The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

turbo stutters and then finally boosts..

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S Bizzy

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 19, 2004
Detroit, Michigan
Ok heres the deal, usually when driving i'll go up to 2500rpm and shift. i get no problems out of the car or the turbo what so ever as long as i gradually accelerate. but when i jump on the gas and go to 3000rpm or higher then the turbo seems to stutter for a second or so before it finally kicks in. My car did'nt always do this and ive tried to diagnose the problem on my own as either turbo creep or boost leak but it just dont seem to fit those categories. Only mod that i have on my car is a CAI and the problem was happening even before i installed it.

When i went to install the CAI, i noticed that my air filter was missing, could something have gotten in and damaged the turbo which is causing the stutter?

Also I have an oil leak in my car. I cant pinpoint where it's coming from but oil accumilates inside my engine bay between the intake manifold and the valve cover. After long drives, the oil will burn and i would see light smoke coming from under my hood.

so could an oil pressure problem be causing the turbo stutter?

I hope to get a speedy response with this one because i plan to run the car at the track in 4 or 5 weeks and i cant do that if my turbo isent working right and the car is leaking oil.

You're losing oil due to a leaky valve cover gasket. If you replace it you should be good there. Be careful when putting the bolts back in, you don't want to overtorque them or you'll crack the VC.
As far as the stutter when boosting heavy, the first check to do is to pressurize your intake and check for boost leaks. That would be my first guess.

thanks for the help. im doing to take it back to the shop next weekend and let them take a look at that gasket, if thats whats leaking then there gonna fix it free because I told them to change that gasket along with a couple others that were leaking a few weeks ago.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back