The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Twin turbo? [Merged 11-6]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

You get more power out of a single turbo with a 4. Twin turbo is idal for 6's or 8's because they have two cylinder chambers and they create more exhaust flow. Like what was said up there, use that money for something else and sell them to your friend with the camero.

i fyou actually take the time to read the "longest post ever", then you'll see that it's way too much work and not really all that functional...are you just doing this because you thought you were going to be the first ever with a twin turbo 2G??

could you imagine the engine bay room you'll be using up when you do this...you'll be lucky to fit a zip tie under the hood when you're done...it's an all around bad idea...spen you time and money on something else...:dsm:

most supra TT owners switch to a single turbo setup. enuf said.

Whomever copy and pasted the "longest post eva", forgot to read the first part of this thread. The dude wanted a SEQUENTIAL twin setup, not the parallel twin setup as posted.

Still waiting to see if this "project" ever goes through.

Originally posted by GSX_RCR
Whomever copy and pasted the "longest post eva", forgot to read the first part of this thread. The dude wanted a SEQUENTIAL twin setup, not the parallel twin setup as posted.

Still waiting to see if this "project" ever goes through.

Nope, I read the whole thing. I just thought I'd post the experiences of someone who had done a "simple" non-sequential setup. I'm quite impressed and amazed that they actually did that. I also wanted to educate some people on the great resource that is the Talon Digest Archives. Most of the time, if you have a question, it has already been answered there, 5 years ago or more. ;)

To me, it seems the time and effort is just not even close to worth it.

I'll bet good money this sequential T25 never sees the light of day.
:thumb:

I could be wrong, but I think the older Lotus Esprit S4's were TT 4cyl's...maybe a single...I forget. Anyway, a sequential turbo setup is harder to make than most would think. Take the 3rd Gen RX-7s & MKIV Supras for example...the RX7's system is a nightmare of hoses & solenoids...the Supra's uses computer controlled stepper motors I believe. Either way most of the guys who go with single turbo's on those cars do it because they're power hungry (aren't we all?) & ease of setup. There are quite a few upgraded TT Supras & RX7's out there though & they do make great power & run just fine, but I think it's more a matter of preference (and $ too) that a lot of guys go single.

Originally posted by Seamus
95 talontsi's idea won't run sequential either, it will run parallel. I don't think he even understands a sequential system.

Actually, what he is thinking of doing is neither sequential nor parallel…

There are 3 ways of using two turbos:

-Parallel - two cylinders power each turbo and they both dump into the same Y tube, with roughly the same pressure (like 3000GT, 300ZX) .
-Sequential - four cylinders power both turbos, but at different times (typically you have small turbo at low RPMs and larger turbo at higher RPMs, which some overlap in-between). i.e. Supra or RX7.
-Serial – exhaust gases pass through both turbos at the same time, turbo A brings the boost to x psi then dumps it into the inlet the turbo B, which bring it up to additional y psi for a total result of x+y psi. This is rarely done in some really high boost applications.

But what he is proposing would be along the line of Serial concept, but on the EXHAUT side. If you know any thermodynamics you will see just how pointless that is. Turbo engines work by taking hot exhaust gases and sending them through the turbo in a process lowering the temperature 300-400 degrees.

So if you were to take exhaust gases from the first turbo, that gas will be VOID of energy required to power the second turbo… All of the major logistical issues aside, this is a flawed concept…

Leon
RR

The person who is building my car Kevin(owner of AGP TURBO), will be putting a sequential turbo setup on his Black GSX...he said it will be A HELL OF ALOT OF WORK!!!
But it will be awesome when he is done.

Originally posted by Tallen
most supra TT owners switch to a single turbo setup. enuf said.

And the ones cranking out the HUGE HUGE numbers are running twins. ;)

sorry I ment I wanted to go to serial turbo's (i think) but probably won't be doing in it, just cause I am building a motor, it was a wet dream but just taking another look there is not much space. Going to end up putting them on my friends camaro instead, that will be fun.

The fastest supra powere car the Venom Tundra runs HKS GT Twins, enuf said.

The reason most guys go single is because it makes huge power for 4 grand. For most regular supra owners 800HP and under you can do that with a single turbo. If you want more, most guys do go Twin however it's almost double the price of a single. (Read $10,000 for HKS GT Twins...)

So saying most supra owners go single turbo is from ecenomic reasons no because it's BETTER. It's NOT. Big HP supra motors have 2 turbos. Count em. 1 + 1 = 2. Yeah that's Twin.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Arn't they cute together?

True that, that's why the Supra twin turbo comparison is a bad one at that. The fact that they go single is for money was all I was saying.

Guys that say well the 3000GT and 300ZX and the Supra are all Twin turbo so im going to Twin turbo my B16 and it will work are stupid.

>So saying most supra owners go single turbo is from ecenomic
>reasons no because it's BETTER. It's NOT. Big HP supra motors have 2
>turbos. Count em. 1 + 1 = 2. Yeah that's Twin.

I think that he meant that Supras go from stock sequential turbo set-up to a single big turbo set-up as most popular performance upgrade (remember that the original poster thought that he was going to design a sequential turbo).

Besides, Supras are better suited for parallel turbo set-up because they have 3 cylinders to drive each turbo, where as DSM’s have only two, so they do not make a good case to twin turbocharge DSMs.

A local guy forwarded this link today. http://www.gopartstrader.com/cgi-bi...oday&website=default&session=3e10f5d41f121252

Now, I think that this is a complete waste of time and money, but that shows you how this can be gone…

Leon
RR

Repost

Check the hangout for the other thread on this.

my point is that all sequential setups use different sized turbos for the first and second turbos. using two turbos of te same size is retarded.

if you want to twin turbo it run it in parallel. 2 cylinders per turbo and 1 inlet. in series would involve all 4 cylinders powering both at once. (think of it in speaker terms). its not a bad idea especially if you have all your own resources, but think about the setup a little more because i believe a parallel setup will work best as opposed to a series (not serial) or a sequential.

GRNDSM - Yeah that is what im talking about. Going from stock sequential to big single. It's just cheap.

I did a single turbo on a Supra for a kid a T-76 and the parts for it are not really that bad, but it's all the extra stuff that adds up and kills you like all the Fuel system and large injectors etc etc. That's the killer. Even after your done it's like 8,000 bux for everything just to support a T-76 on a piggyback to make 600hp. If you wanna really turbo up the boost and make 800hp you need standalone and a whole piss pot of money for tuning.

your retarted why do sequential on the same turbo duhhhhhh.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back