The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

Turbochargers.com EVO III GT 16g REVIEW

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsxtacy

20+ Year Contributor
Apr 29, 2002
Clovis, New_Mexico
I thought I would start a thread on this since it is SO unclear if this is really a good alternative to other similar sized turbos'.

I placed my order with Turbochargers.com on Tuesday morning around 9:00 am, and I recieved confirmation that my order would ship "same day" by 3:00 pm via email.

When I spoke with Tom @ turbochargers, he was knowledgable and helpful, and it felt like he cared about my order personally. I like that.

I purchased the 2G solution Kit, and it showed up Friday around noon. Upon recieving it I was like a kid at christmas (ready to tear the package apart to see the goodies). To my surprise the box was packed VERY well. The outside of the box said Texas Cheesecakes on it and when I first pulled back the tops of the box, it looked like someone had dropped about 5 cheesecakes on the top of some contents!!

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I will keep updating as I make progress with this, but this is meant to be as informative as I can be....I will not be installing this for a few days so if you want more detailed pics or have questions (pre-install) let me know.

I look forward to running this after having fond memories of my old FPbig28/stock manifold/SMIC.

I bought the Evo GT Manifold from Turbochargers also and I was very pleased with everything, from shipping to the product itself. I'm also very interested in how it goes with you as I will be purchasing either an MHI Evo 3 16g or an Evo GT 16g myself. Turbo looks great btw :thumb: Keep us updated.

Kelly,

Good luck with the install and keep us posted on how it goes.

Andy

When I ordered it, I was sort of miffed at the whole cheesecake box thing, not sure why. But it WAS packed in there well. It didn't get damaged in transit, although it took 10 minutes to get the damn thing out of the box. :)

It's a good turbo, I'm happy with it. Keep us informed.

So, how is the turbo going gsxtacy?

I guess no one but you guys cared about this update, so I guess I won't let the lonely few down.

The install went pretty smooth......

I had previously had a FPbig28 that I whacked the Elbow off of and discharging into the LIC pipe of the SSautoChrome 2G FMIC.

I installed the Turbochargers.com Evo III 16g GT while Wes Hess was rebuilding my Transmission, (pic 3 above) and we had to customize the j-pipe to correspond with the FMIC piping. Wasn't no biggie for a stepper like Wes, and the Turbo Kit was fully installed from start to finish in about 2.5 hours.

Full Boost (18 psi in my case) is all in by 3800 rpm, rock steady, no creep, maybe 1 psi of SPIKE due to the boost coming on SO HARD AND FAST.

Feels absolutely wonderful. Sounds like a GE F-100 engine while under WOT, and pulls harder than I thought it would.

I mean a defined difference between this Evo III 16 GT and my (3) previous FPBig28s'.
Since I do not have a AWD dyno within driving distance, I am going to guess and say the EVO III feels like 35 more Butt Dyno horses with no other changes over the FPbig28 same 18 psi vs 18 psi.:sneaky:

I would like to point out to everyone that is still on a T25, 14b, or FPbig28.........3" exhuast is not a recommendation, but more a STANDARD once you upgrade to a 16g.

I have been to the track (drove the car 120 miles one way-240 miles round trip) since the install and the results speak tons about this turbo given the mods my car HAD. (I say had because I am in the process of custom fabbing my own 3" turboback)

13.206 @ 103.7- 1/4
1.81 - 60'
8.4 @ 84 -1/8th

Full weight, pump gas, 2.5" exhaust, 18 psi.
Rest of my mods are in my profile.

My ACT 2100 is getting kinda tired and does not like to hold 10 psi/5500 rpm stutterbox launches (launched the 2100 over 100+ times since the install, street and track) anymore.

When I get the new ACT 2600 installed, 3" Turboback completed, and some race gas thrown in, I'll swoop back through and update AGAIN.

Enjoy, this is real world Turbochargers.com Evo III B16G GT feedback.

Did I mention the car ran that 13.2 without the BASE TIMING set either?

Stay tuned.

DAMNIT

Why the #### are you making me spend money when i dont even know you????

I had the feeling i would need a 3" exhaust when i throw on the EvoIII, and this just confirms it.

hopefully i can get a used N-1 from a local.

not only does that thing LOOK sweet...from what you're telling me...it pulls like a mf...im about to do my 14b swap this weekend and its going to be depressing knowing that i shoulda waited a little longer to get a E3...but its ok after this install it'll be direct bolt on...once i get the money for one LOL

awesome job...thx for the first update and ill be watching close for the second...my ultimate goal is to get one of those...support it nicely and run it @ 20 psi...see what kinda time i can get...keep us updated!

KP

Thanks everyone.

I also forgot to mention the elevation. I am at 4400 ft above sea level.

2000 miles?

I can get you detailed 5.1 mp pics tommorow, I have close to 3000 miles on the 6 bolt/transmission/E3B16GGT.

Also........another tid bit I left out of my review, but feel is valid enough to bring up.

IF YOU REPLACE YOUR stock OIL FEED LINE WITH THE ONE SUPPLIED IN THE KIT:

Make sure you secure it in a way that it cannot move/flex/lay anywhere near the alternator. :nono:

Mine somehow did (I know I ziptied it to the fan to prevent this...) and Arc'd on the pos'+ post of the Alternator. Upon doing so it created a pin hole leak. I happened to be about
4 blocks from home when I noticed white oil burning smoke coming from underneath my car....I booked it 3 more blocks and cut the ignition 4 houses before mine and coasted up to my curb.

I jumped out to check out what it could possibly be and instantly thought that the Fram Extra Gaurd oil filter I had put on 150 miles ago blew the o-ring :mad:

I removed the oil filter and found the oil feed line had a small burn mark and a massive oil trail.

Lesson learned?.......beware, it could have cost me MY whole build up. But didn't.:tease:

Like I said, stay tuned........lots of new stuff is on the way

Oh thanks for the update!!! :)

Really glad to know you still care about this. I'm looking into that turbo as I'd like to see how they pan out in the end.

WOW nice man!

I just bought this kit last week and am expecting it this week, the only difference is that I got the Evo 3 "non GT" and I have a crap automatic. Mind if I hijack your thread with pics and a review once its here? Anyway those times you posted are impressive, I have to get a 3" exhaust now.

Nice review thanks.

Do all 16g's have to be clocked like that where the inlet is facing upwards instead of down?

elfroggo said:
Nice review thanks.

Do all 16g's have to be clocked like that where the inlet is facing upwards instead of down?
Traditionally, yes. It's because if you reclock it the wastegate actuator loses its mount placement. It plausibly could be reclocked in conjunction with an external gate.

After talking to gsxtacy and the guys at turbochargers.com. I will be purchasing my "2g solution kit" with the EVO III GT tomorrow. It will be at my door on monday and installed on tuesday along with the ssautochrome fmic. I will also chime back with info on the kit and give updates as I build up miles on the turbo (with pics). Also keep us updated gsxtacy on your kit as you build up the miles. Good thread :thumb:

scottsee:

the TC.com deal is a very good one. However, if i could do it again i would have bought the 50Trim. Why?? cause 400 pump HP. thats why.

Thanks for providing personal evaluation on this, Kelly.

We do have a reveiws section of the board, I suggest everyone migrate there reviews there to avoid the BS.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back