The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Turbos Leaking Oil I need help fast

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98GSXboosted

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 3, 2005
oxford, Massachusetts
I blew my 14 b turbo, so I installed my EVO III 16 G and i have a consistant oil leak coming from the oil J-Pipe that goes into the oil pan. The leak is on the turbo side. The leak is only when the car is running and mabey 5 minutes after i shut the car off. Any ideas?

Id double Check the Gaskets At the Oil Return. If you didnt replace them you can pretty much bank on getting 2 new ones and going from there. when in install mine i use a thin coat of RTV and spread it on with my finger to A. help seal it, B. to hold the sucker in place. But more then likely the gasket is the problem.

If thats not it then inspect the J-pipe for damage. i know that on a few rare cases ive seen when people try to use the 2G return on a 14B/16G they drill the holes to far in and it creates a small leak at the actual bolt hole.

-K

Yea I just dropped the oil return flex pipe and took out the gaskets, I do think that you are right about changing those. I never did change them, just RTV. I have called all the local dealers and part stores but no one carries those :( not a fun day.

you can get them from satan, or get them from a vendor. what I suggest is taking some simple green to both sides and wiping them down before installing the gaskets/drain. then go ahead and put a SMALL amount of RTV on the actual drain tube (both sides) and let it sit for 12 hrs or so. then go ahead and put the gasket over the RTV and bolt it up. bolt it up to proper torque specs (DO NOT overtorque) and you should have no problems with leaks :thumbs:

it may be too late for you, but ive found those gaskets from O'Reillys last time I needed them

Make sure you have:
a) Clean gasket mating surfaces at the turbo and at the oilpan
b) Solid gaskets
c) Torqued down the bolts enough (it doesn't take much, but this hardware is pretty solid, and mine leaked at the turbo until I gave the bolts another 1/2 turn)

I had mine installed by a mechanic, however when it was complete same thing, leaking at the turbo. I had new gaskets and everything. He ended up just putting a bunch of RTV on it to get me out of their. Six months later it started to leak again. Went to a different mechanic, and he told me the bolts he used to connect the J-pipe were too long. So as he torqued them down all he did was bust the head off. By the way the original mechanic said he used the same bolts that came off the 14b. Ended up having the turbo pulled and had to have the bolt extracted, and retapped...Just a thought but make sure your bolts arn't bottoming out in your turbo...;)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back