The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

2G Turbo timer removed, car still acting like its there.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Talyn

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 10, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
This car is the gift that keeps on giving....Still getting baffled regularly by how things were setup...
So I couldn't stand the way the wiring to the turbo timer was routed, and didn't like the position of the turbo timer either, so I cut the wire in order to move it, and wound up driving somewhere before hooking it back up(Actually forgot about it and the car started right up). Well oddly enough, the car acted like it was still hooked up, idled for about the same duration before shutting off.
Is there more than one component with a turbo timer, such that I only disconnected a display? Or does DSMlink have a turbo timer option in it?? (car has DSMlink v3 or v3 lite, but I don't have a laptop to hook up atm)

There's a separate box that plugs into the ignition harness, probably located under the dash (behind the steering wheel column) or behind the radio somewhere. If you pulled the display then there were wires hooked up to it leading to the TT box...

Ok, that's what I wondered, never messed with TTs before, and every picture I've seen of one was just a display. They put it on top of the steering column where you can't even see the actual display or the button labels....and then the wire came out behind the steering wheel under the dash, came up through the footwall towards the steering wheel and into the center console through the Radio/HVAC bezel, which aside from looking like shit and being a lazy hacked way of doing it, was a safety hazard too having that wire down there in the foot well, they did something similar with the DSMlink lead. I mean, how much more effort would it have been to just run the wire behind and into the center console, an extra 5 minutes at most. I had to pull the center console to replace the craptastic short shifter with an OEM shifter, and I couldn't even remove the radio bezel completely because that stupid wire was run through it.

I hate seeing lazy crap like that it drives me nuts, for a DSM for what I paid for it, the car itself is mostly in nice shape, but I think the last owner or two did some hackjobs, that I am having to fix or redo in order to make the car nice again. I mean, the intake pipe between turbo and MAF is off of some other car I think, it has a hole in it for something(PCV related I suspect) and they sealed the hole, by JB welding a bottle cap over it....I mean come on....And all the TB vacuum nipples are just crimped shut, the boost gauge isn't even wired, and I'm 99% sure the wires aren't even there, so I can't see it at night, and I need to relocate the Wideband wires because they are touching the return spring on the brake pedal, and getting chewed up because of it...Car has a CF hood that actually seems lined up well, and even the hood pins are decent quality and lined up well, but I guess it was too much trouble to transfer the washer nozzles over even though it has the spots for them in it already. Oh and the power mirror switch was taken apart and put back together backwards. Sometimes I just wish I could meet a person that does hackjobs like these to try to figure out WTF they are thinking when they do this crap.

Unless you have an oil only cooled turbo, a turbo timer is unnecessary. You could just remove it to clean things up.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back