powa (Im going to be happy when Im putting down 450ish HP) and I dont have wheel hop on my launches:D. Silly me, now I think I should clean up those old bastards and put new boots and grease on em. Are the parts store specials prone to breaking even on stock, mildly driven cars as well, Jack??

Damn, Ive got new, non OEM axles in the front, and all because I didnt feel like cleaning up the good OE axles I had when I was restoring the car! Figured Id be ok since Im not putting down mad powa (Im going to be happy when Im putting down 450ish HP) and I dont have wheel hop on my launches:D. Silly me, now I think I should clean up those old bastards and put new boots and grease on em. Are the parts store specials prone to breaking even on stock, mildly driven cars as well, Jack??

Yes, they just fall apart internally.

Taking apart, inspecting, cleaning, rebooting and greasing the OEM axles is the best thing you could do.

Yes, they just fall apart internally.

Taking apart, inspecting, cleaning, rebooting and greasing the OEM axles is the best thing you could do.

Watch that statement, show me some evidence or at least some experience with some specifics first. Don't just throw around a blanket statement like that. Clearly, for the MOST part, OEM is the safest way to go. However, some parts brands are just find if not better/same quality parts. Its been proven a few times on this forum that Gates brand (some parts store brand) water pumps are the exact same as OEM, because thats where mitsu gets them. And in OEMs defense, look at autozone's alternators. They don't last at all (some come reman'd as lemons already in regards to the bearings) and they never produce the needed voltage/power/amps. In that case (and many others) OEM is better. Once again, look at brands like TIMKEN and GSP/Toughone. Timken comes from autozone and is one of the best bearings you can buy (like a wheel bearing/hub for instance...). Lastly, GSP/toughone is from Advance Auto and their axles are just fine, and many on tuners have beat on them with great experience and are lasting. In conclusion, OEM isn't always needed or the end-all-be-all best choice. That why there are RECALLS afterall right when OEM parts fail?

Don't make statements like that Jack:nono:

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/drivetrain-tech/463167-brands-places-avoid-when-buying-cv-axle.html

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back