The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Turbos

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyler Davis

5+ Year Contributor
Feb 18, 2019
Kenosha, Wisconsin
Hey guys I’m looking to make somewhere around 350-400 wheel HP on 93 on my Fwd 2G. I’ve kinda been contemplating a few different options

The plan is to go
1220cc Injectors
264/268 Kelfords
FP Mani
AFPR
1g Crushed BOV
ARP HS with Cometic HG

the problem I’m having is I have no clue what turbo to run. I’ve had all sorts of mixed opinions. Idk if the FP Red will spool too slow and be a dog getting off the line, but then I feel like a evo 3 16g is too small and I won’t have any top end. The car is a daily, so it will spend most of its time on the street, but I would love to also be able to squeak into the 11s in 1/4 which with FWD will be no easy task LOL. I’ve got a buddy with an evo x mr that is Boostin tuned at around 340whp and am also trying to give him a run

thanks

My evo 3 16g pulled like a freight train on e85, it was a totally different car compared to what it was on pump gas when I got it. The car woke up big time with the added timing, I think it’s a good turbo to learn on and probably one of the best most fun turbos for the street, I was also on stock cams when I had it.

Tyler,
A good old 20g is still a hard hitting dsm street turbo. It should be able to hit 400 to 450 horsepower. I am referring to the original "Buschur 20g". This means a td06h 20g compressor wheel and housing, td05h turbine when (7cm housing) with a 25 degree turbine clip. That was always a fun street turbo. People were able to run 10s with it long ago. There are of course newer options out there like the g series Garret stuff, PTE turbos, and of course multiple FP turbos.

Unless your head and block will be machined to 50RA or better I would recommend a composite head gasket over a MLS. For the turbo question is bolt on housing a requirement? If not there are many t3 options that spool almost as fast as a bolt on housing but will do much better on pump gas. I ran a Frankenstein level 3 20g back in the day then went to a 7 blade hx35 in bep .55 housing. It spooled hair faster then the 20g did and performed better.

Unless your head and block will be machined to 50RA or better I would recommend a composite head gasket over a MLS. For the turbo question is bolt on housing a requirement? If not there are many t3 options that spool almost as fast as a bolt on housing but will do much better on pump gas. I ran a Frankenstein level 3 20g back in the day then went to a 7 blade hx35 in bep .55 housing. It spooled hair faster then the 20g did and performed better.
I was just thinking as far as convenience to do a direct bolt on turbo, but it isn’t a requirement, I’ve just only really done research on direct bolt on turbos. And thanks for the recommendation on the composite I wasn’t even thinking about that, I don’t plan on running more than 18-25 lbs until I really do more work to the motor so as long as it can support that I’m all for it

Evo III 16G would be a much better choice than the FP Red...but you're skipping two fine candidates with either the 68HTA or 73HTA Green as well. The Green is basically a billet 20G by the wheel specs, and the 68HTA is similar to a 16G with a very efficient 18G compressor upgrade so spool won't suffer as much as it would with larger turbos.

Don’t forget that the T28 probably wouldn’t be a bad option either. From what I’ve read, with a decent tune, they can flow just as much as a big 16g, but don’t quote me on that exactly. I’m only considering one because it’s mainly a direct bolt on and the price is decent.

Don’t forget that the T28 probably wouldn’t be a bad option either. From what I’ve read, with a decent tune, they can flow just as much as a big 16g, but don’t quote me on that exactly. I’m only considering one because it’s mainly a direct bolt on and the price is decent.
The TB2578 (DSM T28) compressor is a 47.2/60mm wheel on a turbine that's smaller than the TD05H with a map that ends around 23psi. It most certainly does not flow as much as a Big 16G, nor would you want to push one that far beyond the map as the T2 bearing housing, thrust system, and journal bearings aren't designed to handle big boost and being over-driven like the MHI TD05H/TD06 parts can. The T2 turbos are closer in size to the MHI TD04 so this would be over-working a very small turbo which would inherently shorten the lifespan of the unit drastically.

The TB2578 is a mild upgrade that bolts directly in place of a stock TB2566 on 2G's...and that's literally it's only real benefit.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The TB2578 (DSM T28) compressor is a 47.2/60mm wheel on a turbine that's smaller than the TD05H with a map that ends around 23psi. It most certainly does not flow as much as a Big 16G, nor would you want to push one that far beyond the map as the T2 bearing housing, thrust system, and journal bearings aren't designed to handle big boost and being over-driven like the MHI TD05H/TD06 parts can. The T2 turbos are closer in size to the MHI TD04 so this would be over-working a very small turbo which would inherently shorten the lifespan of the unit drastically.

The TB2578 is a mild upgrade that bolts directly in place of a stock TB2566 on 2G's...and that's literally it's only real benefit.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
Thanks for the info bro.! I’m glad and thankful that you pointed us in the right direction.!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back