The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Tweeter Install In A 2G

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jthomp

20+ Year Contributor
Oct 8, 2002
Carlisle, Pennsylvania
Does anyone out there in DSM land no of a link/faq to show how to install aftermarket tweeters into the factory tweeter location? Any help would be greatly appreciated...

If you're not using the factory amp, you'll need to wire them up. Factory, the front speakers are only powered out of the under-seat amp, and I don't get how the thing works.
As far as physically, to remove the factory tweets, just pry under the edge with a cloth-covered screwdriver (go easy on the dash pad), they're only held in by plastic clips molded into the edges. The grilles are one-piece with the speakers. It doesn't take much force to pop them out.

Yeah, seperate the little factory speaker from the grill to begin. Then, just come up with an innovative (ghetto) way to fasten your aftermarket tweeter to that gril. Drop the whole setup back in place and you're in business.

What I did with mine was stretched some black fabric over the entire grill, put the tweeter under the grill, pulled the fabric down and around the tweeter as well and then used a zip tie around it to hold it in place. This way the whole contraption is held together by the fabric. Sounds complicated, but it's actually it's very easy. I'll have to try and get some pics so you can better understand.

As he said, it's easy. The grills are held to the stock tweeters by integral tabs on the edges, which can be easily bent back so you can remove the grills Then you can just install them to your new tweeters. When I added new tweeters, they of course weren't the same diameter as the hole, and thus the grills didn't fit, so I had to cut some plastic circles to insert the new tweeters into, with the outer diameter just barely larger than the size of the original hole so the would just hang in the tweeter holes. I then just bent the grills around these.

Hmm, I wonder if that makes sense to anyone else :)

Or, go buy stock rs pods (because they did not get tweets, just coverings for the holes), and cut out the size of your tweet and drop them on top of the caps. It does not look cheesy or anything, that is how I mounted my mb quart tweets.
Chad
97 GSX

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back