The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Turbo Upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

20gst

20+ Year Contributor
Jan 5, 2003
Colorado_Springs_Colorado
Ok I got a HRC super 20g and I want something that hits harder, but still within this range of hp. The HRC 20g is pretty crazy in the upper rpm range, but other 16g turbos still kill me till 3rd gear.
Ok I found aTurbonetics TDO6 20g and a T3/T4 T04B, 60-1 stage 3 wheel 63 AR housing , or stage 2 T3/T4.
Ive no real knowledge about these, or know anyone who runs one on a dsm here. I want to know what would perform better for a SERIOUS street/strip bolt on. By the way I do have NX in the car and alot of mods already.
Can anyone tell me the pros and cons about any of these to help me choose a better upgrade.

why dont you try to tune your car before you considering upgrading to a bigger turbo. you should be kicking 16g's asses with that.

I think he is right you must be missing something I did a 12.3@112 with a super 16 G and had a lousy 1.8 60 ft. time what other mods have you done to support your turbo?:dsm:

Yeah I ran this HRC 20g and only did a 13.06@109 just with the upgrade and boost at 22psi w/93oct., and 255fp 625cc injectors on a Apexi Super AFC only, and 3''all out on 17''street tires. I only ran 2 passes that week after the upgrade. P.S) I also live in Colo. Springs CO. and we are way above sea level. So at sea level I would of put down a good 12.00-11.90 easy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No Im hitting 12.02 now as my best so far with this turbo, all my other runs last week were 12.40s all day. My 0 to60ft is best at 2.2 all the rest avarage 2.2-2.4. P.S.) 12.60 w/no SQUEEZE........So at sea level I could be as low as ?.
Ive added a MSD dis-2, NX-wet kit stage 1 w/purge.,35 shot., 6-AN braided line tank to rail, HKS 272/272 cams, ACT 2600 extreme clutch, B&M short shifter, 2.5 ICpiping, Blitz DD bov w/hard spring, Blitz sbc ID meter and boost controller linked up. 17 BFG drag t/a tires in front., EGT, and other minor stuff you know...
Im tuned in pretty good and understand the car alot more now. Never dynoed yet.
No I kill any 16g around here and in Denver aera easy !!!!!! But its true the 20g I have from HRC dont have good bottom at all. Plus these cams changed the whole ball game. I notice guys with the 16g I race with can pull a 1/2 car at first and hold it till I grab 3rd gear and I Then smoke by.
So I was kinda wondering about these turbos I posted about to see if they would be a better mach but still stay within my limits I have with the car. Thats all

Is the turbo holding you back? It sounds like you're spinning your tires harder than the 16G cars in first and second gear. But if you want a harder hitting turbo just replace the 10cm exhaust housing from your HRC 20G with a 8cm housing. That will help it spool up quicker, although it will hurt top end power a little. Exhaust housings are cheaper than whole turbos, and easy to change, so you can always swap it back if you don't like it.

What are your traps? Looking at your 60fts it looks like your hauling ass down the last 1/8 mile. Are you spinning alot? If so, a smaller housing will just get you spinning sooner. Maybe try a lsd or something. Get traction, then more power. FWD are a handful;)

Yes thats all I do is spin till third gear. Its hard to massage the gas peddal cus I loose my spool up real easy if you dont do it propper and the asphalt seems to be different every time.
I just got the BFG drag ta radials only 4 weeks old and now the wire is showing and they are bald. They help ok but no real cure you know. I wont buy em again. Ill invest in a true slick.
Yeah I squeeze in 3rd but never in 1st or 2ond. Im real impressed how the HRC pulls at high ranges, its really strong. Other than that I dont really like the turbo, Ive seen better 20gs That spool at all ranges better than mine.

I've raced quite a few larger turbo than my self.......
And I always get them until 4th, all do to spool.
I usually get a car and some on them befor their turbo's hit hard. Thats the price you pay for size, they step me out in 4th but, their shitting their pants for a minute.

Work more with what you have, and try to engage these people in a race on the highway and you should a major difference in 4th, you should fly by them.......

In the 1/4 your barely touching 4th if at all........

Yeah true..... I enjoy the 20g alot I think its perfect if you build the car to it and make it perform fully. Im changing the exhaust housing to a 7-8cm and going external.
Wish I had more money cuz I got that itch on wanting everything I see that kicks a#@ you know.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back