The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Turbo Shopin'

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Sorrow

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 5, 2010
Las Vegas, Nevada
I'm looking to upgrade my 14B 1st gen turbo to the famous BIG 16-G. I hear a lot about other turbos that are better like T-20s and so on. What would you suggest? Give me a little background on why if you make a suggestion too please. I like to be educated when i make decisions for upgrades.

t20's?
Hrmm, maybe research a bit more...
What are you looking for? Spool time, hp goals, etc....

Do you have the supporting mods for an upgraded turbo?

if you are staying with a stock appering turbo i am going to suggest the mhi evo3.and if you are willing to spend a lil more money the fp hta68 is a nasty lil turbo

I think he may have meant T-28.

Just dont be one of those turds that straps a 20g on his stock system.

I'm new to the details in turbo systems. Big 16G keeps popping up so i wanted to know if that's where i should go and why. If not what else should I do and why? That's my current stand. And my 2G Eclipse has the ported 1G stock 14B turbo. My basic goals are more "get up" as some would say, so I'm thinking that translates to horse power.

well looking at your mods. You need injectors and some form of tuning before you even look at upgrading your turbo. You should definitely max out your current 14b before you upgrade imo. Also, do you even have a boost controller and gauge? If so update your profile.

Well actually more power for you would be upgrading your fuel system and getting a tuning device (DSMlink or SAFC) because I know people running 20 psi on ported 14b's. You need more fuel to mix with the added air to feel more power. If you done gave gigantic power goals a 14b is good because it has almost no lag at all.

He brings up a good question though. I myself have wondered the same question. Supporting mods on my list that I have are safc2, aem wideband, 680 injectors, hks evc 5 for boost control, prosport boost oil temp and pressure and water temp. Also have two different afpr that I'm trying to decide which one to use a tomei and a sard. My goals are far more adventuresome than a little get up. I'm looking to eventually be playing in the low 9's. Yes I already know I need link and bigger injectors but what Turbo would be good for now and then be capable of 9's?

Tripp is heading where i am. I get i need the DSMLink and injectors etc. Im mainly digging on turbo info for future use. DSMLink is my next investment im just wondering why this or why not that.

Well assuming you both run the supporting mods and you want to run 9's you would be looking at Borg Warner's, HX-40 or 35's, and 20g's.

Once you max out your 14B and get injectors, pump, exhaust, and something to tune with check out a Borg Warner s256. It spools like a 16G and out powers a GT30.

I'd say This would be your best bang for the buck... .Easy to install probaly the least to buy, plus you could just run lower boost till you have the fuel system and have room to grow...

I totally agree with MY1GDSM- an Evo III 16G is more than enough turbo for 95% of street-driven DSM's given the amount of airflow it generates, the direct-fit capability, and reliability for the price you pay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Supporting mods on my list that I have are safc2, aem wideband, 680 injectors, hks evc 5 for boost control, prosport boost oil temp and pressure and water temp. I'm looking to eventually be playing in the low 9's. Yes I already know I need link and bigger injectors but what Turbo would be good for now and then be capable of 9's?

Gonna need a bit more than link and bigger injectors for low 9's.;) Don't kid yourself, nines ain't no walk in the park. No disrespect, but asking what turbo you should run for nines tells me your a long way from actually running 9's.

To the O.P. The e316g is the way to go IMHO.:thumb:

Gonna need a bit more than link and bigger injectors for low 9's.;) Don't kid yourself, nines ain't no walk in the park. No disrespect, but asking what turbo you should run for nines tells me your a long way from actually running 9's.

To the O.P. The e316g is the way to go IMHO.:thumb:

Oh don't get me wrong I totally agree with you that I'm a long way from running 9's I still am waiting to send out my extra head and Bock to be built. I was just wondering what Turbo would be an all around Turbo for being able to run low 9's yet still be good on the street. Call me crazy but my goal for my spyder has always been to have it break into the 9's and still drive it on the street. Hey crazy yes. Obtainable probably not. Especially after seeing one of our fellow dsmtuners run 10's and have his car in modified magazine. Its what you would call a work in progress.

I would look into the HTA turbo's that Forced Performance offers. They are a fantastic turbo, great for the strip, while still having that quick spool for the street use.

Agreed on the Evo III 16g for the OP. I loved it on my 95 GSX, quick spool and adequate power made it perfect for the street.

It will give you that extra amount of power you're looking for a reasonable price. You can just run stock boost until you get supporting fuel and tuning mods. Not to mention it will be a direct replacement for your 14b.

I totally agree with MY1GDSM- an Evo III 16G is more than enough turbo for 95% of street-driven DSM's given the amount of airflow it generates, the direct-fit capability, and reliability for the price you pay.

Now the only reason I said the big ones, was because he was talking about wanting to run 9's.

Like the others said, upgrade your fuel system and you said you were going for DSMLink (good choice!). I personally like the 20g, it's a nice turbo IMO. An Evo III 16g is also a really good choice, it's a MEAN street turbo.

You could try to be the first guy to break into the 9's with an e316g :hellyeah:

20g, e316g, and HX35 have all got into the 10's, all are killer street turbo's, even the 14b is down into the 11's??? Just remember that your not going to make it into the 9's on pump gas, and I can't imagine a very good DD.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back