The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

Turbo spools up car wont pickup speed like regular, plugs are bright white.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spoolio

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 3, 2003
Port Charlotte, Florida
so yea , my plugs are bright white, and my car spools up but wont go anywhere, i tried to clean my plugs maybe they were kinda fouled or something but when i took them out they were white, and my car wont spool up at all, i turned my psi down to 14-15, it starts to spool up then motor cuts out at WOT once it hits like 14psi at only 3k, i dont get it, maybe my fuel pump is starting to go?, maybe its not gettin enough fuel?, not sure, i gotta try to do a datalogg.

White spark plugs are an indication of lean conditions. I would check out the fuel pump and fuel filter. A boost leak test won't hurt either. I think your car isn't going anywhere because your ECU is probably pulling timing due to not enough fuel.

yea im going to test the FP, but ushally when a fuel pump goes bad, it just goes bad, it really doesnt indicate its failing, but idk, i know where my FP test plug is at, but what do i actually do with that along with a 12+ volt meter?, just plug it in and see if it pours gas out into a can or something?

My car did the same thing, almost felt like fuel cut or as if the car wouldn't go above 40% load. And it was always the same boost level. In the end it was just some really bad spark plug wires. I was shocked that was all it was.

So you have absolutely no fuel mods and are running 15+ psi on a 16g? Not a smart move. You're probably knocking like an SOB and pulling tons of timing. Keep the boost at 14psi or lower until you get the fuel to support your turbo.

I have the same problem sometimes with brand new plugs, wires, 92 gas, 15 psi on a ported 14b. Will floor it, wont go ANYWHERE but it builds boost and the bov is 100x louder when I shift, then I drop it back down and go WOT again, it goes. Happened a few times and cant seem to figure it out.

fwdturbobov1996 said:
I have the same problem sometimes with brand new plugs, wires, 92 gas, 15 psi on a ported 14b. Will floor it, wont go ANYWHERE but it builds boost and the bov is 100x louder when I shift, then I drop it back down and go WOT again, it goes. Happened a few times and cant seem to figure it out.

That condition is caused by your Ecu pulling a heap of timing because it is detecting a TON of knock.

It is possible that it is phantom knock as you can get off the gas and then get straight back onto it without the knock showing up again.

I'd buy a logger of some sort to keep an eye on things ;)

brisvr4 said:
That condition is caused by your Ecu pulling a heap of timing because it is detecting a TON of knock.

It is possible that it is phantom knock as you can get off the gas and then get straight back onto it without the knock showing up again.

I'd buy a logger of some sort to keep an eye on things ;)

I knew it, glad Im getting dsmlink and a 2g knock sensor before teh car comes back. I had a funny feeling about that. I was explaining to my friends " it feels liek I have 50 counts of knock and Im going in reverse almost " haha. Thanks for the help

still cant figure what is going on with my car. im gonna check my fp and fuel filter, then go from there

fwdturbobov1996 said:
I knew it, glad Im getting dsmlink and a 2g knock sensor before teh car comes back. I had a funny feeling about that. I was explaining to my friends " it feels liek I have 50 counts of knock and Im going in reverse almost " haha. Thanks for the help

I'm pretty sure you can't use a 2G knock sensor on a 1G, they're calibrated differently. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, though.

keymaster said:
I'm pretty sure you can't use a 2G knock sensor on a 1G, they're calibrated differently.
You could but it would be wrong unless your running a AEM EMS or 2G ECU. The knock sensor and ECU need to match.

Steve

I believe I read on here you could use a 2g knock sensor cause it was more " sensitive " or something? Maye Im wrong, and probably am, must have read it wrong. Never mind then. Looks like just link and a 1g knock sensor then.

Had it happen to me once, wastegate was stuck open......:toobad: :beatentodeath:

alex said:
Had it happen to me once, wastegate was stuck open......:toobad: :beatentodeath:

ahah. yea but my symptoms are alot differnt. I actually hold boost and progress through the rpm band, just n/t slowly haha.

If your trying to rub it in, your doing a hella job.....:p

no a boost leak would make you run rich, therefore your plugs would be black, sooty and probally soaked with raw fuel. you are running lean....i would start at the tank and work your way forward to the injectors and see if anything is blocking the line. if you know anyone with a fuel pressure guage ( a local mechanic???) try hooking that up to your fuel rail and the pressure should be 26-28psi without the vacuum hose disconected from the regulator.

You're running very very lean, and your car has no power because it's knocking like a sonofabitch. Do a compression test and see what that yields. If you ran lean enough, long enough, you could have damaged a piston or the rings or whatnot.

Ive got the same problem. I can put new plugs in and its fine for a couple of drives then acts up. Boosts good just no pull. I have a logger and it doesnt show pulling any timing it just shows the timing jumping up to like 30 at times which i dont think sounds right but its what the logger shows. So i need help to wisemen!

hey i was just wondering if u ever fixed the prob. my plugs are the same way and i have the same exact symptoms as you...thanks alot

well i fixed the spooling up problem, it was all caused by my timing, it was wayyyy off, i suggest you get a timing light or have a mechanic check it out, should be 5degrees BTDC

heres a link where you can do it yourself. if you dont have one already go out and pick up a 30-40$ timing light at autozone or advanced

http://www.plymouthlaser.com/timin.htm

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back